James Horner's APOLLO 13 - NEW! Intrada 2CD Edition produced by Mike Matessino

Jay

Listening to the album for the second time now. The end credits track is one of my favourite things Horner has ever written. The pop first half is definitely better than any of his terrible songs.

Karol

I wish Intrada hadn't used a delivery that requires a signature. Mine's been holed up at my local sorting office for 2 days because I don't have time to go there in the morning and they close at 2.30pm. (I would suggest it's more logical to open later so people can collect packages on the way back from work, but I equally suspect that it's simply because it's staffed by early birds who don't want to stay late)

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Can't they do anything right?

They mess up more than most seem to notice or care about, but thankfully for the assembly and mastering, this was a Matessino project. Nice essay from John Takis too!

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Amer said:

The sound upgrade on this set is amazing. High marks to Matessino on delivering a superb job on this set. I love it.Its like a whole new experience.

Ditto! 

And I also find that the near-chronological listening experience with the smaller electronic cues placed in the main programme actually works very well and gives some breathing room between the lengthier orchestral pieces. A fantastic release and one that I am bound to listen to as much as The Rocketeer, another top-tier Intrada produced expanded Horner soundtrack.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What about the bad cut and paste job on the cover - is it as visible on the printed booklet?

I couldn't see anything wrong with the actual printed booklet.

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Ditto! 

And I also find that the near-chronological listening experience with the smaller electronic cues placed in the main programme actually works very well and gives some breathing room between the lengthier orchestral pieces.

Those electronics didnt do much for me so I pretty much stuck to the main program. But do you think the promo version on disc 2 is a different mix than the one on disc 1. Because I think Disc 1 sounds better. Haven't really done much of A & B comparason.

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I couldn't see anything wrong with the actual printed booklet.

me neither. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This was the second expanded score I ever purchased and I still love listening to it! Certainly one of the best 90s Horner scores, and the launch cue might be the single most epic piece of music he wrote!

Has there been any discussion about the opening 45 seconds of "Into the L.E.M. (Film Version)" and why that section sounds like there is some strange phasing/microphone overlap going on? I didn't notice it until I listened with headphones and compared it to the regular album version of the same cue.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, Trope said:

Has there been any discussion about the opening 45 seconds of "Into the L.E.M. (Film Version)" and why that section sounds like there is some strange phasing/microphone overlap going on?

I think this is just an old-fashioned case of the orchestra not being together. The remastered soundtrack on disc 2 doesn't have this, so this is a different take. Sounds like the violins and cellos are out of time with each other. It was probably used in the film due to synch issues.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, Trope said:

Has there been any discussion about the opening 45 seconds of "Into the L.E.M. (Film Version)" and why that section sounds like there is some strange phasing/microphone overlap going on? I didn't notice it until I listened with headphones and compared it to the regular album version of the same cue.

the strings (violas only here) are doubled by the trumpet, that gives it a certain snarky/sizzling sound. Maybe that is what you mean or maybe this adds to the effect you described.

22 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

the strings (violas only here) are doubled by the trumpet, that gives it a certain snarky/sizzling sound. Maybe that is what you mean or maybe this adds to the effect you described.

You’re right, it is just the violas doing their best Mahler 10 impression (I don’t hear trumpet at all, maybe when the tuba comes in, but I’ll take your word for it). But they are not playing together, whoever it is. That’s where the phasing is coming from.