Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

4 hours ago, KK said:

Of course! They should have left it as a one-off thing with the first season.

Well, the book has a very fitting open end, but Atwood herself is writing a sequel to be released later this year. Based on what I've read by her so far (Handmaid's Tale, Alias Grace and the ingenious Madd Addam trilogy), I expect she knows what she's doing.

I haven't seen the series yet though. How involved was Atwood with that, and especially with the second season?

I doubt she's involved too much; They basically took her book as a starting point to tell their own story now

Did you watch the Alias Grace netflix adaptation?  I was curious about it but we haven't checked it out yet

On 5/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, Jay said:

Did you watch the Alias Grace netflix adaptation?  I was curious about it but we haven't checked it out yet

I did, actually. It's certainly well made, and well acted, and as far as I remember really faithful to the book. I guess both would have been more exciting to me if I'd known anything about the source material in advance. I didn't know anything about Grace Marks before I read the book, and I actually was more intrigued by the whole thing when I read up on the context after finishing the book. Certainly not bad at all, just probably my least favourite of the Atwoods I've read so far.

Been meaning to check out Rick and Morty for years, haven't found time to yet, but hopefully I can catch up before November!

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I think I'm the only one here who watches this, but yay anyway:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/rick-and-morty-season-4-premiere-date-1203215745/

My Orville companion piece, probably my two favourite current shows on the box!

Hallelujah! Missing some proper Rick and Morty brilliance.

I like Rick and Morty but sometimes it feels like it hits a little *too* close to home, I feel like a type when I watch it haha.

Like the (hilarious) bit where Rick wants to do a selling scheme with limited edition Zelda 3DS systems.

Dan Harmon's talents will be wasted on Star Trek IMO. That sort of barking mad creative genius is surely better suited to something like Doctor Who.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Dan Harmon's talents will be wasted on Star Trek IMO. That sort of barking mad creative genius is surely better suited to something like Doctor Who.

Dan Harmon is not working on Star Trek The Lower Decks.  It's one of the other producers of Rick & Morty.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dan Harmon is not working on Star Trek The Lower Decks.  It's one of the other producers of Rick & Morty.

Ah right I see. Good. Harman needs to stay focused on R&M, especially after that big order of episodes he's received.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Two shows of which you know very little, lol!

Sorry were you replying to me or to Stu?

Amazon Prime Has Canceled The Tick After 2 Seasons

I honestly have never talked to anyone who watched it.

I've never even seen the original cartoon or the original live action one with Warburton either, but I know both had fans

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never even seen the original cartoon or the original live action one with Warburton either, but I know both had fans

I'm a loyal listener (and Patreon supporter!) of Blank Check, the movie podcast co-hosted by the actor who plays Arthur (The Tick's sidekick).  And I never even watched the show.  I just have no interest, but I remember liking the cartoon in the 90s.

It's a great, great podcast though.  The concept is that they tackle the filmographies of directors that at some point in their career became so successful, or have a single breakout hit, that they were given "blank checks" to make whatever passion project they want.

They just finished Tim Burton and are about to start Michael Mann.  Two years ago they did DreamWorks era Spielberg, because a director creating his own studio is the ultimate blank check!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/blank-check-with-griffin-david/id981330533

Once you get used to their personalities and dynamic it's great.  Kind of an odd couple dynamic where Griffin has overexcited kid energy and David has grumpy old man energy.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Bummer. I really enjoyed the first season and binged it in a weekend. We have watched about half of the second season, but we were pacing ourselves.

Amazon made it and then sent it out to die. Zero promo will do that to a show. I heard it gets really good too by its second season, not that I'd ever watch it. But I'm sure it had its loyal fans for good reason.

Saw that last night after GOT.  I'm excited to check it out!  I liked the Golden Compass movie

Its about a dance troupe on the verge of international success when disaster strikes. 

There is a sequel being planned. The dancer's children fom their own team years later and just as their big break happens in Japan disaster strikes yet again. They will call it Fukushima.

• 2 weeks later...

Their original stuff tends to be more interesting than Netflix lately though.

Absolutely the right call, and genuinely refreshing to see. This is no sitcom, and I can easily see how they could exhaust the central gimmick (being in purgatory) to the point of tedium. Even season 3 had mundane episodes, lacking the outlandish imagination seen in the first two years. We don't need to see them running around in the office spaces and engine rooms of limbo world forever, the comical final redemption has to come sooner rather than later for those characters. They'll probably restore their dignity in heaven and the writing team will hold onto their own dignity in the process, which is how it should be for all great TV when it finally wraps.

Why end with season four? 

After season one ended and aired and it seemed like the show was going to survive the gauntlet of being a TV show in the modern era, I was like, "Well, this show isn't a typical show where the goal is to do it as long as we can and as many episodes as we can." It was never designed that way — we do 13 episodes per year from the beginning. I knew I needed to map this out in the same way that I mapped out the first season, I needed to map out the whole show. I didn't feel like it needed to be definitive but I needed to have a sense of how long I thought the idea could sustain itself. I came to the conclusion pretty quickly that it was four seasons. There were times early on where I felt like maybe five and maybe it's three. (Laughs.) Once I settled on four seasons, I didn't tell anyone — except the writers. I didn't tell the studio or network because I wanted to make sure that I was right and I wanted to leave open the possibility that as we as a team developed the show, I wanted to allow the possibility that something could change and there was more I wanted to do. But it was pretty much always four from early on as a general map. We spent all of season three checking in and making sure that we were pacing things correctly and there was going to be enough time to do what we wanted but not too much time so that we were running in place. Toward the end of us shooting season three, I told the studio and then we told the network soon after that. It was completely dictated by the idea and how much juice I thought the idea contained and the pace at which we were letting story unfold and stuff like that. The nice thing about TV shows nowadays is it's not a forced marathon. You can let the idea dictate the number of episodes that you actually do, which is great for creativity.

Sounds like it’ll remain consistently high quality. Still waiting for Season 3 to hit Netflix. 

If you subscribe to Hulu, which is worthwhile imo, you can watch each episode the day after they first air on that.