"Celebrating John Williams" concert (Gustavo Dudamel/LA Phil, Disney Concert Hall, January 24-27, 2019) - 2CD set available on March 15

TownerFan

A skipping through was enough for me to not even want to listen to the whole thing, in addition to it being about the 250th album like this.

The LA Phil is an amazing group of musicians and I have no issue with the performances.  Very strange sound choices to my ears.  I dunno if it was mike placement, mixing, mastering, or what.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I found the sound of this release to be very unsatisfying in the low-end, personally.

Compare the trombone sounds between the two

Part of it is I think a stylistic choice of Dudamel to have the trombones not as loud, but yes it’s also mixed weirdly.

11 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Just got the CD, got it on the hifi now. 

Balling my eyes out and I'm only on track 2 - Close Encounters

Stunning. 

Screenshot_2019-04-11_at_16_07_47.png

At least no Digipack this time!

You guys are exaggerating about the sound. It’s fine.

Now let’s hope for a volume two with a more “deep cut” tracklist!

Bring on the new arrangements of HS&TP, Leaving Home, the Oscar arrangement of The Book Thief!

Monsignor! Yes, Giorgio! Botanicus! 

I would love a new recording of “Training With George” from Eiger Sanction.

For those of you who are planning to purchase a physical copy of this album, it's considerably less expensive on Presto Classical and Europadisc than on the Amazons:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8607317--celebrating-john-williams

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/141313/Celebrating_John_Williams.htm

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, King Mark said:

I saw this c.d for 30$ in store...pretty expensive

On 4/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

For those of you who are planning to purchase a physical copy of this album, it's considerably less expensive on Presto Classical and Europadisc than on the Amazons:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8607317--celebrating-john-williams

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/141313/Celebrating_John_Williams.htm

The Sayury’s theme, the Yoda’s theme, this incredibly Throne Room finale, this absolutely moving adagio from TFA, the HP suite.

Is this a perfect album?

:wub:

On 5/9/2019 at 6:45 AM, pete said:

The whole Tokyo concert just popped up courtesy of YouTube's amazing "recommended videos" magic thing...

Fantastic performance! Thank you so much!

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's much more than that, it's the best JW re-recording of the century.

There's not much competition, though, except for The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration part III, which is better recorded.

You even don't know what is a well recorded album, you listen your music on shit music systems and cheap earphones.

It starts to annoys me that habit of everyone to try to show he's a top sound engineer that knows everything about recording music. "This should sounds like this, this should sound like that, this is better than this".

First that's childish, then your expertise is totally unrelevant and unrequited here.

31 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You even don't know what is a well recorded album, you listen your music on shit music systems and cheap earphones.

It starts to annoys me that habit of everyone to try to show he's a top sound engineer that knows everything about recording music. "This should sounds like this, this should sound like that, this is better than this".

First that's childish, then your expertise is totally unrelevant and unrequited here.

To me it seems you're the one who think you know better than everybody else. If you can't hear that the recorded orchestral balance is off in the Duda and Lockhart albums, I suspect you're the one listening on cheap equipment.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:45 AM, pete said:

The whole Tokyo concert just popped up courtesy of YouTube's amazing "recommended videos" magic thing...

Wow! that Imperial March is better than the one on the John Williams Celebration album. 

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To me it seems you're the one who think you know better than everybody else. If you can't hear that the recorded orchestral balance is off in the Duda and Lockhart albums, I suspect you're the one listening on cheap equipment.

Your participation is like poison to this forum.

Marion’s Theme.

I am so happy that this is on here. A lengthy concert arrangement was on my wish list for years. And now we have two good recordings in as many years: on the Spielberg/Williams Collab Part III, and now here. :)

37 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Marion’s Theme.

I am so happy that this is on here. A lengthy concert arrangement was on my wish list for years. And now we have two good recordings in as many years: on the Spielberg/Williams Collab Part III, and now here. :)

Do you prefer one over the other?

It sounds to me as if it’s the same arrangement.

The Williams recording is better, but the subtleties are really subtle, Dudamel brings those details into the light and gives it a bit more color.

The Dudamel performances are the Signature Editions, whereas what Williams recorded often isn't.  I noticed slight orchestration variations in the Flight to Neverland when compared to the "Williams on Williams" album, and looking at the Signature Edition score it matches the Dudamel but not the Williams.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, rough cut said:

Marion’s Theme. [...] on the Spielberg/Williams Collab Part III

That was the only reason to buy that one, right? Scam I skipped;

will extract the audio from this fabulous Tokyo concert recording,

done. ;)

On 5/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, Jay said:

I dunno what Martinland is talking about.

I am sorry if my answer was confusing, I should have explained:

Hopefully the third album is available individually on CD by now; it's not about the performances, it's about content and marketing. Good to know those are splendid performances!

Up until 2015 I have been collecting everything Williams (cassette dubs back in the early 90s, boots, LPs of scores unreleased on CD, concert work recordings, you name it), some of you know that feeling.

Then I had first doubts (e.g. liking original albums more than each and every expansion) and this particular announcement was really hard to say yes to for me (= easy to say no):

Not only would I have had to re-buy two perfectly fine albums I already owned and treasured for decades, but the content of the third I considered "less classic" and did exist individually on the respective score CDs except for that Marion's Theme (which is now available thanks to Tokyo) and Escapades, which we all heard live in Madrid, unforgettable - needless to say I started to say no (it's just me, don't worry) to a lot of albums until the point where, especially after being unable to experience the magic of seeing John Williams conducting (once more), this time with our daughter, in Vienna last year I just stopped collecting.

I have so much to treasure and listen to, lasting me another lifetime. So this is my collector's story coming full circle.

Hopefully this explains my snappy answer above and, again, I am sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

Have a better one,

ML

6 minutes ago, Martinland said:

it's not about the performances, it's about content and marketing.

6 minutes ago, Martinland said:

had to re-buy two perfectly fine albums I already owned and treasured for decades

:up:

16 minutes ago, Martinland said:

I am sorry if my answer was confusing, I should have explained:

Hopefully the third album is available individually on CD by now; it's not about the performances, it's about content and marketing. Good to know those are splendid performances!

Up until 2015 I have been collecting everything Williams (cassette dubs back in the early 90s, boots, LPs of scores unreleased on CD, concert work recordings, you name it), some of you know that feeling.

Then I had first doubts (e.g. liking original albums more than each and every expansion) and this particular announcement was really hard to say yes to for me (= easy to say no):

Not only would I have had to re-buy two perfectly fine albums I already owned and treasured for decades, but the content of the third I considered "less classic" and did exist individually on the respective score CDs except for that Marion's Theme (which is now available thanks to Tokyo) and Escapades, which we all heard live in Madrid, unforgettable - needless to say I started to say no (it's just me, don't worry) to a lot of albums until the point where, especially after being unable to experience the magic of seeing John Williams conducting (once more), this time with our daughter, in Vienna last year I just stopped collecting.

I have so much to treasure and listen to, lasting me another lifetime. So this is my collector's story coming full circle.

Hopefully this explains my snappy answer above and, again, I am sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

Have a better one,

ML

*shrug* I just bought the box that had all 3 volumes on CD, even though I already owned the first two

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hasn't it always been?

No, not individually, which is the entirety of what he's talking about.

It was only released digitally as its own album.  Physically, it's only in the "Ultimate" box set.