If the "John Williams - The Star Wars Prequels Soundtrack Collection" was released, would you prefer it over the Harry Potter box set?

Josh500

If the "John Williams - The Star Wars Prequels Soundtrack Collection" was released, would you prefer it over the HP boxset?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you treasure more?

• John Williams - The Harry Potter Soundtrack Collection
    • John Williams - The Star Wars prequels Soundtrack Collection

OK, if I had to rank the individual scores... That's a tough one! But I think I got it: 

Phantom Menace > Prisoner of Azkaban > Philosopher's Stone > Attack of the Clones > Chamber of Secrets > Revenge of the Sith 

By the way, wtf happened with the poll? Last time I checked a few hours ago, it was like 13:14! Now it's 14:33? :blink:

I would treasure Harry Potter more because the Star Wars Prequels have not aged well for me. They are the punchline to a very sad joke. The unofficial soundtrack releases that I don't listen to make me uneager to actually buy expanded versions anyways. 

12 minutes ago, Wojism said:

I would treasure Harry Potter more because the Star Wars Prequels have not aged well for me. They are the punchline to a very sad joke. The unofficial soundtrack releases that I don't listen to make me uneager to actually buy expanded versions anyways. 

I haven't watched the movies in a long time, maybe they haven't aged well, not sure, but the scores are a different matter entirely.

The scores represent some of JW's best works in his later career, in all of film music history!

I'll give you that it's some of the best of his later career because the prequel scores are better than anything he wrote for Steven in the same time span, but not of all music history. Not even close. 

2 minutes ago, Wojism said:

I'll give you that it's some of the best of his later career because the prequel scores are better than anything he wrote for Steven in the same time span, but not of all music history. Not even close. 

I said in all of film music history.

Quality-wise, the two series really are on the same level, I'd say. Which isn't surprising since these were written during the same period by one busy composer. 

It's just a matter of personal taste, whether you prefer space music or magical music.... 

I was too old to be interested in the HP books when they were published, I don’t even think I was aware of them until the first movie came out. And even then, when PS became a cinematic behemoth, to me it was ”just a movie.” A good movie, but it’ll never rank in my top 10 (or 20 or even 30, I’d wager).

This is by no means a critique of the music! For example, I consider A Window To The Past to be one of JW’s greatest compositions ever.

So I’m not trying to piss anybody off. I know there are a lot of HP fans out there. Just look at the overwhelming response to the HP box!

But since I grew up with SW, I connect with the franchise - and thus also the music - on another level.

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

I was too old to be interested in the HP books when they were published, I don’t even think I was aware of them until the first movie came out. And even then, when PS became a cinematic behemoth, to me it was ”just a movie.” A good movie, but it’ll never rank in my top 10 (or 20 or even 30, I’d wager).

But since I grew up with SW, I connect with the franchise - and thus also the music - on another level.

I still remember the excitement, the happiness, the immeasurable relief I felt when it became known that John Williams would be scoring the first Harry Potter film! This was only a short time after TPM had come out, so I was still busy with that score and film...

And then "Hedwig's Theme" was actually played on the radio, as a preview. And I remember being so impressed with that theme (on hearing it for the first time!), especially the lightning-fast strings and celeste going up and down and mimicking the flight of the owl, I actually became dizzy... 

In many ways, the Star Wars prequels and the first three Harry Potter movies are inextricably linked together in my mind. I experienced them all together in a fantastic and exciting blur, probably during the most impressionable years of my life!

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Howzabout magical space music, or spacey magical music, or...er...um...er...

You talking about Space Camp? 😂 

If soundtracks, i would advise a catch-up with 2018 in film music, the also-ran's.

Adés: Colette

Hart: The Old Man and the Gun,

Britell: Vice, If Beale Street Could Talk

Gordon: Out of the Shadows

Hurwitz: First Man,

Desplat: The Brothers' Sisters 

Beltrami: The Emperor of Paris

Jusid: Watership Down

Blanchard: Back Kklansman

Yorke: Suspiria

Shaiman: Mary Poppins Returns 

Pemberton: Ocean's 8

Banos: The Girl in the Spider’s Web

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

If soundtracks, i would advise a catch-up with 2018 in film music, the also-ran's.

Adés: Colette

Hart: The Old Man and the Gun,

Britell: Vice, If Beale Street Could Talk

Gordon: Out of the Shadows

Hurwitz: First Man,

Desplat: The Brothers' Sisters 

Beltrami: The Emperor of Paris

Jusid: Watership Down

Blanchard: Back Kklansman

Yorke: Suspiria

Shaiman: Mary Poppins Returns 

Pemberton: Ocean's 8

Banos: The Girl in the Spider’s Web

You actually bought all these? Have you seen the movies too? 

Actually 2018 was a pretty bad year for movies.... 

Is there even one really memorable and well-made movie, one that may be considered a classic in a few years? 

4 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Are you forgetting about Solo? 😂

Oh yeah! 

But while I like the score a lot, not to mention JW's piece, I didn't really like the movie. Arguably the weakest SW film ever, even if it's not part of the main series.

Out of the above list from Publicist, I haven't seen a single movie. These days, I'm not so much into new movies and going to the movies anymore (unless it's a real must-see)!

But I'd like to see First Man! (One reason being that Spielberg was involved.)

I'd say Star Wars. I think HP and SW are both equal music wise

But this site was built upon  discussing the SW prequel music and a lot of us slaved 100's of hours making custom edits with videogame files so I just want to hear those little bits that we are  missing and a prefect presentation of the scores more than HP .I want to delete  the 100's of GB of videogame files on my hard drives, it would feel very liberating .Also the repeated crappy re-issues of the soundtracks over the years and repeated heartbreaks at every SW anniversary have left a lot of us bitter at Sony classical and the studios in general

for HP we had leaked sessions for HPSS and CoS so it wasn't  as bad as having edits you keep wishing were more perfect and missing that half second of music here and there that prevented you from making a seamless edit.

14 minutes ago, Romão said:

How many would cd's would such a box set take? 7 just like Harry Potter?

Probably 7, yeah. 3 for TPM.

But I'd be happy with a 9-disc set too!

I'd much prefer individual double or triple CD releases for each film, packaged in fat jewel cases (like the new Die Hard release).

I'm sick and tired of receiving expensive, lavish boxed sets with dented corners because people don't seem to know how to package these things for shipping. 

So the final tally! SW p. wins 2:1! 

😂

Who would have thought. But if we'd just gotten the SW prequels box set instead of the HP box set, the result would probably have been completely different. You always crave what you don't have or can't get!

• 2 weeks later...

While the Harry Potter expansions are a huge deal and a wonderful release of so plenty of essential material, the Prequel expansions have been a forum wide holy grail for a while now. They win, but I think we'd all be glad to have both in our collection!

20 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

While the Harry Potter expansions are a huge deal and a wonderful release of so plenty of essential material, the Prequel expansions have been a forum wide holy grail for a while now. They win, but I think we'd all be glad to have both in our collection!

They're both huge deals, they're both holy grails, and they're both worth having in our collections, of course!

The question is simply which one is more of all those things? :)

This question has been really bugging me, because all the scores from both franchises have been begging for expansions. Although I'd have chosen Potter because it's been a franchise closer to my heart!

Episode III is one of my favorite scores and I enjoy the others also. Harry Potter 1 was on TV the other night and it reminded me how the Potters are best enjoyed in small doses. It's just too sugary for me.

So, I prefer the prequels.