91st Annual Academy Awards Discussion Thread

John

1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

This is not a joke; there has been a mistake. First Man, you are nominated

Who would you have as a winner, @Fabulin?

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

But we all know why the film was nominated for Best Picture. And it wasn't because the Academy thought it was one of the 8 best films of the year.

This.

Sorry, but anyone trying to pretend it's been nominated because it's a good film is dancing around the giant elephant hurtling through the room. Maybe voters did like the film as well, but I'll eat my hat if that was the only reason they wanted this held up as best picture.

Mary Poppins probably has genuine justification for a musical nomination - while I don't personally go for it, every other comment I've read about the score has been very positive.

Kind sucks that Disney screwed Powell over Solo though. Hands down my favourite score of the year.

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Only 3 US films have ever broken 700 million dollars in domestic grosses. All three received best picture nominations as of today.

The Force Awakens certainly did not receive a Best Picture nomination.  What are you talking about?

I enjoyed Black Panther like @leeallen01 however to praise it for being culturally significant is a little much. It didn't really do anything to speak to the issues surrounding the treatment of black people in the time of Black Lives Matter, and instead sabotaged that message through a weak, deluded villain who would commit the most heinous acts to achieve what? He lead an assault on Wakanda to seize control not to use the technology to benefit humanity - but quite literally - to arm the impoverished black people of America with laser guns to fight prejudice and injustice. It's fucking stupid.

Don't get me started on Wakanda - a technological paradise that refuses to help the starving, homeless and destitute men, women and children around them in Africa. What the fuck? Yes, they wanted to keep the technology from the hands of tyrants and the rest of the world a secret, but they're responsible for the suffering of millions of people!

18 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Don't get me started on Wakanda - a technological paradise that refuses to help the starving, homeless and destitute men, women and children around them in Africa. What the fuck? Yes, they wanted to keep the technology from the hands of tyrants and the rest of the world a secret, but they're responsible for the suffering of millions of people!

First, yes it is a fundamentally flawed premise.

Second, it is not real.

Parallels aside.....

7 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

First Man

Exactly!

9 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Solo

That one was also good, but I’m sorry to say that First Man was better.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The Force Awakens certainly did not receive a Best Picture nomination.  What are you talking about?

Oops I forgot

Oh well .perhaps it should have. It certainly was among the best films that year

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

It had that one black guy who was in the first movie with combined screentime of 12 seconds and even an Asian family.

WHOA! He just stole that guy's PIZZA!

On 1/22/2019 at 10:47 PM, Josh500 said:

I hope Alfonso Cuaron wins! 

Other than that, I don't really care about this year's Oscars.

I hope not. Not a fan. He made the overrated PoA and the monumentally overrated, hell it was awful, children of men.

The white privilege here is getting deep.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Now, PINK Panther, on the other hand. THAT's a great score.

Yes! The Mancini score for the first one is one I listen to a lot.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Yes! The Mancini score for the first one is one I listen to a lot.

PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN is probably my favourite of the lot.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN is probably my favourite of the lot.

I don't know that one as well as the first one but it's also great!

Pink Panther was good but not as good as Mary Poppins

This time its Black Panther against Mary poppins

7 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I hope not. Not a fan. He made the overrated PoA and the monumentally overrated, hell it was awful, children of men.

The white privilege here is getting deep.

You seem to have a terribly low opinion of PoA, but actually you're right! 

Not that PoA was bad, but if both John Williams and Chris Columbus didn't win for their work on the HP series (who put all the trouble and energy and creativity into creating the movie series), why should Cuaron win? That wouldn't be fair at all! But of course, since when are the Oscars known for their fairness.

Ergo: I don't give a shit at all about the Oscars this year. And probably never will again. 

I get how you feel but I take each Oscars as its own thing. Great years like 1982 is always dramatic and in that case one of the best if not the best overall  year ever.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

You seem to have a terribly low opinion of PoA, but actually you're right! 

Not that PoA was bad, but if both John Williams and Chris Columbus didn't win for their work on the HP series (who put all the trouble and energy and creativity into creating the movie series), why should Cuaron win? That wouldn't be fair at all! But of course, since when are the Oscars known for their fairness.

Ergo: I don't give a shit at all about the Oscars this year. And probably never will again. 

Because that's totally how annual awards shows work!