In your opinion, is Avatar a GREAT score?

Jurassic Shark

In your opinion, is Avatar a GREAT score?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is Avatar a GREAT score?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/19 at 10:59 PM

It's James Horner on steroids!

I like the score. It's not the most coherent one and lacks Horner's sense of structure (as the piece above demonstrates) but there's a lot of cool stuff in it. I would definitely buy an expanded set of this.

Karol

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's James Horner on steroids!

I like the score. It's not the most coherent one and lacks Horner's sense of structure (as the piece above demonstrates) but there's a lot of cool stuff in it. I would definitely buy an expanded set of this.

Karol

It's not coherent and lacks a sense of structure primarily because that is the film-edited version, or the Cameron hack-job version, of the cue. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYostbQPHqmwKGwjY55tw3ZYWRhtpBjq/view?usp=sharing

image.png

1 minute ago, NL197 said:

It's not coherent and lacks a sense of structure primarily because that is the film-edited version, or the Cameron hack-job version, of the cue. 

The version from the full untouched sessions isn't much better.

Karol

Well, the first half of it is fine but then it turns into a more chaotic and shapeless moment-to-moment scoring. Horner is known for his big cues and setpieces and Avatar, sadly, doesn't really offer many. At least in terms of action cues. It's not his fault really. I still like the score.

Karol

I think Horner betrays his melodic grace here. I'll say this, when the main theme does appear, it is indeed quite lovely - but where the heck is it? Its full version is played only once in the film by the boy soprano. I think this is why it fails to have the emotional impact that the main theme of titanic does in the film.

And sorry the War cue posted above, it sounded a lot like Remote Control and power anthems.  Again no melodic grace.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:03 PM, NL197 said:

So you're one of those who takes a 10 second long motif and writes off a two hour score for it. 

NO. Avatar and Titanic (and Aliens) do not have much in common. One minor motif doesn't prove your stupid argument. 

Look in the mirror when you tell someone to fuck off. 

@NL197

My friend, what have I done to upset you? What could I have typed to get you so angry?

"10 second...motif"? If you read my text, you'll see that I made no reference to any "10 second motif", so...what is the basis for this?

"One minor motif"? Again, provide evidence of my writing this. 

Could it be that you read too much into my post; that you assumed?

@Jay is right: my comment was not aimed at anyone on JWfan, but, instead, at the link.

For the record, I do think that ST:II and ALIENS have a lot in common with AVATAR. The three scores offer prime examples of Horner's style. More than that, however, they all contain the same strands of his musical DNA. Listen to ALIENS, and then to AVATAR, and one will hear that it is, unmistakably, the work of the same person ( @JoeinAR listen to the End Title of ALIEN, then the climactic music for ST:TMP, and tell me they don't have much in common :)).

Every composer; artist; person has traits that last from birth to earth, from womb to tomb. Horner is no different.

As for me not liking AVATAR; who really cares? It's just a parlour-game, isn't it? Mine is one man's opinion, of one score, among a large body of work. It's not going to change the world.

By the way, sometimes, I do like to look in the mirror, when I "fuck off", but that's another story, for another time.

Jurassic  World you are a member of the 15. 

It is seriously sad to see the disrespect given to the late GREAT James Horner

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Jay, listen to the End Title of ALIEN, then the climactic music for ST:TMP, and tell me they don't have much in common

Huh? Why did you direct this at me?  I haven't said one word about any of this

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh? Why did you direct this at me?  I haven't said one word about any of this

I didn't mean you, Jay. Sorry. My bad. I meant Joe. Apologies, etc. I...am a worm :) (licks computer screen).

Ps, you did defend me against what I now believe is NT's mistaken attack. Ta.

It is a quite solid score with some great moments...calling it "great" overall is going a bit overboard IMO. Feel similarly about Horner's other two collaborations with Cameron for that matter...put any of them up against say Legends of the Fall and it's "Game over, man! Game over..." :D

Yavar

53 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

So do I.

Braveheart>Titanic> Avatar

Incorrect order.

Titanic>Avatar>Braveheart>anything by heir Zimmer or giacchino

Lets amp this baby up

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Titanic>Avatar>Braveheart

In a fantasy world where I could (or, for some inexplicable reason, wanted to) truly seperate the quality of a score from the quality of the film, I might agree.

But I don't.

46 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

In a fantasy world where I could (or, for some inexplicable reason, wanted to) truly seperate the quality of a score from the quality of the film, I might agree.

But I don't.

Thats the wonderful thing about disregarding others opinions.

It's hard to find, and it's very "80s", but it has some good character moments, and a standout performance from Louise Fletcher, as well as some nice sideswipes at big business.

My friend's R1 DVD moved from 1.85:1, to 2:65:1, (like the film), so it looked odd. If you can live with that...

The SFX speak for themselves. 

The score is magnificent.

I hope you enjoy it, and as Chris Walken says: "Nobody locks me out!".

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The poll closes on 23:59 CET, which is seven-and-a-half hours from now. Then this decade-old question will be settled once and for all.

This thread has proven the options were far too limiting. I think it's great, nothing here will change that. I guess you needed your opinion validated or something.