Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's sci-fi on a grand scale, it features Jared 'Chernobyl' Harris, and yet nobody here seems to be excited for this. Hmm ...

Hahaha true :) TBH I'm more exited for this than I am for Dune. And by the way how the hell don't we know who's scoring this already??

If there's a classic science fiction book series that's even harder to adapt than Dune, it's Foundation. But at least the first Dune book tells a fairly traditional narrative from beginning to end. Anyone who has read Foundation knows...that's not the case.

I don't see any way they're not approaching Foundation the same way Amazon is approaching their "Lord of the Rings" series, i.e. take the nucleus of the author's original ideas and have TV writers make the rest of it up.

22 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

If there's a classic science fiction book series that's even harder to adapt than Dune, it's Foundation.

And indeed, while Dune had been adapted before, Foundation has not. There hadn't even been those many attempts!

There's even a Foundation/Lord of the Rings connection, in that New Line was trying to develop a Foundation movie which ultimately fell apart, but their desire for a big franchise led them being receptive to Lord of the Rings.

Very good call on their part.

I'll definitely check it out, but if I'm honest, the girl's voiceover in the beginning of the trailer worries me. Also, the aesthetic of the show (from the snippets that I can pick up) doesn't seem to appeal all that much to me. Feels a bit sci-fi channel.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

So its fitting that now TV series based of both franchises would be airing, albeit a year apart.

And both cover events spanning millennia (at least in the books they’re inspired by).

My own understanding/estimation of what the Rings show will do is that it won't cover millennia: it'll just take a time period and focus on it. They have quite a few people playing Dwarves, Numenoreans and even Dunlendings, and it'd be foolish to do a couple of chapter or even a season and then send all of those away.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to read this series, but couldn't get past the first one, I found it to be interminably silly and a bit of a Tolkien rip-off (though I'm told later books don't have that issue). Still, they're very beloved by a lot of people, and I'm interested enough to give it a try. The trailer looks fairly fantasy generic, along the lines of Witcher or See, but perhaps the source material will elevate it.

Anyone know who’s doing the score?

Balfe is scoring Wheel of Time as of today. I called it two years ago that him getting His Dark Materials was a slippery slope toward him/RCP scoring everything related to fantasy and possibly getting the LOTR show.

Disappointing news. Buckley would have been better. I wonder if this means that he will score LOTR as well. He did like a post about the LOTR show on twitter a few months ago.

Part of the score apparently, according to Balfe.

Balfe's HDM has a strong theme, but as is usual for his work, it all sounds like it's coming from a computer. Even the main titles has that Zimmerite processed horn blaring to make it sound specifically from the 2010s. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought YouTube comments about the mother and son surviving in an underground world were jokes! But now I'll probably watch it... But wow and oach, those first few minutes of dialgue - they really jammed in the backstory!

Holy crap, Succession Season 3 looks amazing, can't think of any better television content 2021 will have besides this (and Curb Season 11, which will be airing right after Succession every week!)

Disney+ Day will be held on Friday, November 12, 2021, and will act as a celebration for all of the content already on the service. In order to celebrate, Disney plans on releasing a ton of brand new movies, television series, and other presentations to the service. Perhaps the biggest announcement of all, though, is that Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings will land on the platform on November 12, alongside Disney’s Jungle Cruise film.

The full list of content set to hit Disney+ on November 12, 2021, are as follows:

• Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings 
  • Jungle Cruise 
  • The new Disney+ Original movie Home Sweet Home Alone, a reimagining of the popular holiday franchise
  • An all-new original series of shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios called Olaf Presents, which sees Frozen’s beloved snowman retelling several classic Disney tales as only he can
  • Walt Disney Animation Studios shorts, including Frozen Fever, Feast, Paperman, and Get A Horse! 
  • The animated short film Ciao Alberto, featuring characters from Pixar’s Luca 
  • A new short from The Simpsons that pays tribute to Disney+’s marquee brands
  • The first five episodes from season 2 of The World According to Jeff Goldblum from National Geographic
  • A special celebrating the origins and legacy of Star Wars’ legendary bounty hunter, Boba Fett
  • A special celebrating the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney+ with an exciting look towards the future
  • Dopesick, an original series starring Michael Keaton, which will be released in international markets as part of the Star general entertainment content offering

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1195105-disney-announces-disney-day-confirms-shang-chi-streaming-date

Netflix's adaptation of the anime series 'Cowboy Bebop'. 

The style oddly reminds me of The Wachowski's Speed Racer film. As a fan of the anime, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the show. I just know people will scrutinize it to the point of absurdity, especially when an adaptation of a beloved animated series is involved.

Looking forward to Ozark S4!  We enjoyed the first 3 seasons very much, and it is definitely the right time to end it instead of dragging anything out.

I remember that I liked S1 of Ozark. Still have to watch S3 but somehow it doesn't seem to be important for me. I started to have problems with the show during S2. Literally everyone is bad & corrupt, the one even more than the other, and I had a hard time buying that. I did like 'the walk in the forrest' scene but that's was about it. 

I still haven't seen any of The Witcher beyond the first episode, but Netflix has greenlit a season 3 ahead of the season 2 premiere

On 27/09/2021 at 5:26 PM, Jay said:

... Netflix has greenlit a season 3 ahead of the season 2 premiere

They can do that because it's one of their most watched shows. 

From either movie column, the only ones I've seen are Bird Box, The Irishman, Enola Holmes, The Old Guard, and Murder Mystery.

The only one I really liked is The Old Guard. The other 4 I've seen were nothing special IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Season 11 of Curb has a stacked guest list!

So happy to see Jon Hamm back!  His scenes in season 10 were among the funniest the show's ever had!  Vince Vaughn seems to be the show's Bob Einstein replacement too now

Anybody besides @Quintus watch this show here?

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Season 11 of Curb has a stacked guest list!

So happy to see Jon Hamm back!  His scenes in season 10 were among the funniest the show's ever had!  Vince Vaughn seems to be the show's Bob Einstein replacement too now

Anybody besides @Quintus watch this show here?

Good news! Am a big fan of this show and thought the last season was very funny, especially the Latte Larrys storyline!

Season 11 was the best post-Cheryl-as-a-regular season I think, or at least the one with the most laughs maybe.  Then again that season that ended with that Michael J Fox episode was grea too....