Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

On 07/04/2022 at 2:41 PM, Jay said:

>shrug< to me that meant you were talking about the series as a whole, not the final season.  i guess it's an expression I'm not familiar with.  Sorry.

Thought the first 2 seasons were great - witty, exciting updates of Conan Doyle's classic stories. 

First signs that the wheels were starting to come off for me was the middle episode of Season 3 - the mystery-solving is pretty much left until the last 20 - 30 minutes, feeling like an afterthought almost. The build-up to Watson's wedding really isn't as compelling/funny as the writers think ... the scene where a drunk Sherlock throws up on a woman's floor on Watson's stag night actually had me questioning WTF I was watching. 

The standalone, 'set in the original period' Abominable Bride (which I went to the cinema to see) is great fun for the first hour or so ... then came the 'rug-pull' that it's all been happening in the drug-addled Sherlock's mind, he's still on the plane he boarded at the end of Season 3 and it's not 'standalone' at all. I felt cheated, and left the cinema in a bad mood. 

Season 4 ... think the first one was fairly decent, but I spent most of the second one thinking 'Oh FFS SNAP OUT OF IT Sherlock, you drug-addled tit' and the terrible, disappeared-up-its-own-ass finale was only made bearable by counting the references/homages/rip-offs of other things. 

So yeah ... I wish it had had a much, much better ending. The chances of those involved ever getting their schedules aligned to make that happen now seems increasingly unlikely, though.          

• 2 weeks later...

This has already been adapted... fairly recently! And it wasn't that good then.

No original ideas left. Unbelievable.

Time traveling has never led to something good. Even the episodes of Star Trek: TNG that took place in the virtual '40s were the weakest of them all.

MV5BMTQ3ODYwMTM2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMy

On 25/04/2022 at 10:18 PM, LSH said:

This has already been adapted... fairly recently! And it wasn't that good then.

Perhaps a good reason to try again then? (I haven't seen the film version)

The trailer has a moment or two where it looks pretty much exactly like what that bit looked like to me in the book.

On 25/04/2022 at 10:18 PM, LSH said:

No original ideas left. Unbelievable.

Olivia De Havilland GIF by Turner Classic Movies 26828b5bd0af267bccb5955a356fe026f2b5e9d3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone here still watch regular broadcast TV?

Just Ghosts

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

About 13 shows from The CW, NBC and CBS were cancelled today:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/05/networks-cancel-naomi-mr-mayor-kenan-1234724236/

Never seen a second of any of one these or talked to anyone who has 

Oh man, I could be down for that.  I have a weakness for that kind of cheap airport novel thriller style in movies/TV.... when it's done well.  The McConaughey movie was pretty darn good as I remember.

It arrived on Netflix today so I might try an episode. I watched Big Little Lies S1, Nine Perfect Strangers and Mr. Mercedes. 

Oh, I have seen Big Little Lies - I forgot he was involved with that one

There's something about the shared tone of the shows of his that I've seen that just really puts me off.  Even when they seem up my alley, as in the case of Goliath on Amazon, which I quit after a few eps.

It's one of the best comedies on TV right now!

I think it's much better than the movie

23 hours ago, AC1 said:

It (The Lincoln Lawyer) arrived on Netflix today so I might try an episode.

Gave up during the first episode. Too lawyer-ish and characters I don't care for. 

Another Only Murders In The Building Season 2 teaser

Selena Gomez was on SNL this weekend and she talked in every skit just like she does on this show - all subdued and sounding like her teeth are clenched.  So I guess that's just how she is.  It's annoying but what are you gonna do

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

They're turning Interview With The Vampire into a series too

Well, it's based on a book from a series of books, so why not. (Video unavailable in my country)

• 2 weeks later...