Martin Grubinger's 'John Williams: The Special Edition' - New arrangements for percussion and orchestra performed by the Berlin Philharmonic

alawill75

They've actually worked together before. Williams called Martin in Vienna and asked him to perform the Catch Me If You Can suite on the last Spielberg/Williams album. That alone speaks volumes. Clearly Williams holds him in very high esteem.

Can anyone translate what Martin says here?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Can anyone translate what Martin says here?

"Of course I immediately said yes, my wife wasn't thrilled because we were in the middle of a holiday, but you don't reject John Williams, and so I flew over there."

Funny though that Williams calls him "Mark Grubringer"...

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Funny though that Williams calls him "Mark Grubringer"...

Actually sounds more like 'Mart' to me, maybe a nickname?

• 2 months later...

This would be amazing. I hope somebody can find it in print someplace. I will like, since it's nearly April, that schedule should already be released. Although maybe it's a bit early...

It would suck if he didn't do anymore films, but keeping going on the concert music still be amazing. He need only write a concerto for English horn and Bass clarinet, and he will have done a serious piece for all major instruments. He never did a guitar concerto, but "Rounds"is good enough. Guitar is a real pain in the ass to right for....

Although, I am curious why he's such a big fan of Grubinger. There are a ton of mallet players out there that can easily do that part. Maybe he was just impressed when he saw him do the Dun concerto? Also, wouldn't it be really neat if he wrote a percussion piece/ concerto for his brother? I've only ever seen him in video's of recording sessions playing the timpani, but still there are plenty of composers who wrote works for timpani.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

This would be amazing. I hope somebody can find it in print someplace. I will like, since it's nearly April, that schedule should already be released. Although maybe it's a bit early...

Most season schedules in Vienna are announced around April I believe. So if this is actually happening, I suppose we might get some news soon.

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He did it in-between the Mutter arrangements.

JW at his late 80s has more energy and disposition to work than me at my mid 20s!

I guess people just had a healthier diet on the 1950s and 1960s than today.

2 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

Where's the one with him and several others strolling through London with their cigars?  Good album cover. 

Yeah, there's that and another one that seems to be from a party. Couldn't find either of them by googling around, but they're out there.