Vinyl sound quality

Gollum Cat

Finally got my turntable today - a $65 Victrola turntable from Walmart. Not the best quality ever, but it's all I can afford at the moment until I get a U-Turn table down the road.

I noticed that despite being hard of hearing (can't hear super high frequencies well), and also not noticing anything "open" or "airy" about the audio sound, I seem to hear more instruments/sounds in the music itself that I don't remember, despite having heard the whole thing hundreds of times. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I've only ever listened to the music on mp3 conversion from CD, or YouTube? (Is vinyl lossless?) Would love thoughts on all this.

Haha folks. Serious questions here. I know basically nothing about any of this. I know that vinyl deteriorates over time, so that's not what I meant by "lossless." Maybe the right word is "uncompressed."

I'm just trying to understand why I'm hearing more instruments, and learn a bit in the process. Not trying to be a moron. :)

The "vinyl" sound is the "vinyl" sound... with his qualities and imperfections too. It's not a perfect media, but it offers it's...own charm let's say!

You have to know that, engineers have to properly master a recording to put it on a vinyl.

Because a vinyl can't reproduce all the frequencies. More than that, the inner and outter grooves of a vinyl can't reproduce exactly all the same frequencies.

That's a serious start, no?

I personnaly have a definition to sommarize the sound of a vinyl, and it's very respecfull: it's a jewel of distortions!

But hey, we loved that!

😉

Forget mp3s, first.

We now talk about FLACs and WAVs, which are "lossless" formats, at least, matching a CD quality.

But... then...  listen to music on the medium you prefer!

The vinyl offers it own flavor and that's far from begin bad!

The mastering for vinyl will differ to address the limitations of the format, possibly with differences in compression or accentuation of different frequency bands.  The high-resolution blu-ray (or DVD-audio from the earlier releases) remains the optimal delivery mechanism for this music.  

• 3 weeks later...

Vinyl records differ in sound transmission, but the sound is very good, despite the fact that vinyl is not as popular as before.Personally, I love to devote the day from time to time to reading books to the music of vinyl records.