James Horner's APOLLO 13 - NEW! Intrada 2CD Edition produced by Mike Matessino

Jay

I have to disagree strongly with Roger saying "Nobody is buying a release for the artwork". If he took just a quick glance at what LaLaLand and Jim Titus have done i.e. for Harry Potter (and of course countless other releases), I'd say good art direction goes hand in hand with a great release and heightens its value.

That being said, the Apollo 13 covers aren't lacking art direction, but basic Photoshop skills.

@Laserschwert Agreed!  See my response below on the FSM board.

Roger, I'm a big fan of what the fine folks at Intrada do for the film score community, but can you honestly say that you would entertain the thought of announcing and selling a soundtrack without showing potential customers what the product would look like? That just doesn't make any sense, and would be detrimental to sales of your product. To say that putting up artwork on the site is a "courtesy" is silly. Maybe the better response / solution is to have a disclaimer, i.e. "*Artwork / graphics may not be representative of the final presentation" or something like that. 

Just my $.02... Keep up the great work!

I've been a space/NASA junkie since I was a kid. I can't believe I haven't seen that reunion photo until now. Thank you.

As to Roger's responses over at FSM, they don't really make any sense and seem to be an overreaction. Having said that, I know a TON of work goes into these projects just based on what little I hear online and perhaps he was just caught at a bad moment after a particularly stressful day or project. 

We're all human and we all have bad days.

At the end of the day, we're getting APOLLO 13 done by Mike Matessino! I was thrilled to learn this was coming at all, but OVERJOYED to hear Mike had done this. I never expected that! Can this man please do EVERY score that I love? 

Well I ordered this along with the long overdue purchase of Star Trek II (not Intrada but sold on their site) and Chinatown.  Can't wait to hear Apollo 13 done by our esteemed Mike Matessino! 

And personally I don't really get riled about the digital album cover very much (and now they sort of fixed it). I am sure the actual CD booklet will be OK (no missing teeth in this one I hope) and the fantastic music is what counts. 

I actually think Matessino's decision to include the short electronically produced cues outside the main programme is a great one for listening experience purposes and his helpful notes also allow us to insert these pieces back into the chronological presentation if we so wish. Best of both worlds and goes with Mike's current philosophy of these score presentations that have in part become more listening experience conscious.

I realised that a version of the Main Title I've had for about 15 years is the Prague re-recording. The string statement at the end is slower and richer than the score version.

The Erich Kunzel version of Re-Entry and Splashdown also works very well as a more concert-like presentation, omitting the more dramatic/tragic-suggestive section.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, NL197 said:

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/apollo-13-expanded-edition-our-exclusive-review/

We also included info about the different releases and how the promo was initially distributed to the public via the DVD. 

The following cues are verbatim on both discs: 

Lunar Dreams
All Systems Go - The Launch
Docking
The Dark Side Of The Moon
Carbon Dioxide
Manual Burn
Four More Amps

Great review and analysis @NL197! :) 

Really looking forward to hearing this new presentation!

My order of Apollo 13 has shipped along with *batteries not included. Should be fun for back to back 2CD sets of pure James Horner bliss!

On 1/15/2019 at 9:45 PM, Faleel J.M. said:

According to Erik Woods the art for Mummy Returns and others also had problems and the online art matched the printed booklets

Also apparently Jaws: The Revenge had major pixellation on one of the printed covers. Intrada also doesn't seem to want to provide decent hi-res online covers.

On 1/19/2019 at 3:37 AM, JTWfan77 said:

Also apparently Jaws: The Revenge had major pixellation on one of the printed covers. Intrada also doesn't seem to want to provide decent hi-res online covers.

Covers are just a courtesy. We don't really pay for them.

7 hours ago, dougie said:

We do, as part of the product. Maybe not for them to be put on their website, but isn't that just part of basic marketing? For someone to suggest that putting the digital cover art on their site represents a cost... I'm just confused about what part of the process incurs that cost.

My copy has arrived in the UK so I should have it within a few days.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:32 AM, ZackR said:

As to Roger's responses over at FSM, they don't really make any sense and seem to be an overreaction. Having said that, I know a TON of work goes into these projects just based on what little I hear online and perhaps he was just caught at a bad moment after a particularly stressful day or project. 

We're all human and we all have bad days.

(Y)

On 1/18/2019 at 1:05 AM, Amer said:

My order of Apollo 13 has shipped along with *batteries not included. Should be fun for back to back 2CD sets of pure James Horner bliss!

That's unfortunate. There's no where in the description noting that batteries weren't included. :(

I'm reserving judgment on the score without electronics presentation on disc 1, but I wouldn't be surprised if disc 2 remains the best presentation this score will ever have. I'm thrilled it was included!

12 hours ago, dougie said:

It's weird that Intrada has this attitude when Varese and LLL seem quite happy and willing to provide (at no charge) high resolution covers to consumers via their websites /social media. I asked Intrada (via the Soundtrack Doctor sub-forum on their site) about providing higher than 600px covers and they seemed rather puzzled at the request.

19 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Is anyone else not really bothered about the 2nd CD? It's nice to have it for posterity I suppose but I'm just going with the film version of the score.

Well it is a bit the same as with The Rocketeer where the second disc houses the original OST presentation (and the last cues of the film version of the score). I usually prefer the film version but every once in a while I choose the more concise listening experience. I expect it is the same with Apollo 13 or I'll probably relegate the alternate material from the OST to my complete score playlist.

Is it safe for me to order directly from Intrada without getting into customs troubles? I just tried ordering this twice from Music Box Records, but they keep declining my Visa card.

EDIT: Never mind, it worked in the end, I went through PayPal.

According to tracking my copy is making its way here from Amsterdam so it should arrive next week at the latest. Can't wait! :) 

My copy arrived at my local delivery office this morning so it will arrive tomorrow at the very latest.

I bundled in The Mummy Returns which took me longer to decide on whether I wanted it.

Like with the LLL package, it seemed to go on a tour of USPS facilities for quite a few days. I wonder though whether this is simply because everyone is watching their tracking like a hawk now, and every additional day seems like an eternity.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:04 PM, Jay said:

People in the FSM thread have posted receiving it and saying the artwork is fine

They just uploaded the wrong version to the website initially

The artwork is fine unless you look at the cover with bright light, although not very good.

BTW, I think it was a good decision to present the orchestral cues first and then the electronic cues. I listened to all the cues chronologically and didn't like it.

The only cue I can make the case for not working as a listening experience is "Marilyn's Nightmare" because it's so disruptive to the flow of the overall listen. 

Beyond that, I like all of the electronic cues, specifically 'Square Peg' and 'Cosmic Connection'. 

3 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Don't tell me how to Photoshop the damn cover, okay? You brought me in here to do a job! You asked me to Photoshop the damn cover and I Photoshopped the cover!! This is not my fault!!!

No one is saying it is. If I'm in the left hand seat and the call comes up, Photoshop the cover. 

I've decided to go with chronological order for my library presentation but created a separate list following Intrada's presentation if I ever fancy listening to it this way.

It's such a gorgeous score. Perhaps not Horner's most sophisticated or complex but, boy, does it have some feels. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I've decided to go with chronological order for my library presentation but created a separate list following Intrada's presentation if I ever fancy listening to it this way.

It's such a gorgeous score. Perhaps not Horner's most sophisticated or complex but, boy, does it have some feels. :)

Karol

I remember how much the music affected me when I first saw the film (we watched it at school). It had such great uplifting feeling to it all, especially the finale.