Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

Tonight is the live All in the Family - Good Times special.  Last years was excellent. I hope tonights is too.

According to this report, a script for the pilot of a Willow series for Disney+ has been written by the Solo co-writer Jonathan Kasdan:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-12-15/kathleen-kennedy-lucasfilm-the-last-jedi-the-mandalorian

Most anticipated new shows of 2020 according to IndieWire:

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/most-anticipated-tv-shows/

All look very boring, with the possible exceptions of the Pacino Nazi-hunting series and Impeachment: American Crime Story. I really like the OJ season of ACS, but haven't watched the second one.

Beanie Feldstein was so good in What We Do In The Shadows and Booksmart, and The People vs OJ Simpson was so good, we'll check out Impeachment for sure, despite The Assassination of Gianni Versace sucking as much as it did

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, Edmilson said:

Most anticipated new shows of 2020 according to IndieWire:

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/most-anticipated-tv-shows/

All look very boring, with the possible exceptions of the Pacino Nazi-hunting series and Impeachment: American Crime Story. I really like the OJ season of ACS, but haven't watched the second one.

They forgot about Dune: The Sisterhood.

Hulu makes The Handmaid's Tale, which won like, all the Emmys for season 1 - Best Drama, Best Actess, Best Supporting Actress, Best Writing, Best Directing, etc - and continued to get nominations for seasons 2 and 3 as well

I thought season 2 was already enough of a dip that I didn't even bother with season 3

Too many depressing TV shows these days, and when a show is both depressing AND poorly written and cyclical (every episode ending up following the same pattern after a while), I'm out

I'd personally say only season 1 was good.  It's also the only season that followed the original book, they are just making up the story from scratch as they go now

On 12/3/2019 at 6:07 PM, Jay said:

Season 10 is coming next month!!

On 12/9/2019 at 12:06 PM, Jay said:

Another new Curb preview!

On 12/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, Jay said:

Full trailer for Curb 10!

Yup good stuff.  Then just got progressively worse and worse after that.  Like Dexter after season 4

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What happened - did they change writers or something?

Same thing that happened to 24 after a season or two I suppose. They dragged out a concept that made sense for a one-season story to multiple seasons, inevitably getting more unbelievable with each new twist needed to justify more episode. Plus the constant need to top everything that came before by making the next threat bigger and badder, resulting in even less believability. And over the course of it all putting its characters in so many shady situations that at some point it really becomes hard to morally justify any attachment to them as a viewer. At least that was my impression with both series until I gave up on them, probably also around S4 or S5 with Homeland.

I like the first three seasons of Homeland, a.k.a. the Brody saga. The first two seasons are great (love that episode on S2 that is just Carrie interrogating him), and while 3 starts out pretty dull, it has a great and very touching ending. S4 was decent for the most part, better than what I was expecting, but the final episode was extremely boring. I started S5, but stopped in episode 3, I think.

If you want a brilliant, but short, minisseries that is a thriller about Middle East and terrorism, please watch The Honorable Woman, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal. It's excellent show, with great performances, great script, that tackles a controversial subject (the Israel/Palestine conflict) with nuance, and the best part: it's only 8 episodes. You can watch it in a weekend.

'The Witcher' Breaks Netflix Series Viewership Records — With One Big Catch

The streamer, in announcing its fourth-quarter earnings results, also reveals it has changed how it measures a view to as little as two minutes.
The Witcher, despite its divisive reviews, is a hit for Netflix — but its numbers can't really be compared to past releases of data from the company thanks to a change in the way the streamer measures viewership. 

Netflix, in announcing its fourth-quarter earnings, revealed viewership for recent TV launches The Witcher as well as new seasons of hits The Crown and Lifetime rescue You. But it was Henry Cavill-led The Witcher that broke TV viewership records. Netflix on Tuesday said The Witcher is tracking to be its biggest season one TV series launch ever. Through four weeks of release, 76 million member households watched the fantasy drama. (The series was renewed for a second season ahead of its debut.)

Netflix, however, has changed the way it reports a "view." Previously, the company counted a view as a member account watching at least 70 percent of one episode of a series or 70 percent of a feature film. Now, it's touting that viewers "chose to watch" a given title, meaning that member watched for as little as two minutes — "long enough to indicate the choice was intentional," per a footnote in the earnings report. Under that measurement, Netflix says The Witcher is on track to  have the biggest first season ever for a Netflix original. 

The new metric is now more akin to views on a YouTube video, which indicate in most cases only a small portion of a given piece of content's running time, and are even farther away from the average audience measure for traditional TV. 

"Our new methodology is similar to the BBC iPlayer in their rankings based on 'requests' for the title, 'most popular' articles on The New York Times, which include those who opened the articles, and YouTube view counts," the company notes in its earnings report. "This way, short and long titles are treated equally, leveling the playing field for all types of our content including interactive content, which has no fixed length."

Netflix also says the new metric results in viewer counts about 35 percent higher than the old one. 

Meanwhile, the second season of Greg Berlanti-produced stalker drama You, has been seen by 54 million member households during its first four weeks of release, under the new metric. The third season of royal drama The Crown — its first with its new cast — was seen by more than 21 million households (up 40 percent from season two). Over the three-year life of the series to date, the company says more than 73 million accounts worldwide have tuned in.

On the feature side, Michael Bay feature 6 Underground and starring Ryan Reynolds, has been seen by 83 million member households during its first four weeks of release.

In the third quarter of 2019, Stranger Things set a viewing record for a Netflix series with 64 million member accounts — 40 percent of the streamer's worldwide total of 158 million at that time — watched at least a portion of the show's third season under the old rubric.

Among Netflix's high-profile releases in the final months of 2019 were Ryan Murphy's The Politician — his first series for the streamer, albeit one produced at 20th Century Fox TV before he signed a nine-figure deal with Netflix — season three of The Crown, The Witcher, Living With Yourself, part one of the final season of BoJack Horseman and season two of You, along with best picture Oscar nominees The Irishman and Marriage Story. None of those had viewership figures mentioned in the earnings report.

Nielsen said Martin Scorsese's The Irishman drew 13.16 million U.S. viewers over its first five days of release, with 17.1 million watching at least part of the 3 1/2-hour film. Netflix contends Nielsen figures are incomplete as they don't measure viewing on other devices or in other countries.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-4th-quarter-2019-viewing-data-1271741

Either way, it could comfortably be called a smash. Every fucker and his dog that I know was talking about it a couple of weeks back.

Which is Netflix's one mistake actually: they should not have dumped the entire series all at once on people and instead released it week by week, one epi at a time. End of the day, the old fashioned none bingy model does wonders for building hype and driving engagement.

Larry David “At His All-Time Best” In Season 10 Premiere Of ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’

I'll be the judge of that. Tonight!

Nic Pizzolatto, Matthew McConaughey Move to FX for New Drama, ‘True Detective’ Stays at HBO

Nic Pizzolatto and Matthew McConaughey last collaborated on the acclaimed first season of HBO's "True Detective."

Two members of the original “True Detective” team are reuniting at a new home, but they’re leaving the franchise behind. Series creator and showrunner Nic Pizzolatto has signed a new overall deal with Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions, while his fellow “True Detective” collaborator Matthew McConaughey also signed a first-look deal with FX Productions. Together, they’ll make “Redeemer,” an hourlong drama series starring McConaughey and written by Pizzolatto, which has landed a script-to-series deal at FX.

Pizzolatto was previously under an overall deal at HBO, but his move away from the network doesn’t signal the end of “True Detective.” Though HBO has not provided comment on how the creator’s departure would impact the franchise, Deadline reported that HBO executives may be open to bringing on a new creative team if the network decides to proceed with Season 4.

“We are thrilled to begin our creative partnership with Nic Pizzolatto and Matthew McConaughey on ‘Redeemer,’ who are back together for the first time since the first season of HBO’s True Detective,” FX Entertainment president Eric Schrier said in a statement. “We’re also incredibly excited about our overall deal with Nic and look forward to developing new projects with him and our partners Fox 21 Television Studios, and we’re equally excited to be developing projects with Matthew through his first look deal with FXP.”

Terms of the duo’s deals were not disclosed. Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions are owned by Disney.

“Redeemer” will center on a former minister-turned-dissolute security guard (McConaughey) who must confront his past while searching for a missing woman in Texas that leads him to a dangerous criminal conspiracy. “Redeemer” is based on Patrick Coleman’s debut novel “The Churchgoer,” which was published in 2019.

McConaughey starring as a troubled individual who squares off against violent criminals is reminiscent of his work on “True Detective,” which was his last collaboration with Pizzolatto. McConaughey starred in the HBO crime anthology series’ first season and and executive produced the following two. The franchise has received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.

“We’re very proud of the work Nic did for HBO, and we wish him the best in his new endeavor,” an HBO spokesperson said in a statement.

Pizzolatto and HBO’s split is said to be amicable. The writer ventured into the director’s chair for the first time during Season 3, and he’s said since that he’s been looking to explore more producing opportunities as well as additional series ideas. HBO, meanwhile, is under pressure from new parent company WarnerMedia to release more programming overall, especially from its more lucrative intellectual property. “True Detective” has been a ratings dynamo, but three seasons in six years is not an optimal output for an anthology drama. Pizzolatto making new shows for FX might allow HBO to produce new seasons of “True Detective” on a more regular basis.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/nic-pizzolatto-fx-deal-hbo-true-detective-season-4-1202206758/

Pizzolatto's new show seems like True Detective Season 1 - Part 2, which is fine by me, the first season of that series is one of my all time favorites on TV.

HBO will surely continue the show without him, which can bring new seasons a little faster.

This is for fans of The Good Place, Parks and Rec and The Office:

‘The Good Place,’ ‘Broad City’ Creators Developing New Comedy for HBO Max

If you’ve enjoyed any television comedy from the past ten-ish years, chances are it had something to do with the power quartet of Mike Schur, Paul W. Downs, Lucia Aniello, and/or Jen Statsky. Schur has been behind such gems as The Good Place, Parks and Recreation, and The Office; and the Downs/Aniello/Statsky trio gave us Broad City. Now, all these talents are combining, as Deadline reports the four are developing an as-of-yet untitled comedy pilot for HBO Max.

The project will be written by Downs, Aniello, and Statsky. Aniello will direct the pilot, and Schur will executive produce through his Fremulon production company. It’s a dark comedy about two women who form a dysfunctional friendship/mentorship: A spoiled 25-year-old outcast, and an older Las Vegas diva. Downs and Aniello are also executive producing through their Paulilu production banner. Other producers include Statsky, David Miner (3 Arts Entertainment), and Good Place producer Morgan Sackett.

Beyond his aforementioned shows, Schur is also currently an executive producer on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Downs and Aniello co-wrote and produced the Scarlett Johansson-starring film Rough Night, with Downs also performing and Aniello also directing. Downs also works as a consulting producer on Comedy Central’s The Other Two, and Aniello recently directed the pilot to that same network’s Awkwafina is Nora From Queens. Statsky wrote for Schur’s Parks and Rec and currently serves as an executive producer on The Good Place as well. She’s also written for acclaimed comedies like Forever and Lady Dynamite. So: While we may not know much about this upcoming HBO Max comedy, the creators’ past accomplishments provoke nothing but optimism — even as the project seems to be trafficking in the darker side of laughter.

https://collider.com/the-good-place-broad-city-hbo-max-new-comedy/

• 1 month later...

Save for its ending, I was not a fan of Annihilation at all. Hopefully this will fare better.

Just now, KK said:

Save for its ending, I was not a fan of Annihilation at all. 

I agree. Everything before the ending was familiar territory masqueraded with strange colours. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I agree. Everything before the ending was familiar territory masqueraded with strange colours. 

Not only that. It's familiar territory not done well. There's something very "B-movie posing as high art" about all of it, until it gets to the ending.

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Ozark.  Pulpy fun.  New season looks like they are kicking things up a notch.  I will miss they many great characters from s1-s2 they killed off though