Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

The next show from the Game of Thrones producers will be a sci-fi about aliens:

The Three-Body Problem: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Adapting Sci-Fi Trilogy

A year after entering their overall deal with Netflix, Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have set their next TV project with the adaptation of The Three-Body Problem, the Chinese sci-fi book trilogy written by Liu Cixin, according to Deadline.

The trilogy, consisting of three books titled Remembrance of Earth’s Past, The Dark Forest, and Death’s End, tells the story of humanity’s first contact with an alien civilization and is set against a sprawling backdrop. The first book tells the story of Ye Wenjie, who following her father’s death at the hands of the Red Guards during the Cultural Revolution attempts to help aliens invade Earth, while different factions on Earth plan different ways of welcoming the extra-terrestrials.

“Liu Cixin’s trilogy is the most ambitious science-fiction series we’ve read, taking readers on a journey from the 1960s until the end of time, from life on our pale blue dot to the distant fringes of the universe. We look forward to spending the next years of our lives bringing this to life for audiences around the world,” said Benioff and Weiss.

Cixin joined the project as a consulting producer alongside Ken Liu, who penned the English translation for The Three-Body Problem and Death’s End. Alexander Woo (The Terror: Infamy) will write and executive produce alongside Benioff and Weiss. Rian Johnson (The Last Jedi, Knives Out) will also executive produce along with his producing partner Ram Bergman.

“I have the greatest respect for and faith in the creative team adapting The Three-Body Problem for television audiences. I set out to tell a story that transcends time and the confines of nations, cultures, and races; one that compels us to consider the fate of humankind as a whole. It is a great honor as an author to see this unique sci-fi concept travel and gain fandom across the globe and I am excited for new and existing fans all over the world to discover the story on Netflix,” said Cixin.

Plan B will executive produce along with Rosamund Pike and Robie Uniacke through their Primitive Streak banner. Lin Qi, chairman of the rights-holders, Yoozoo Group, and The Three-Body Universe, and Zhao Jilong, vice president of The Three-Body Universe, will also executive produce alongside Bernadette Caulfield, the Game of Thrones EP who was recently hired as President of Benioff & Weiss’ production company, and Nena Rodrigue, President of Television for Johnson and Bergman’s production company, T-Street. Peter Friedlander, Vice President of Original Series Drama at Netflix will oversee the project for the streamer.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1147270-the-three-body-problem-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-adapting-sci-fi-trilogy

I'm very intrigued by this. The books explore some fascinating ideas, sometimes poetically, and have their share of spectacular action. But there is also a lot of weird stuff, which I can't imagine translated to the screen. 

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

They are making this sci-fi show one for Netflix. Their HBO deal has ended.

I thought The press release. said " after ENDING " their deal with NETFLIX"

I told Byron I had bad eyesight. 😆

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Hopefully they won't come up with their own 'dialog'.

Don't YOU start!😠

Ridley produced and directed two episodes. His son, Luke Scott, also directed a few eppies, so it stays more or less in the family.

According to a youtube critic, it could be the new Game Of Thrones;)

20 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

As a director, his star has fallen.

Oh yes, nobody cares anymore, except Thor.

17 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Ridley produced and directed two episodes. His son, Luke Scott, also directed a few eppies, so it stays more or less in the family.

According to a youtube critic, it could be the new Game Of Thrones;)

Oh yes, nobody cares anymore, except Thor.

Yeah.

He still maintains PROMETHEUS is a " masterpiece" ( and the even worse sequel!)

What a character!😊

22 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Yeah.

He still maintains PROMETHEUS is a " masterpiece" ( and the even worse sequel!)

What a character!😊

Still, I prefer the sequel because it has more 'David' and less running away from rolling spaceships. 

CKXpIYKWoAAjPxZ.png

30 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Still, I prefer the sequel because it has more 'David' and less running away from rolling spaceships. 

CKXpIYKWoAAjPxZ.png

But the crew....the same stupid crew!

Landing on a strange planet, again, with no precautions.

Worst of all: going on the hunt for. a deadly alien by SPLITTING.UP!?

So, the monster can conveniently pick them off; one by one.

Haven't they heard the phrase " safety in numbers"? Even dumb pigeons know to stay in the flock when a hawk is nearby

Other than those ' minor' flaws, it's a classic. 😎

Yes, all very bad, but I like David. It's the only positive element I see in this series. Scott's sci-fi flicks have always brought forward interesting 'androids'. The TV series is about androids so at least it will have that going for it.

Raised By Wolves looks like everything I hated about Ridley Scott's Prometheus and Alien Covenant. Just so dark and depressing that it makes me want to take a shower every time I think about those films.

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I did not even mention the idiot  who practically sticks his head in the face hugger egg!😅

Curiosity killed the cat, just ask Kane.

c606f23175169bc3377a7cbb84d22edb.jpg

The raging hate boner for Ridley Scott and the Alien prequels is just silly. They aren't perfect, but far from bad.

Anyway, I'm excited for Raised by Wolves. Since we might not get a third prequel now, this is the closest to it.

They sucked the mystery and intrigue out of the original film and replaced it with more dumb unanswered questions. Some of the visuals are alright and I like the nostalgia for the original in Prometheus - but then that's all it is.

They do reduce the mystery, but I find the answers interesting enough to make them worth exploring. David's a great character, Fassbender nails it.

Personally I think the introduction of the queen and the hive structure reduced the mysterious nature of the alien more than anything in the prequels anyway.

17 hours ago, Evanus said:

Personally I think the introduction of the queen and the hive structure reduced the mysterious nature of the alien more than anything in the prequels anyway.

True. Suddenly the mysterious creature was nothing more than an insect. 

Still, Aliens is better than Prometheus and Covenant put together. Bad writing, non-characters (save for Fassbender) and a constant feeling of cheap exploitation buried the future of the franchise. Well, that and Disney's recent ownership.

maxresdefault.jpg

Two Fassbenders for the price of one.

ALIENS Directors cut is a classic.

Everything that came after....not.

22 hours ago, Quintus said:

Speaking of Prometheus, 

IMG-20200902-WA0001.jpg

Oh dear. 

Still overpriced

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92675&forumID=7&archive=0

Thor's " favorite film of 2012"

😊

18 hours ago, Evanus said:

It did, and it was amazing. The whole finale of Aliens beginning with the reveal of the hive Queen was spectacular. It's iconic cinema. 

Yes, but point was that the prequels really don't ruin the mystery that much in comparison. The pathogen introduced in Prometheus helps keep the mystery intact, as we don't know its origins. Anyway I doubt anyone here is interested in any of that with the hate boner still going strong.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, Evanus said:

The raging hate boner for Ridley Scott and the Alien prequels is just silly. They aren't perfect, but far from bad.

Not hate, not at all.

I love dissecting the idiocy of them.

Not much else makes me laugh so hard.

When, Thor chimes in with his praise, I practically pass out!😅

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Not hate, not at all.

Oh, no, I'm a true Prometheus hater. I really wanted to throw foam bricks at my screen. Sadly I didn't have any. 

I would even say that people who claim it's a masterpiece or it's every bit as good as Alien have bad taste and should be far removed from the 'The Seventh Art'. 

The Xenomorph Queen doesn't remove the mystery, as it still doesn't hint at how or where the creatures came from. All we know in the original trilogy is that the aliens were deadly and rare and what made them terrifying was knowing they were out there. What does spoil the mystery is the revelation of the fucking black goo and the evolution of the xenomorph in both Prometheus and Covenant by a series of serendipitous acts is diabolically awful. They took the Engineers and destroyed them. 

It certainly does remove mystery for me. Instead of a mysterious creature with insect like qualities, it basically is an insect now. I love Aliens, but for me that film did more harm to the actual creature than the prequels did. While having David create the alien does reduce the mystery, I love the whole concept thematically. After all it's only fitting that a rapey creature that defiles the human body in every way, comes from the imagination of a perverted, deranged AI with a strong hatred for his creators. Totally in line with Giger's disturbing visuals and neatly ties into Ash's behaviour in the original.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:48 PM, AC1 said:

MV5BZWM2NmIwZjQtZTEwYS00MmVhLTgzODItMGU3

"Replicants, Synthetics & Androids – oh my! After Blade Runner & Alien, Ridley Scott again visits the world of artificial life, with equally fascinating and thrilling results."

"Raised by Wolves is sci-fi television of a rare breed. While premium cable and streaming services have been raising the bar in the genre for years, Raised by Wolves leaps ahead in craft, scale, and vision. Its novelistic storytelling and slow-burn pacing ask much of its audience, but it offers rewards in kind. For those willing to engage, Raised by Wolves is a stunning work of operatic science fiction that will linger in your mind well after the credits of each episode roll."

"Hands down the most thrilling original sci-fi show in more than a decade."

So, whaddya all think?

First ep is FREE ON YT!

CBS All Access to rebrand as Paramount+

So out of the major studios,

• Disney's streaming service is called Disney+
  • Paramount's streaming service is called Paramount+
  • Universal's streaming service is called Peacock
  • Warner Brothers' streaming service is called HBO Max

will the other 2 conform?

And when will Sony launch one?

Ah, here in the US Yellowstone airs on a cable channel called The Paramount Network, which was a re-branding of an old channel called Spike TV, which was a rebranding of an old channel called The Nashville Network; However the older seasons (1 and 2) stream on Peacock of all places

On 4/4/2020 at 9:31 PM, KK said:

Looks like a Midsommar knockoff.

Caught a few minutes of this on HBO...was really surprised by how ugly it looked.

Bad. Looked like a cheap Midsommar knockoff shot on an iPhone, with a bunch of Instagram filters thrown at it.

To be fair, I just caught the last couple of minutes of an episode.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:48 PM, AC1 said:

MV5BZWM2NmIwZjQtZTEwYS00MmVhLTgzODItMGU3

"Replicants, Synthetics & Androids – oh my! After Blade Runner & Alien, Ridley Scott again visits the world of artificial life, with equally fascinating and thrilling results."

"Raised by Wolves is sci-fi television of a rare breed. While premium cable and streaming services have been raising the bar in the genre for years, Raised by Wolves leaps ahead in craft, scale, and vision. Its novelistic storytelling and slow-burn pacing ask much of its audience, but it offers rewards in kind. For those willing to engage, Raised by Wolves is a stunning work of operatic science fiction that will linger in your mind well after the credits of each episode roll."

"Hands down the most thrilling original sci-fi show in more than a decade."

So.

With all the talk , no one has seen it?

Not even the free first episode?

We haven't even started LOVECRAFT COUNTRY yet

I think the only new 2020 shows we watched were THE OUTSIDER, LOVE LIFE, SPACE FORCE, and PERRY MASON

Peacemaker: The Suicide Squad Spinoff Series Coming to HBO Max!

Gunn will write all 8 episodes and direct multiple episodes including the first. Since the show is expected to begin production in 2021, this will only delay Gunn's work on Guardians Vol. 3.