THE ORVILLE - Music Discussion (Bruce Broughton, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Andrew Cottee, Kevin Kaska)

Ollie

FYI ON THIS RELEASE

We didn't expect this to be announced so soon so we are a little late with some of the info. Glad the word is out now though.

We might have autographed copies for the first 100 or so orders...MIGHT. So if you order now and we do have signed copies you'll get one...but that is not a selling point nor a guarantee. I repeat we MIGHT have signed copies. Regardless, the music is amazing and we are so happy that we were able to release season 2!

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142525&forumID=1&archive=0

Ah crap I didn't even see the announcement until around 8PM CST, so I probably missed out on the potential autographed copies. Season 1 was announced before the pre-orders went up so I was able to be one of the first to order it.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:04 AM, Laserschwert said:

Not exactly no where. Dan Goldwasser hinted at it shortly before Black Friday.

On FSM? I didn't hear anything about it, so this was a big surprise to me!

31 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

On FSM? I didn't hear anything about it, so this was a big surprise to me!

It was on Twitter. Seth McFarlane posted a clip from the S2 recording sessions, so I automatically had to ask when it would finally release. Dan Goldwasser answered with a "Good things come to those who wait" GIF (which LLL liked as well), so I assumed it would be part of LLL's Black Friday batch. Well, at least it wasn't far behind.

I linked those Tweets in the BF speculation thread on here.

5 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

It was on Twitter. Seth McFarlane posted a clip from the S2 recording sessions, so I automatically had to ask when it would finally release. Dan Goldwasser answered with a "Good things come to those who wait" GIF (which LLL liked as well), so I assumed it would be part of LLL's Black Friday batch. Well, at least it wasn't far behind.

I linked those Tweets in the BF speculation thread on here.

I think I recall your post now that you mention it. I guess I just didn't expect it to happen so soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Identity Part 1 was easily one of the most exciting and satisfying hours of television I saw in 2019

Too bad Part 2 wasn't as good...

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It was still *good* though...just not *as* good. But I would say the same about "The Best of Both Worlds" to be perfectly honest...

Yavar

The difference though being that Identity was written as one piece, while BoBW Part 2 was written after Part 1 aired, without a resolution thought of when writing part 1.

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

They posted that video on Facebook last week, but the audio quality wasn't very good. This is much better!

It looks like Goldwasser put it on Vimeo back on Dec 15

https://vimeo.com/491284172/24b8e3f107

Is that sound quality better/worse than the youtube version?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It looks like Goldwasser put it on Vimeo back on Dec 15

https://vimeo.com/491284172/24b8e3f107

Is that sound quality better/worse than the youtube version?

I'll have to check it later when I'm at my computer. I think YouTube by default has a higher frequency cutoff.

I never noticed before, but clearly Fighting with Grievous was used as a temp track for a few sections of this track:

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/OrvilleS2/2_05_BFE.mp3

(Particularly at 0:09 and again at 0:28, plus I just re-watched that part of the episode and there are a lot more references not in the sample)

It's really cool the little details you can pick up on when listening to the music on it's own!

So I'd guess out of the 12 scores, the top tier ones for me are certainly:

If The Stars Should Appear / Majority Rule / Firestorm / Mad Idolatry

The middle tier would be

About A Girl / Pria / Krill / Into The Fold

And the final tier would be

Old Wounds / Command Performance / Cupid's Dagger / New Dimensions

Can't wait to hear 14 new scores next week!

I was listening to some bits and bobs from season 1 the other day. I know virtually nothing about the series but like what I've heard.. I might pick up both sets at some point.

Karol

If you've ever liked any Star Trek TV shows, you'd probably like The Orville too. The early episodes are heavy on dick and fart joke style humor, but they organically move away from that and it becomes more balanced after that.  Basically it's Star Trek: The Next Generation style plots and characters, but with more humor

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you've ever liked any Star Trek TV shows, you'd probably like The Orville too. The early episodes are heavy on dick and fart joke style humor, but they organically move away from that and it becomes more balanced after that.  Basically it's Star Trek: The Next Generation style plots and characters, but with more humor

Pretty much that! And it's probably a lot better after 2 seasons (and less than half as many episodes over the same number of years) than TNG was. For anyone who isn't really feeling it for Discovery or Picard, the Orville is much closer in tone to the 90's Trek shows, but with better production values. Not that they lacked, but FX tech moves on; the ship FX are only marginally better, there's just more of them (and not as good as the Mandalorian, for example), although the Orville itself is a bit of a meh design, certainly not as iconic as the Enterprise. However, the music is much closer to the Trek movies than the TV shows, one episode is pretty a pastiche of The Motion Picture, but generally it's more tone than anything specific.

Indeed, the main issue I'd have with it is that some of the alien species are so clearly meant to be a pastiche/riff/whatever of specific Trek aliens or characters (Moclans = Klingons, Kaylon/Isaac = Data with a hint of Borg etc. Krill = Romulans (bit more of a stretch) and others) that it's a shame they didn't let McFarlane just make a more trad Star Trek series alongside Discovery/Picard, like the upcoming Strange New Worlds is likely to be.

But definitely psyched for the new album...

My Season 2 OST album I ordered direct from LLL has shipped!  Tracking says it left Burbank 6:06 yesterday and ended up in Santa Clarita that night. 

Now it's a race to see if it gets to my house before I'm already listening on Spotify or not!

I got mine today and have already given it one listen.  Excellent album, great selection of cues.  I actually stopped watching season 2 after the first few episodes, but I loved McNeely's score to the Alara returns home episode and the best cues are here, thank goodness.  Really outstanding release.

Season 2 OST album is up on all the streaming / digital purchase sites!

https://open.spotify.com/album/42oLOhXPOE2Cn5d0kEYN5O?si=Mb5t_qlnTniSRd1y169exw

https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-orville-original-television-soundtrack-season-2/1548346772

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T698QGN/

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/the-orville-various-artists/mh729gp6l9iqb

I searched Tidal and HDTracks but didn't see it there

On Youtube I could find any track individually but couldn't figure out how to see the whole album ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bought it digitally today. The quieter passages ("System Searching", "Possible Life", "Laura's Theme" etc.) are quite convincing and have a remarkable symphonic quality for a TV series. The unimaginatively crescendoing string clusters of Dennis McCarthy and other TNG composers (Ron Jones not included, of course) can't even come close to keeping up with The Oriville . The action scoring (e.g. in "Battle for Earth") is skillfully crafted, but does not leave a lasting impression. Nevertheless, the cleverly integrated quotes from the great sci-fi scores of the Silver Age are a nice treat; for example, the string ostinato in the finale of "Activating the Device", which is very strikingly reminiscent of "Snowspeeder Rescue".

All in all, a great orchestral score for a series. However, nothing here really sweeps me off my feet in the long run. I can't get rid of the feeling that in the absence of new really excellent (genre) scores, pretty much everything with a big orchestra and a classical scoring approach is hyped here and on similar boards. Tough times for film music fans...

On 22/01/2021 at 10:56 AM, Jay said:

"Interrogation / The Aliens Attack" is a nice homage to Belly of the Steel Beast!

Been listening to this on Spotify while working today.

One track really stood out (could be that one?); but it reminded me of Independence Day instead...

Specifically, "The Darkest Day".

Dunno I'm listening while working too and not always picking up on everything or looking at track titles

I'll be giving it much more dedicated listens another time

My physical copy won't be here today, tracking now says I should have it tomorrow

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So the physical edition has a huge HULU sticker slapped on the shrinkwrap

OrvilleS2hulu2.jpg

And my bonus booklet is autographed by .... John Debney?? And.. ????

OrvilleS2sigs2.jpg

Well it’s not Jerry Dobson who signed my copy of Night Crossing. Although he did have a suspicious ponytail.

I mean the second signature looks more like "Andrew Cottee" than "Joel McNeely" but it also doesn't actually look like any english letters at all