Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Woke? It’s about ghosts...

No.

It was about the producers showing how woke they are.

Not one but TWO interracial couples: black man, white woman; White man, black woman.

Two lipstick lesbians : notice how you never see plain or butches?

On and on and on.

The plot was an after thought. Not much thought went into it.

Oh , there's an Asian lawyer! Give them an Emmy!

😅

There are shows that artfully and smoothly feature a diverse cast. GOT...PERRY MASON...BREAKING BAD.  They don't pat themselves on the back every scene

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I bailed on HILL HOUSE after a couple of eps.

A show so ' woke' I couldn't stay awake..

Just awful. ( Thor loved it)

What a superficial complaint. The story manages to supersede anything 'woke' that I never once thought about it. The thing is it's not woke anymore if it reflects the social mores of the time we're living in.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

What a superficial complaint. The story manages to supersede anything 'woke' that I never once thought about it. The thing is it's not woke anymore if it reflects the social mores of the time we're living in.

Superficial?

Bad writing and bad casting is pretty important to a successful show. 

Forgot the perceived political commentary bollocks, Hill House was just boring. The first episode was really good, which made it all the more annoying, because it made me carry on watching for another three or four, which was a waste of time. 

I liked Hill House a lot, I thought it was really good.

But I agree with @bruce marshall that this is the agenda of the media today; to be inclusive and women-empowering, but often it is becomes completely unproportional to how society really looks. It can become annoying once you’re tuned into it.

I don’t think it’s a superficial complaint at all, I think these decisions can hurt a movie and become distracting.

For example, the show Chernobyl got complaints that there weren’t any colored people in it. There probably weren’t many people of color Ukraine in ‘86 so a decision like that would’ve - maybe not hurt the show - but it wouldn’t have made it better either. It would just be pointless virtue signaling.

But at least in Hill House the ‘wokeness’ wasn’t obnoxious or anything, they just ‘snuck’ it in the way most shows do nowadays (which can be tiring enough).

I find it much more annoying when Avengers has an all-female “aren’t we fierce” slow-mo scene, or that Chewie is a vegan, but I guess it’s all just different levels in hell.

I'm a liberal, a civil rights purist. I believe in multi-culturalism.

In tv world , black and white people live in a mythical intergrated country of racial harmony and brotherhood.

The reality is we are still a very segregated society.

I prefer tv producers depict reality and not some Utopia that doesn't exist.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

For example, the show Chernobyl got complaints that there weren’t any colored people in it.

Those people must have been joking or they are very ignorant.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

No.

It was about the producers showing how woke they are.

Not one but TWO interracial couples: black man, white woman; White man, black woman.

Two lipstick lesbians : notice how you never see plain or butches?

On and on and on.

The plot was an after thought. Not much thought went into it.

Oh , there's an Asian lawyer! Give them an Emmy!

😅

There are shows that artfully and smoothly feature a diverse cast. GOT...PERRY MASON...BREAKING BAD.  They don't pat themselves on the back every scene

Christian Bale GIF

GoT is many things.... Diverse is not really one of them.*

Breaking Bad? Sure sure, most of the latinos are drug dealers and, adding insult to the injury, you got a North American actor playing a Chilean drug overlord... I can live with this, but what really bothers me -as an Argentinian- is that Giancarlo can't even speak a line in decent Spanish. Every time he talked in Spanish it completely took me out of the show. Why even bother making the character Chilean at all?

*The Witcher, for that matter, made the diverse angle an integral part of the show and at least for me, feels perfectly organic.

I never once noticed the “diversity” of Hill House until it was mentioned here. I don’t know what type of mindset you need to have in order to see an Asian character or an interracial couple and immediately think “forced diversity!” 

While I didn’t particularly like how Hill House concluded, I enjoyed the narrative along the way. The production design and camerawork is top notch. And considering how many faces and figures are peppered throughout the background of scenes throughout, I’m certain the producers weren’t thinking about being “woke.” Get your head out of the 60s!

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I never once noticed the “diversity” of Hill House until it was mentioned here. I don’t know what type of mindset you need to have in order to see an Asian character or an interracial couple and immediately think “forced diversity!” 

I agree with Koray.  I mean, I've never seen this show, but agree about the mindset.  Bruce's post comes off as racist and misogynistic and only says things about himself and how he views the world, and not the show itself, IMO

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I agree with Koray.  I mean, I've never seen this show, but agree about the mindset.  Bruce's post comes off as racist and misogynistic and only says things about himself and how he views the world, and not the show itself, IMO

Boy Jay, you totally missed my point or maybe I expressed myself badly.

I care about the REAL WORLD oppression of black folks and gay people.

They are my FRIENDS. I have lived the life, I don't pretend.

Diversity for diversity sake in fiction, doesn't do a damn thing to help people who are oppressed. That's why it's called " virtue signalling". It's meaningless and ignores reality

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I don't believe you.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

So all media should just star white folks, because if you dare cast people of color it’s “virtue signaling?”

Yeah.

That's exacrly what I said.

You should be in politics with your gift for demagoguery

Btw GOT also featured gay , lesbian and bisexual characters .

They did so in a way that was natural and true..

If folks here want to libel me as bigoted, go right ahead.

I've actually lived a life of diversity .

I don't have to show the world how " enlightened" I am.

The folks who really care about changing society are out IN THE STREETS - not at their computers, typing drivel

I've never seen the show, but I doubt I would sit up and think they were trying too hard to be diverse either.  The world is diverse.  Whether they proactively tried to have a diverse cast, or coincidentally did by hiring the right actors for the job is irrelevant to me.

It would never occur to me to think about these things like you do.  The world and the entertainment industry is full of problems but the makers of this show don't seem to be a part of the problem based on what I can see, again, never having seen the show myself

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen the show, but I doubt I would sit up and think they were trying too hard to be diverse either.  The world is diverse.  Whether they proactively tried to have a diverse cast, or coincidentally did by hiring the right actors for the job is irrelevant to me.

It would never occur to me to think about these things like you do.  The world and the entertainment industry is full of problems but the makers of this show don't seem to be a part of the problem based on what I can see, again, never having seen the show myself

No offense Jay, but never having seen it, you're really not in a position to comment.

The show sucks. In every way.

I'll repeat what I said above:

Yes, the world is DIVERSE.  But, it's not integrated.

This is a fact that is IGNORED by these shows.

This might be a generational thing.

I grew up in a much different world than all you youngsters😉

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

It’s a perfectly serviceable ghost story, if you’re interested, Jay. The show has nothing to do with racial or identity politics. 

Been meaning to check it out for a while.  I've had a crush on Carla Gugino since Son In Law

I really liked Haunting of the Hill House, I thought it was an okay horror story, but an even better drama. And I can't remember any racial politics or something like that, it's not the point of the show.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Some people see what they want to see whether it was intended or not

Like I said, the show sucked as a ghost story.

The casting and the characters was just a part of the problem.

Check it out , you may think it's great ( like Thor😉)

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Those people must have been joking or they are very ignorant.

I'm old enough to remember folks complaining about lack of black actors in STAR WARS 1977.

My friends would answer that charge by saying " how do you know the Storm Troopers werent played by actors of color?"

😜

Times have changed , the controversies continue#

1 hour ago, Jay said:

But sometimes it's too apparent. I mean, now that China is an important market, Hollywood throws in a Chinese actor as well. That way China has someone to root for too. 

Z

On 8/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, AC1 said:

Many fine actors from India also had prominent roles in GOT.

Btw Jordan Peele did a hilarious take down of virtues signalling in GET OUT ( the girlfriend character).

His TZ reboot is also very good

And some close their eyes to what is happening in front of them

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It would never occur to me to think about these things like you do. 

Maybe , you should😞.

I'm sure the police officer who shot a man in the back seven times will insist  , "I  didn't see race".

Screenshot_2020-08-26-14-05-37~2.png

MV5BZWM2NmIwZjQtZTEwYS00MmVhLTgzODItMGU3

"Replicants, Synthetics & Androids – oh my! After Blade Runner & Alien, Ridley Scott again visits the world of artificial life, with equally fascinating and thrilling results."

"Raised by Wolves is sci-fi television of a rare breed. While premium cable and streaming services have been raising the bar in the genre for years, Raised by Wolves leaps ahead in craft, scale, and vision. Its novelistic storytelling and slow-burn pacing ask much of its audience, but it offers rewards in kind. For those willing to engage, Raised by Wolves is a stunning work of operatic science fiction that will linger in your mind well after the credits of each episode roll."

"Hands down the most thrilling original sci-fi show in more than a decade."