Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

19 hours ago, Jay said:

You ain't kidding, Alex!

We've already had a fantastic season of True Detective, and coming this year we have:

-Season 2 of The OA

-The final season of Veep

-The second season of Barry

-The final season of Game of Thrones

-The third season of Search Party

-The second season of Mindhunter

-The final season of Legion

-The final season of Mr. Robot

Not to mention the wildcards - His Dark Materials and Watchmen.

Takes the sting out of Fargo Season 4 and Westworld Season 3 not dropping until 2020...

His Dark Materials, Veep, Barry and Search Party don't ring any bells with me.

Don't care for Legion. Saw the first season of Mr. Robot and my son is a bigger fan of the show than me. He told me S2 is much better though ...

Looking forward to The OA Season 2, Game Of Thrones Final Season, Mindhunter Season 2, Watchmen, Big Little Lies Season 2 (to a somewhat lesser extent), ... And Deadwood The Frigging Movie!

His Dark Materials is a new adaptation of a three-book series, that previously had a film adaptation that covered 3/4s of book 1 called "The Golden Compass".  Hopefully the new adaptation is good, I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

You'd like Mr. Robot season 3 the most out of the three, it's very cinematic

She is great, isn't she?

If you're able to, Steef, check out a couple of older TV shows, that she did: NORTH SQUARE, and IN A LAND OF PLENTY. The first is snappy, sassy, and intelligent; the second is a heartbreaking story of family life.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:07 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

And Peaky Blinders also.  

An extremely popular show in Belgium. It's why people subscribe to Netflix these days. Maybe I should give it another shot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Came home from vacation behind 3 Schitt's Creeks, 2 Brooklyn 99s, 2 Modern Familys, 1 Orville, 1 John Oliver, and the entire 3rd season of Documentary Now!

Last night there was already another John Oliver, and the return of Veep and Barry.  And Arrested Development, The OA and Santa Clarita Diet all came back while we were gone too!

How is anyone supposed to keep up with TV these days?

Neil S Bulk and I had a nice conversation about it last Monday!

I think he said he stopped watching all TV except for that one

Just now, Stefancos said:

I actually gave up on TV. Not watching anything.

We shall wake you up when Disney is ready with their Star Wars TV show. 

I'm very much looking forward to this show Gentleman Jack premiering Monday night.  It's written by Sally Wainwright, one of my favorite TV writers working today (she created Happy Valley, Scott & Bailey, and Last Tango in Halifax).  And it stars Suranne Jones, one of the best tv actresses working today!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow - I literally have never heard of any of those people or shows before!

They're all British so unless you make a point of following British tv, like I do, you wouldn't have.

However, Happy Valley is her best show and Netflix imported it to America as an Original.  I highly recommend that show.

On 2/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, Jay said:

You ain't kidding, Alex!

We've already had a fantastic season of True Detective, and coming this year we have:

-Season 2 of The OA

-The final season of Veep

-The second season of Barry

-The final season of Game of Thrones

-The third season of Search Party

-The second season of Mindhunter

-The final season of Legion

-The final season of Mr. Robot

Not to mention the wildcards - His Dark Materials and Watchmen.

Takes the sting out of Fargo Season 4 and Westworld Season 3 not dropping until 2020...

Virtually nothing there of interest. 

• 2 weeks later...

We watched the first 2 seasons.  It's extremely bleak and depressing, which I'm getting sick of watching lately, and also they tried to do some world-building in season 2 and kinda failed; They just aren't good enough writers to come with a plausible explanation for everything happening in this world.  When things were more vague in season 1 it held together better.

Also the show is way too cyclical.  Just about every episode is: Things are bad -> Things get worse -> Something good is happening!  It's a ray of hope! -> Nope, things are now even worse than before.  Repeat next week.  

It's depressing.

Indeed. Season 2 essentially felt like a massive exploitation of contemporary social and political cynicism. I pulled through to the season's end, but felt sick about the whole thing. It all reeked of misconstrued intentions.

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The book is a classic though!

Of course! They should have left it as a one-off thing with the first season.

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I like the photography.

So do I. Though it is sometimes a little too Instagram-filter-ey for my tastes.

It's well acted, well shot, and generally well directed.  The writing is just going nowhere at all

I thought it was going somewhere when she was in that huge warehouse but then they caught here and we were back to square one.