Fog on the Barrow Downs - a new Tolkien short film (2019)

tannhauser

Hello folks,

Was going to put this in the Composer’s Thread, but I really want to bring the film to your attention and not just the score!

Fog on the Barrow Downs is a new Tolkien “fan film” which is currently in post production. “Fan Film” really sells it short I feel, as the quality and passion that has gone into this film is extremely impressive. It’s an original story set in Middle Earth, written and directed by my friend Patrick Robinson, who is also undertaking acting, costume and prop design, cinematography, sound design and visual effects and almost everything else. 

I will be composing the score, and have written the cue for this trailer.  I told him he really needed a better composer than me, but he’s quite insistent that they’re all dead!

Without further ado, here it is!

I hope this whets your appetite for an interesting little excursion into Middle Earth!

On 12/29/2018 at 11:38 PM, tannhauser said:

I told him he really needed a better composer than me, but he’s quite insistent that they’re all dead!

John Williams is still alive! ;)

Nice score, btw. It sounds very much like Howard Shore, which I guess is what you were aiming at.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

John Williams is still alive! ;)

Nice score, btw. It sounds very much like Howard Shore. which I guess is what you were aiming at.

Great point!  It's about time Williams did a Middle-Earth score 😉 

Thank you.  I can't deny that HS is one of my biggest influences as a composer, and for this trailer score, there are certainly some of his trademarks present, with the choral elements, divisi high strings and minor third relations.  I hope to steer away from this style somewhat when it comes to the actual score however.