Dracula vs Bram Stoker's Dracula  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite score?

• Dracula
    • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  2. 2. Which one has better liner notes?

• Dracula
    • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  3. 3. From Dracula, which is your favorite presentation?

4. 4. From Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is your favorite presentation?

• Composed score
    • Soundtrack album
  5. 5. What is your favorite film?

• Dracula
    • Bram Stoker's Dracula

Both scores are gorgeous and the previously unavailable material is outstanding; but the Kilar one is by far the best, and with the expansion it blows me. I love all the score presentation that has been putted in the Kilar expansion, with great highlights as race against the sunset and rules café waltz and all the original versions. Awesome we got both Draculas last year

7 hours ago, Thor said:

No option for film? The Coppola film is superior, but I like the Williams score just a TAD bit more.

Done

I don't know why you people think that Dracula has better liner notes when they are very sparse, and although I'm a fan of John Williams and I like very much his score for Dracula, I love Bram Stoker's Dracula. As a matter of fact, back on the day this soundtrack was released (not a soundtrack fan yet) I bought it for the Annie Lennox song, just to realize that the score was magnificent

I have not heard the Kilar expansion, just the OST.

I have seen neither movie, but couldn't opt out of voting.

I like Kilar's score better.

I like Williams' liner notes better, having not seen the Kilar liners.

I prefer the Dracula OST to its expansion.

I like the Kilar OST, and don't have interest in expanding it.

I voted for the newer version because it looks less cheesy in still photographs.

A scientifically sound voting strategy!

On 1/2/2019 at 4:45 AM, Brundlefly said:

Dracula - better score and far better film!

This, this, THIS.

The Coppola film I absolutely loathe apart from the very fine music. Absolutely excruciating, and I can't fathom why it is so beloved.

The 70s Dracula may actually be my favorite Dracula film by process of elimination, though it is also a horrible adaptation of the novel. I'm so tired of sexy Draculas! Sure there is a sexual subtext to vampirism, but as a character he's not supposed to be remotely sexy!

Yavar

P.S. The Dracula DE liner notes were fine but I wish they had been more extensive, especially considering there were TWO booklets. Mostly photos, sadly. So I gave that one to the Kilar LLL release.

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Coppola film I absolutely loathe apart from the very fine music. Absolutely excruciating, and I can't fathom why it is so beloved.

The Coppola film has a fantastic score (although maybe not better than JW's Dracula) as well as stunning, breathtaking art direction! This film looks absolutely gorgeous!

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The Coppola film has a fantastic score (although maybe not better than JW's Dracula) as well as stunning, breathtaking art direction! This film looks absolutely gorgeous!

I agree on the score, but the film looks very stagebound to me. I guess I can understand people admiring the look, however.

But see...the story, script, characters, *performances* are all of primary importance to me. I usually love Gary Oldman. Really dislike him in this movie. I usually love Anthony Hopkins. He gives, without a doubt, the worst performance of his career here...horrible accent of course (he acknowledges that), but also horrible delivery. ("She's a WHORE of the DEvil!"). None of the characters remotely resemble their book counterparts, so I resent the "Bram Stoker's" in the title and them acting like this was finally a faithful adaptation of the novel. Including the characters by name only doesn't count. And oh dear GOD don't even get me started on Keanu Reeves as the brilliant English lawyer. The only casting I appreciated was, um...Monica Belluci.

Yavar

12 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I agree on the score, but the film looks very stagebound to me. I guess I can understand people admiring the look, however.

But see...the story, script, characters, *performances* are all of primary importance to me. I usually love Gary Oldman. Really dislike him in this movie. I usually love Anthony Hopkins. He gives, without a doubt, the worst performance of his career here...horrible accent of course (he acknowledges that), but also horrible delivery. ("She's a WHORE of the DEvil!"). None of the characters remotely resemble their book counterparts, so I resent the "Bram Stoker's" in the title and them acting like this was finally a faithful adaptation of the novel. Including the characters by name only doesn't count. And oh dear GOD don't even get me started on Keanu Reeves as the brilliant English lawyer. The only casting I appreciated was, um...Monica Belluci.

Well, I think you're a bit harsh. I don't think it's that bad. While it has some faults and weaknesses, it has a lot going for it too! I think this movie is supposed to look a bit stage-like... That's part of this movie's charm. Coupled with the dramatic and over-the-top score, it feels a bit like a B-movie or a grand opera, theatrical and artificial... and yet it works!

Besides, I love Winona Ryder in this. When this movie came out, I was like ten or eleven years old, and I remember having a major crush on her back then! 😂 😍

images (14).jpeg

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Sounds like you appreciate her looks more than her performance/character in this. ;)

That too, certainly, but not only. 

Like I said, I find the entire movie fascinating and rather mesmerising, the visuals, the score, the direction... and of course Winona! :)

I like Bram Stoker's Dracula, also for its opera/theatre style. I agree with Yavar to a certain degree. Ryder and especially Oldman get two thumbs up from me, Hopkins and especially Reeves get two thumbs down from me.

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I like Bram Stoker's Dracula, also for its opera/theatre style. I agree with Yavar to a certain degree. Ryder and especially Oldman get two thumbs up from me, Hopkins and especially Reeves get two thumbs down from me.

Read the book sometime (it's a darn good yarn) if you really want to understand my true hatred for this film. :)

Yavar

On 1/3/2019 at 6:07 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Ha, ha...I consider it one of the finest films of the entire 90s! Funny how tastes can diverge so radically.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

In the end, the film is neither excruciating nor one of the finest films of the entire 90s. These are two very strong opinions on a film that is alright.

Boooo! Either you love it or hate it. No middle ground allowed.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:42 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

Read the book sometime (it's a darn good yarn) if you really want to understand my true hatred for this film. :)

Yavar

You know, I've read the epistolary novel when I was 12 or so! 

But seriously, the book is the book, the movie is the movie. Totally different medium. I appreciate the movie for what it is! 

But there are tons of Dracula film adaptations! Have you see just these two, of anything else?

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

You know, I've read the epistolary novel when I was 12 or so! 

But seriously, the book is the book, the movie is the movie. Totally different medium. I appreciate the movie for what it is! 

But there are tons of Dracula film adaptations! Have you see just these two, of anything else?

No I’ve seen quite a few Dracula films. None of them is a remotely faithful adaptation of the novel. I guess the closest (which isn’t saying much) is the silent film Nosferatu. At least it better captures the feel of a Stoker vampire.

Yavar

29 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

No I’ve seen quite a few Dracula films. None of them is a remotely faithful adaptation of the novel. I guess the closest (which isn’t saying much) is the silent film Nosferatu. At least it better captures the feel of a Stoker vampire.

Yavar

Here's a listing of the Top 20! 

While I have seen only a few of these, I personally agree that Bram Stoker's Dracula from Coppola tops the list! I think it's the best. But yeah, you're right, of course, none of them is what you'd call a faithful adaptation... 

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls000035293/

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Here's a listing of the Top 20! 

While I have seen only a few of these, I personally agree that Bram Stoker's Dracula from Coppola tops the list! I think it's the best. But yeah, you're right, of course, none of them is what you'd call a faithful adaptation... 

Where's the list?