New Podcast! The Baton: A John Williams Musical Journey

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year to my fellow JWFan members! I am embarking on a new venture that I know will appeal to all of you. I am the host of the podcast “The Baton: A John Williams Musical Journey.” The po

Update: The podcast is available on iTunes and Spotify. It is also on the Podbean app, so there are plenty of places for you to hear the show and subscribe. Next episode online Wednesday!

John Williams was performing with the Houston Symphony in the fall of 1983. I was unable to go to the concert, but I knew one of the trombonists and had a heads up on the rehearsal. I waited outside t

I'd also like to thank @Trumpeteerfor this amazing journey. For me, being in my 20s, it's difficult to really comprehend what a 60+ year musical career really means, and what it means to have composed 100+ film scores. The realisation that you'd have to spend an hour each week for 2 years in order to get an overview of every John Williams film score, really puts things in perspective. I've never fully appreciated John Williams until I started listening to The Baton, and it really helped me grasp the sheer scale and variety of his creative output. Watching all of those films is now on my bucket list!

Thanks @Biodome and @Bayesian for the kind words. They are much appreciated. I am happy that you discovered more music from John Williams and are going to watch some of the films. Many of the scores will be greatly enhanced from matching the music with visuals.

Hey @T.RASK you are the first to say that you are going backwards. That feels like reading a book from the last chapter to the beginning, "Memento"-style. Hope you find it enjoyable. 

I started in the middle and listened to a few episodes (scores I was familiar with).  I have now downloaded all of the episodes.

I highly recommend them.  The approach is amateur in the truest sense of the word: for the love of it.  Very little techie talk (e.g.: chord progressions, use of pedal tones, use of modes) which usually comes from co-hosts.  Heck, I think he misidentified a recorder as a flute, but I don’t expect him to point out the Wagner tubas in Empire.  (Star Wars Oxygen didn’t mention it).

And yet, with all I’ve read/heard about Stars Wars, there was something in his Star Wars episode that was new to me.  That’s something, right?

No, I’m not going to say what it was: you have to listen to it yourself.

18 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

I started in the middle and listened to a few episodes (scores I was familiar with).  I have now downloaded all of the episodes.

I highly recommend them.  The approach is amateur in the truest sense of the word: for the love of it.  Very little techie talk (e.g.: chord progressions, use of pedal tones, use of modes) which usually comes from co-hosts.  Heck, I think he misidentified a recorder as a flute, but I don’t expect him to point out the Wagner tubas in Empire.  (Star Wars Oxygen didn’t mention it).

And yet, with all I’ve read/heard about Stars Wars, there was something in his Star Wars episode that was new to me.  That’s something, right?

No, I’m not going to say what it was: you have to listen to it yourself.

Just as a reminder: I mention in the first episode that I am not a trained musician, so approach this podcast knowing that. Plus, I would personally be bored if every episode was a music theory lecture. My frequent cohosts add that when needed and I am very thankful for that.

@bruckhorn I am curious to know the new piece of information you learned in the Star Wars episode. Send me a private message.

• 3 weeks later...

As we all know, John Williams' 89th birthday is tomorrow (Monday), and I will be posting a special video episode of "The Baton" to celebrate. I will be joined by 12 of my podcast's cohosts as we share how we celebrate the Maestro's birthday, and talk about some of Williams' music we would use to introduce a new fan.

This video will make its debut as a YouTube "live" Premiere at 9 am Eastern on Monday, February 8. Link is below. I invite you to the Premiere to chat with other John Williams fans as the video plays. If you can't make the "live" video, it will be available at the same link as an on-demand video.

Celebrating John Williams' 89th birthday