THE ORVILLE - Music Discussion (Bruce Broughton, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Andrew Cottee, Kevin Kaska)

Ollie

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since I don't have the LLL album yet, I couldn't possibly tell you if they are on it or not. 

Alright, well do you know what scenes they accompany? There are a couple pieces I'd love to hear that I know aren't on the album.

LLL just posted a full track (Krill Attack / Shuttle Escape). It has a couple bizarre micro-edits that I wasn't expecting; some degree of music is missing. Luckily (almost) all of the missing material was on the FSM interview.

One thing I'm confused about is the track "Rescuing Pria". This track is quite soft, and is completely different from the bombastic cue that is present in this scene in the episode. I skimmed through the episode quickly and was unable to find this cue in the episode at all. I was really hoping that action cue would be on this set, but oh well.

EDIT: Other than that the music selection is wonderful. I haven't had time to listen to everything yet, but the first half is nothing but great music!

Yes I pre-ordered my copy from LLL as soon as I saw the link.

However, I am listening to this as I type this on Spotify, while I wait for my copy to arrive in the mail.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Listening to McNeely's If the Stars Should Appear now, bloody hell this is great, some cool stuff that wasn't on the promo for this ep, too!

Haha my question is what stuff is on the promo but not this set (i.e., do I need it?)

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Cottee score as I think it is very good and stands up well with the veterans' work.

Yavar

Oh I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet either - Nobody has, they are probably not even in from the plant yet.  That's why I'm listening to it on Spotify

Ha!  I found a WEIRD glitch that affects some online versions of this album, but not others!

First, here is the CORRECT track list with times,as posted here on LLL's site or here on The Planetary Union's fan site.... and also what is up on iTunes / Apple Music here.  I will bold the information you need to look at:

ABOUT A GIRL (1LAB04) Composed by Joel McNeely
14. Western Simulation 1:01
15. Asteroid Destroyed / Relieved of Duty 1:07
16. Arriving on Moclus 1:42
17. Trip to the Mountains 2:15
18. Tribunal Adjourned / Epilogue 3:27

PRIA (1LAB05) Composed by John Debney
19. Rescuing Pria* 3:51
20. Searching Pria's Room / Dark Matter Storm / Navigating the Storm 4:06
21. Approaching the Coordinates / Isaac Saves the Crew* 3:19
22. Pria's Theme 1:41

Now, here is the track list as is currently live on Google PlayAmazon MP3Spotify, and HDTracks:

16. Arriving on Moclus 3:51
17. Trip to the Mountains 1:42
18. Tribunal Adjourned / Epilogue 2:15

19. Rescuing Pria* 3:27

Notice the time switcharoo?  That's because those 4 tracks got all swapped around!

That means if you play the score on one of those 4 services, what you're ACTUALLY hearing is:

16. Arriving on Moclus 3:51 = THIS IS REALLY Rescuing Pria FROM THE NEXT EPISODE!
17. Trip to the Mountains 1:42 = THIS IS REALLY Arriving on Moclus
18. Tribunal Adjourned / Epilogue 2:15 = THIS IS REALLY Trip to the Mountains

19. Rescuing Pria* 3:27 = THIS IS REALLY Tribunal Adjourned / Epilogue FROM THE PRIOR EPISODE!

Hopefully the physical CD will be correct!  I think it will be since the samples on their website point to the right tracks.

@Manakin Skywalker this explains why you were confused this morning.  You must have been listening via Spotify, Google or Amazon, and not iTunes?

Shipping update:

Manufacturer just informed us the cds will be delivered Monday...Tuesday the latest.

Sorry, folks.

Damn Krill!

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134061&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=480#bottom

1 hour ago, Jay said:

@Manakin Skywalker this explains why you were confused this morning.  You must have been listening via Spotify, Google or Amazon, and not iTunes?

YES! Yes, that is the track! I was hoping it would be on here somewhere! Someone I know got early access to the digital version (not sure from where) and sent me the files yesterday morning, which explains the problem. I started listening last night since it'll probably be a week or two before my package arrives. Thank you again for clarifying that error!

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

YES! Yes, that is the track! I was hoping it would be on here somewhere! Someone I know got early access to the digital version (not sure from where) and sent me the files yesterday morning, which explains the problem. I started listening last night since it'll probably be a week or two before my package arrives. Thank you again for clarifying that error!

Yea you just have to rename, renumber, and fix the artist on those 4 tracks and you'll be all set 

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Just watched the episode 'Home.' The music was yet again fu**ing gorgeous! The series just keeps getting better. I love it beyond words. And the cinematography paired with the music in 'Home' was breathtaking.

Just wait for the current episode, "All the World is Birthday Cake", which features that piece of music shared by John Debney not long ago. The episode itself is one of the best yet, and the music is just incredible!

Never enough love for this score. Haven't watched the show but adore, fucking adore, the score! For all of you taking the piss out of Debney and McNeely as Williams imitators, it is so easy to see their styles in the scores here, once the episodes change.

1. The Broughton stuff is the Broughton - professional, theme from Silverado gets a workout

2. The Debney stuff is fantastic - whatever political problems I had with the dude disappear with this coctail of bombastic mayhem. Yes, someone had a good listen to many Silvestri scores....but this is such a treasure trove of riches, check out track 16 cd1, incorretly labelled as McNeely digitally. Awesome Goldsmith / Folk bombasticism (and a bit of a nod to Poledouris)

3. The McNeely stuff is even better. Jesus this stuff is orgasmic. Kill Attack the Orville and The Fight are sensational pieces of film music.

4. The Cottell stuff - what the duck.

That brass figure that kicks off The Fight - that right there is why McNeely is a huge genious. 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:24 PM, Laserschwert said:

Just wait for the current episode, "All the World is Birthday Cake", which features that piece of music shared by John Debney not long ago. The episode itself is one of the best yet, and the music is just incredible!

YUP really great music this week!

7 hours ago, thestat said:

Never enough love for this score. Haven't watched the show but adore, fucking adore, the score!

If you like the music this much, you owe it to yourself to check out the show.  Not just because you'll get to see the context for all the music you already like, but all the episodes feature additional music that isn't on the Season 1 OST that is just as good - and on top of that, it's a generally good show that isn't that hard to get into.  The early episodes are a bit of a slog and feature a wild imbalance of jokes and story, but they fall into a groove after a bit and the rest of the show finds a much better balance than those early, awkward eps.

For all of you taking the piss out of Debney and McNeely as Williams imitators, it is so easy to see their styles in the scores here, once the episodes change.

1. The Broughton stuff is the Broughton - professional, theme from Silverado gets a workout

Yea I definitely like Broughton's pilot score the least out of all the ones on the season 1 OST.  It's just... perfunctory?  It sticks to one basic sound the entire time while the other scores all move and change.  It's fine, but Debney and McNeely do more interesting things with his main theme in their episode scores than he ever does in his.

2. The Debney stuff is fantastic - whatever political problems I had with the dude disappear with this coctail of bombastic mayhem. Yes, someone had a good listen to many Silvestri scores....but this is such a treasure trove of riches, check out track 16 cd1, incorretly labelled as McNeely digitally. Awesome Goldsmith / Folk bombasticism (and a bit of a nod to Poledouris)

Yea that Rescuing Pria track is pretty dope, shame about the online mix-up - I hope it gets fixed!

3. The McNeely stuff is even better. Jesus this stuff is orgasmic. Kill Attack the Orville and The Fight are sensational pieces of film music.

McNeely does seem to have more better scores than Debney does so far, but this week's Debney score was pretty great so as time goes on they'll both get plenty of chances to score all kinds of different things.  Can't wait.

4. The Cottell stuff - what the duck.

Does that mean you like it or don't like it?

I haven't seen anything posted, and I haven't received a shipping notice.

I think it's just that the remaining CD pressing plants in the US all suck.  The labels should probably just stop announcing anything until they actually have received stock at this point

I don't remember the context in the episode (though it's obvious), but the space battle section of Track 9 always reminds me of Attacking a Star Destroyer. 

I got a shipping notice for the physical edition on Friday, and tracking says it'll be delivered to my house today.

Any JWFanners get theirs already?

That brass figure that kicks off The Fight - that right there is why McNeely is a huge genious, especially when it kicks into high gear in the first minute of the track. The Cottell stuff, in response to Jay, seems much more like Original Series Star Trek, probably on intention. But it's not exactly the fireworks that McNeely, especially, provides with his impeccable command of brass.

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday!

As expected it's a sealed copy, with an additional second booklet in the envelope.  My booklet was signed by John Debney only; I assume he ended up being the only one to sign any?  I don't think they said ahead of time which composers might be signing

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't think they said ahead of time which composers might be signing 

Nope, MV just said the first 150~ orders "should" get an autograph of some sort. Honestly after the delay I wasn't expecting any at all, so I was pleasantly surprised!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 3:05 PM, Jay said:

I'm working on a spreadsheet comparing OST to promo now!

Jay, did you ever finish the spreadsheet? Absolutely loving this score!!

20 hours ago, bondo said:

Jay, did you ever finish the spreadsheet? Absolutely loving this score!!

Wow!  I hadnt realized I never posted that here.  Looking at it again, it's because I never figured out the "Firestorm" episode sequence of cues.  If anyone wants to help out with that, pelase share your findings here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11G_A8bMDZ9Y4U2jvI5gNexh4kBIco_rfPvOGuG80srA/edit?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow!  I hadnt realized I never posted that here.  Looking at it again, it's because I never figured out the "Firestorm" episode sequence of cues.  If anyone wants to help out with that, pelase share your findings here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11G_A8bMDZ9Y4U2jvI5gNexh4kBIco_rfPvOGuG80srA/edit?usp=sharing

What is this promo exactly? I never heard of a promo being released.