THE ORVILLE - Music Discussion (Bruce Broughton, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Andrew Cottee, Kevin Kaska)

Ollie

Listening through McNeely's score for episode 3. I like his theme for the episode. It gets a few nice variations throughout. A nicely flexible theme that works as an otherworldly mystery theme and one of fear and awe.

At 0:46 in 'Signs of Life,' that little brass flourish is familar. Perhaps McNeely has used it before in past seasons.

Listening through episode 5. Man what a gorgeous score for that episode. Kind of confused about it not being just Cottee's episode, considering I thought each composer stuck to their episodes, as McNeely has said he had no idea what other wrote for their episodes until he saw them... But ep5 score 'A Tale of Two Topas' credits 3 composers; Cottee as primary, and then Kaska and McNeely.

Anyway, damn the score is so lush and powerful. It's like a celebration of 90's classic romantic scores from people like JNH, with some Horner and Silvestri thrown in there. 'Official Orders' is like a classical composer reworked Broughton's main title. It's just so much fun to listen to!

Seems like Qobuz has two new masters for this coming on April 7:

The initial release is still available: https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/album/the-orville-new-horizons-various-artists/wgfc3mwhebubc

I wonder how that works for people who bought the album when it came out last month? :huh:

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I assume this is to fix the tiny error in track 36?

I'm glad I brought that up. I was so close so not even mentioning it :lol:

Boy, I hope I don't have to pay another $40/50 for this or I'll be pissed...

3 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Yeah, but what did they fix, is what I meant

The opening was cut off a bit previously. It's such an obscure minor glitch that I guarantee I'm probably the only one who noticed it, and then had the gall to complain about it. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This is great music.  It's a love letter to Williams throughout, and then every now and then it turns into a stalker letter. 

"hEY jOHNNY!!!  wHAT WeRE YoU WEariNG WheN yOu WrOtE THE bATTLE OF hOTH???  i'M wearING IT tOoOoOoO!!!!"

I've heard SpaceCamp, Yoda's theme, the March of the Resistance, even "I Can Fly Anything" at one point in there.  And it runs the gamut from note-for-note melodic similarity to a sort of spiritual, structural paint-by-numbers that's even weirder when it dawns on you.

But whatever.  The music is gorgeous, and there are lots of cues that are either more original or haven't revealed their provenance to my ear yet.

Still listening through the score, one episode at a time. I've re-listened to each episode over and over again, treating each one like its own separate score to be examined and enjoyed. 

On episode 7 at the moment; From Unknown Graves. Debney really shines in this one, with the delicate and romantic writing. The piano and woodwinds are particularly beautiful and I love the patience of this episode's score. It breathes and flows gorgeously. 

Yea I really haven't given this album the time and attentive ear it deserves.  Probably due to it being released as a giant 4 hour thing all at once a year after I saw the episodes.

If this had gotten weekly albums after each episode aired like Mando 1 and WandaVision, holy cow would that have been a whole different experience

Yeah I agree.  I have a tough time digesting some of these huge digital music dumps and trying to remember the episodes without liner notes.

It's pretty easy and digestible to listen to each episode's score on their own.

I was overwhelmed at first, but then stopped trying to madly listen to all 72 pieces at the same time. It's been weeks and I'm only on episode 8. I'm already very familiar with each score and their ideas, as a result.

They're all like mini-movies anyway, so each score works narratively as a solo entity. Some have their own main theme that carries throughout their episode, with development and resolution. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still on episode 8, Midnight Blue. Love this score. McNeely has some really magical moments. Like 'Sweet Moment/Beautiful Sight' makes me think he would be a good choice for a Harry Potter project.

And 1:30 in 'Union Central' is perhaps the most badass reveal of the Orville ship itself.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's amazing and the episodes themselves were amazing too.  I wish it got more viewers and we could get a third season :(

I heard it did quite well on hulu and disney+ but not sure. It was top 10 for a long time in viewers.

I think it wont get a 4th season with Disney, simply because Disney are losing so much money with streaming and their theatrical movies are losing so much too.

• 3 months later...