Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Jay

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, I remember now, the bit where the helicopter gets wedged between rocks on a cliffside or something right?

That whole segment always reminded me of the Uncharted games.

The helicopter sequence was simultaneously awesome (Cruise just flew a helicopter...) and ridiculous - the bit on the cliff.

But yes, M:I's USP for me will always be the practical stunts, and the fact that Cruise does his own stunts.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

That scene could've been much more memorable, tense and exciting had Joe Kraemer scored it.

The first bit where they take off... perhaps, but I like that bit, with Balfe using Schifrin's theme very well - I ripped the entirety of the main chase sequence from the BD's isolated score. The only point during that final sequence where the music descends into crappy mush is the cliff sequence.

1.) Great trailer! Movie looks awesome, though more in vein of Fallout (trying to go all “epic”) than my favourite which is Rogue Nation.

2.) Also, fuck you movie marketers. It’s still 14 months until I can see this?! Ugh!

3.) As much as I think Balfe and the generic trailer music approach is bad for these movies, I *did* quite like this trailer cue. I appreciate they actually got a real orchestra to record it.

The saddest part is that the final score probably won't sound that different from the trailer music: horn farts, Dark Knight action ostinatos, the whole orchestra sounding like synths, etc.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

2.) Also, fuck you movie marketers. It’s still 14 months until I can see this?! Ugh!

It's annoying. But the only reason they released the trailer now is because there were leaks, so Paramount was kinda forced to release it

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It's annoying. But the only reason they released the trailer now is because there were leaks, so Paramount was kinda forced to release it

I heard about this too. Makes sense. I wondered if they were going to attach it to Top Gun 2.

Of course they were

It's funny to think this trailer we are getting in 2022 has footage filmed in 2020 for a movie we will get to see in 2023

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

I appreciate they actually got a real orchestra to record it.

Now if it also was music where the difference between a synth orchestra and a real one would actually make a big difference… But the one positive thing I can say about it is: It's better than the entire Fallout score.

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course they were

It's funny to think this trailer we are getting in 2022 has footage filmed in 2020 for a movie we will get to see in 2023

This Christmas, Columbia Pictures, and Universal Pictures prepare you for... next Christmas :lol:

16 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It was always meant to be attached to Top Gun, but maybe like Avatar not released online until after the opening weekend. That's what the leak pushed maybe....

Subtlety is completely lost on these "modern action movie" scores. How about they quieten down for a bit to, I dunno...make the audience listen closer and get invested? That said, this trailer music is better than anything in the score to Fallout.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jay said:

Last we heard, in 1996, the guy was gonna be sent away to an Alaskan radar station or something. I’d be funny if that’s where we find him 27 years later, lol.

On 24/03/2023 at 3:43 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's not your birthday, is it?

Turned 52 on Saturday. Don't think it appeared on 'Birthdays' bit of the forum title screen, for whatever reason. 

Probably a timezone thing; "today" per that screen could be different than your "today"

37 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Turned 52 on Saturday. Don't think it appeared on 'Birthdays' bit of the forum title screen, for whatever reason. 

Aaw. We missed it.

Please accept this gif of a birthday cake...

seth rogen birthday GIF

...as a token of JWfan's continued appreciation and affection.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Looks like she's getting ready to go fight bulls or something

Or play in a Lonely Hearts Club Band.