Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

Reservation Dogs season 2 teaser

Anybody here seen this show?  We wanted to check it out but haven't yet

• 2 weeks later...

I read the book back in ‘99.

It was a terrific read - even for a young mind (I was 19) - so I never felt any urge to see the series.

Seeing, how they drag this out, I’m glad I didn’t.

I can recommend the book though.

Another Stephen King series in the works: The Talisman.

I read this book about 25 years ago, but from what I can remember it should make good content.

However, I don't know if I am superexcited about the fact that it is the Duffer brothers developing this, I think that Stranger Things has been on a downhill slope since S1, making me think that maybe it was more of a "lucky shot" than actual talent behind the series success.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to this!

https://deadline.com/2022/07/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-interview-season-five-1235058041/

16 hours ago, rough cut said:

I read the book back in ‘99.

It was a terrific read - even for a young mind (I was 19) - so I never felt any urge to see the series.

Seeing, how they drag this out, I’m glad I didn’t.

I can recommend the book though.

I recommend the sequel The Testaments from just three years ago even more (though the original should be read first). It's quite possible the best thing I've read by Atwood. Which is also why, though I haven't seen a single episode yet, I'm interested in the series as a whole. I don't know if it is directly/officially related to The Testaments, and even if it is, the second novel's structure and setting means that they probably still would have to invent a lot, so don't let the supposed inferiority of the later seasons keep you from giving a chance to one of the best unlikely sequels I've read.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I recommend the sequel The Testaments from just three years ago even more (though the original should be read first). It's quite possible the best thing I've read by Atwood. Which is also why, though I haven't seen a single episode yet, I'm interested in the series as a whole.

I haven’t seen anything of the series either - and have no intention to (at the time at least) - but I will take you up on the recommendation on reading The Testaments.

Maybe I’ll reconsider checking out the series after having read it, same as you.

Just now, rough cut said:

but I will take you up on the recommendation on reading The Testaments.

Keep in mind that it's *very* different, in style, setting, and structure, and only gradually reveals its ties to the first book. But that's what Atwood excels at (see also her MaddAddam trilogy, which supposedly has been in preparation for a TV series for years).

On 07/01/2022 at 2:33 PM, Edmilson said:

Amazon Greenlights Fallout TV Show From Westworld Co-Creators

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1207172-amazon-greenlights-fallout-tv-show-from-westworld-co-creators

I can see Westworld going the way of Game of Thrones: its creators were attached to so many different projects, they decided to finish GoT as soon as possible, no matter if the story needed more time to develop.

Filming has begun

I'm a bit tired of the whole space age/atompunk thing that Fallout popularised (I barely made it a few hours into The Outer Worlds before getting bored with it), but I hope this show is good.

On 19/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Docteur Qui said:

I'm a bit tired of the whole space age/atompunk thing that Fallout popularised (I barely made it a few hours into The Outer Worlds before getting bored with it), but I hope this show is good.

I mean it’s really just Mad Max; and The Outer Worlds was fantastic!

OMG.

At last.

Lestat, this king of charmers and manipulators, a jaded vampire who has passed through all the hopes and despair that can live men and gods. But who will eventually meet the beautiful and tragic-hearted Louis who will end up almost causing his loss.

An impossible love story transgressing all the taboos of men, going far beyond sexuality and labels. Do angels have sex... and what about the Gods?

Finally, an adaptation that already promises to be more faithful, less watered down.

Witness the tragic rise and fall of the Great Lestat.

Criminal Minds begins filming season 16 on August 8, 2022. 08/08/22. 

On 24/07/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bespin said:

OMG.

At last.

Lestat, this king of charmers and manipulators, a jaded vampire who has passed through all the hopes and despair that can live men and gods. But who will eventually meet the beautiful and tragic-hearted Louis who will end up almost causing his loss.

An impossible love story transgressing all the taboos of men, going far beyond sexuality and labels. Do angels have sex... and what about the Gods?

Finally, an adaptation that already promises to be more faithful, less watered down.

Witness the tragic rise and fall of the Great Lestat.

I've never read the books and don't really know much about them, and I can't remember if I ever saw the first movie or not, I know I did see the Queen of the Damned movie though.

So I watched this trailer with a completely open mind, and it seemed interesting for a while, then kinda got silly eventually.  I think there's been so much vampire content in the last 10 years, they've just run out ways to make vampire life and vampires biting people interesting any more.  I dunno.

Weird that it looks like the show will have both modern day scenes and old timey scenes?  And wasn't the movie about a teenage girl (Kirsten Dunst?) Why isn't she in this trailer?

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never read the books and don't really know much about them, and I can't remember if I ever saw the first movie or not, I know I did see the Queen of the Damned movie though.

So I watched this trailer with a completely open mind, and it seemed interesting for a while, then kinda got silly eventually.  I think there's been so much vampire content in the last 10 years, they've just run out ways to make vampire life and vampires biting people interesting any more.  I dunno.

Weird that it looks like the show will have both modern day scenes and old timey scenes?  And wasn't the movie about a teenage girl (Kirsten Dunst?) Why isn't she in this trailer?

Well, Anne Rice's novels from the Vampire Chronicles series (started in 1976... only the first 5 novels are about Lestat) was the "ones" that opened the Bal moderne and settled the "rules" for the other franchises (Twilight, True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, etc.).

Then yes it's a Vampire story so we travel in tme.  The story of the first novel starts with the memories of Louis, in the 1920s in Nouvelle Orléans, when he met Lestat and was transformed by him. Years laters, when Louis tell his story to a journalist, we are in the present.

Then, the child-Vampire Claudia... ah.... a beginner's error of Louis (who never really accepted his fate)... Never transform a child... you'll understand why it's non-written rule among Vampires...

Then the Chronicles will follow the quest of Lestat thought the ages, because he's an old Vampire... You'll meet even more older Vampires, the origin of the curse (we think) called the Queen of the Damned, a pre-Egyptian Queen... But who's Lestat?  We'll eventually learn he was there at the crucifixion of Jesus...

For me, Anne Rice hitted the right spot with her novels: what it's really like to be immortal? Is it really fun? And what about the Vampire loneliness?

What are the psychological impacts of seeing all the people you love die? To have known The Christ, Johann Sebastian Bach and then David Bowie?

Can we survive the test of time and fashion?

Her novels went very far, it was not comedy. We were in the metaphysics of Good and Evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Upcoming Guillermo Del Toro show

Episodes:

"The Autopsy" directed by David Prior (The Empty Man)

"The Outside" directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night)

"The Viewing" directed by Panos Cosmatos (Mandy)

"Dreams in the Witch House" directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight)

"Lot 36" directed by Guillermo Navarro (Narcos)

"Pickman's Model" directed by Keith Thomas (Firestarter)

"Graveyeard Rats" directed by Vincenzo Natali (In the Tall Grass)

"The Mourning" directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook)

Lot's of new stuff announced!!!!

Most excited about:

The White Lotus S2

The White Lotus: Plumbers (Spinoff with Woody Harrelson, Lena Heady & Justin Theroux)

Succession S4

The Gilded Age S2

Love & Death (With Elizabeth Olsen & Jesse Plemmons)

Hacks

The Last Of Us.

With all this. Why does HBOMax have to go. It's a great service

Yea they have all the best content

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The White Lotus: Plumbers (Spinoff with Woody Harrelson, Lena Heady & Justin Theroux)

LOL, it's "The White House Plumbers" NOT White Lotus. No relation at all to that show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_House_Plumbers

‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ Renewed for Season 12 at HBO

I thought it already had been.  Anyway, Larry's quote here is gold:

“Playing the role of Larry David has been the greatest honor of my life,” Larry David said. “In researching this multi-faceted, multi-talented man, I discovered that there’s more to him than I ever could have imagined: He speaks six languages, brines his own pickles, and spearheads a national movement to install a bidet in every home. I’ve also been told from numerous sources that he is the most generous of lovers. I am so excited to once again transform into this force of nature. I only pray that I can do him justice.”

‘King Kong’ Live-Action Series in the Works at Disney+

The project would explore the origins of the great ape and Skull Island.

This one sounds pretty interesting: "The Disney+ project is a serialized adventure story that will return to Skull Island, exploring the mythology and mystery of Kong’s home."

It won't be connected to the Legendary Monsterverse though

I don't know anybody who still watches Handmaid's Tale, but there's a season 5 trailer out