THE ORVILLE - Music Discussion (Bruce Broughton, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Andrew Cottee, Kevin Kaska)

Ollie

More elaboration from MV

"I just want to clarify that we absolutely love and adore the show and it's music. The unfortunate thing is no one cares about cds for new TV shows or films anymore. From time to time we will do a CD release of a new project but the only reason we are still in business is because of titles like Field of Dreams or Xmen...Fiddler on the Roof or Star Trek. That's what consumers want on CD and/or vinyl...not the new stuff. Why pay $15 or $20 for a CD when you can just stream it for free because some asshole puts it up on YouTube or other sites like bittorrent? Or if you pay a few bucks a month for Spotify or Amazon you can literally stream all the new product you want for practically nothing. It's a harsh reality but digital won.

MV"

It's just sad. The digital generation has ruined physical media. Soon nothing will be made physical and that will be very bad for media moving forward, because the studios and artists etc can just change the original whenever they want and it'll just be updated on a streaming service and the original will be lost forever.

I mean Star Wars already did that. I don't know how to find an original copy of Star Wars as it was seen in theatres in 1977.

I'm also a big fan of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's motorbike adventures, and I have their Long Way Round and Long Way Down DVD's, but there is no physical media at all of their new trip Long Way Up. It's only on a damn streaming service. 

And now we have cryptocurrency and that NFT thing, whatever the hell that is.

I know I'm the literal 'Old man yells at cloud' meme, but I'm only 32 and I feel this way already. 

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

More elaboration from MV

"I just want to clarify that we absolutely love and adore the show and it's music. The unfortunate thing is no one cares about cds for new TV shows or films anymore. From time to time we will do a CD release of a new project but the only reason we are still in business is because of titles like Field of Dreams or Xmen...Fiddler on the Roof or Star Trek. That's what consumers want on CD and/or vinyl...not the new stuff. Why pay $15 or $20 for a CD when you can just stream it for free because some asshole puts it up on YouTube or other sites like bittorrent? Or if you pay a few bucks a month for Spotify or Amazon you can literally stream all the new product you want for practically nothing. It's a harsh reality but digital won.

MV"

I think I bought both digitally (bought not streamed) so clearly I’m contributing to the problem lol but then I don’t really object to digital only releases if it’s in lossless.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Seth Macfarlane has posted two season 3 score clips on instagram

A Joel McNeely cue: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXAqJ3QDUx3/

And an Andrew Cottee cue: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXkcD81jo1D/

That Cottee one is great!

WOW! HOLY SH*T.

I tell you man, Andrew Cottee is incredible and he seemingly came out of nowhere. His music for season 1 when they go into 2D space is so singular to that episode and stands out very well. And his contributions to season 2 with the Deflectors episode of bombastic action and with again a very singular sound for the Moclan female sanctuary planet. He's going to be one to watch going forward in his composing career. 

After all the chatter and the news of Orville season 3 being held back till June I bit the bullet and finally snagged a copy of Season 2 on Disc. 

Man I love this stuff and honestly it's one of the few places keeping orchestral TV writing alive but wow I can really hear some spots where they didn't stray far from a possible temp track... I mean if your gonna temp track I guess using Horner (Kahn), Goldsmith (TMP and even some Insurrection), Williams (Lots of Star Wars Original trilogy and Prequels) and even some David Arnold (Independence day) is the way to go. Even some nice Blaster beam in there in a few spots.

Trying to sit back and just enjoy but sometimes I can't stop the ... "Hey That sounds awfully familiar!" in places. 

Timelines on these must be super short and truly I am loving these but kind of hard to miss sometimes. 

Just now, Jay said:

I don't mind it, it all comes together so well

That's very true even if parts of it are shall we say "very inspired by" the whole is done so very very well. 

• 1 month later...

I love Seth.  He produces these love letters to significant science and sci-fi series like Cosmos and Star Trek and does a damn fine job at it.  He's so funny too!  Check this fantastic cosmic panel with him, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Ann Druyan (Carl Sagan's wife and co-writer of Cosmos 1980 and much else).  He's sharp and so funny too!

• 2 months later...

He was listed right in the opening credits too, not the end credits. Did prior seasons credit the composers up front? 

Surprised you haven't heard of Kevin Kaska @Manakin Skywalker. He actually reconstructed Williams' Superman for Varese re-recording. And he co-wrote Lair video game score with John Debney. In fact he wrote some of the better action cues for that. 

And he also released an album with a collection of his very "filmic" standalone orchestral pieces:

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He was listed right in the opening credits too, not the end credits. Did prior seasons credit the composers up front? 

No they never did, only the main cast and MacFarlane as the showrunner for the opening credits sequence, then the title of the episode, the additional cast, then all producers and related, the writer and finally the director but no composer

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2022 at 6:48 PM, Dr. Know said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cfk8xQxjfnt/

Seth posted a beautiful cue on Instagram. What a tease.

And it begins with the beautiful love theme for Claire and Isaac from Cottee's other score for 'A Happy Refrain.' 

And I guess we now know where this great cue came from -

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXkcD81jo1D/

It was used as the crew gather for Bortus' musical performance.

Man I love the Orville.

On 04/07/2022 at 7:48 PM, Dr. Know said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cfk8xQxjfnt/

Seth posted a beautiful cue on Instagram. What a tease.

Gorgeous!!! Let's hope it's a the (long) score album!!

And Seth is posting muaic from The Orville regularly on his Instagram. 

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

The music in S3 is truly  next level - and it was great to begin with!

I can't wait to begin S3. I only have 2 episodes from S2 to go.

And let's hope that a release is happing on the day after the final episodes. And not months later, like with the other seasons.

19 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And let's hope that a release is happing on the day after the final episodes. And not years later, like with the other seasons.

Fixed.

Well... Seth 'released' that final cue from Episode 5 because of many requests. If we want a score release, we should tell him that. On every platform.

15 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This would've been THE show to do album releases for each episode. There better be a long release (even longer than the previous seasons).

^ This right there.

On 09/07/2022 at 4:30 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

At this point I'm not a fan of Charly Burke. Let's see what happens later in the season.

I figure, the Kaylon are the big bads now and have killed a lot of people, so it’s useful to have a surrogate representing the way most Union members are likely to view the Kaylon. You’ve got to have someone on the bridge who has an emotional stake in this war. The established characters are soft on Isaac thanks to their past history of rightfully trusting him.

As for the actress, she’s cute but doesn’t convincingly pull off the competence and seriousness and hurt that supposedly define the character. My wife hisses whenever she sees her. Ha! So far she’s okay window dressing for me and I’m willing to give her a chance when it’s time for her to really be important.

My main problem is Ed Mercer, honestly. He’s just along for the ride, and to me that’s a real weak point in the show. Han Solo, James Kirk, Jack O'Neill, Mal Reynolds, characters like that pull off both audience surrogate and protagonist driving the action. They are always in control of the situation.

On 09/07/2022 at 12:11 PM, rough cut said:

The music in S3 is truly next level - and it was great to begin with!

Yes!

On 09/07/2022 at 5:30 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

This would've been THE show to do album releases for each episode. There better be a long release (even longer than the previous seasons).

YES!!!  You are spot on - this is THE show to do it!  Each of these scores are long, fully orchestral, have their own beginning middle and end, etc.  Every Friday an album should be coming out under that composer's name for that week's score!  It deserves it more than anything I can ever remember watching!

I've only seen 3 episodes so far, but there's just no way - NO WAY!  A 2-CD set will be able to deliver all the highlights this time.  MAYBE a 4-CD set.  But digital albums for each episode would be preferred!  Damn!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've only seen 3 episodes so far, but there's just no way - NO WAY!  A 2-CD set will be able to deliver all the highlights this time.  MAYBE a 4-CD set.  But digital albums for each episode would be preferred!  Damn!

If they do a digital album they could include as much music as they want. Especially with the budget of the series gone up.

Hell, they released a 4 hour album for Justice League. So why not for this.

Anything is possible with digital releases.

I'll just check Joel McNeely's itunes in the week of the final episode. When on NZ time we should get a bit of news earlier

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to watch S3 when it hits Disney+ in my country.

I've only been reading stuff people here write about the music. And an added choir sounds terrific. Can't wait!!

Damn can't wait to catch up and hear more music.  I've loved all the scores in the season so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Something I didn't realize until just now; Domino didn't have the first appearance of the choir, Shadow Realms did. It's very difficult to hear unless you isolate the rear channels, not only because the choir itself is rather quiet, but all of the loud alien sounds obscuring the entire cue as well.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Something I didn't realize until just now; Domino didn't have the first appearance of the choir, Shadow Realms did. It's very difficult to hear unless you isolate the rear channels, not only because the choir itself is rather quiet, but all of the loud alien sounds obscuring the entire cue as well.

I thought I also heard a choir when the Krill ship left the Orville in this episode.

Nothing yet.

Maybe today or tomorrow now the series is out on Disney+. But I have the feeling it's gonna take a while like with the other seasons.

Seth hasn't posted anything about the music on his Instagram, which he has done in the past.

I keep thinking it's weird that none of the composers or filmmakers have said anything about an album. Even though all of them are aware of it's brilliance and the fact that so many people love the music.

Just finished the season. Some very special moments musically. I love the continued usage of old songs orchestrally arranged from classic hollywood films. Seth really is a nostalgic master at how he uses those showtunes and classic songs to tell a narrative.

• 3 weeks later...