Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

No.  The Acolyte and Ahsoka are two completely different shows

Ahsoka stars Rosario Dawson reprising the character she played on season 2 of The Mandalorian and Season 1 of The Book of Boba Fett, and is set in that same time period (5 years after ROTJ).  It's basically the third entry in the Favreau/Filoni live action -verse, and also stars Hayden Christensen as Anakin (de-aged for flashbacks?), Natasha Liu Bordizzo as Sabine Wren, Eman Esfandi as Ezra Bridger, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ray Stevensen, and supposedly Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn.  They've already filmed it and it comes out next year, likely in the summer-ish since Mando 3 was filmed before it and is slotted to debut in February.

The Acolyte is written by Leslye Headland (Terriers, Russian Doll, Sleeping With Other People) and is set 100 years before the prequels.  All we know is it stars Amandla Stenberg, Jodie Turner-Smith, Lee Jung-jae, Manny Jacinto, and Charlie Barnett, we don't know the character names or premise or anything yet.  They just started filming it last month so it'll probably drop in late 2023.  

There's also a third live-action show coming in 2023, called Skeleton Crew.  That's written by Jon Watts (Clown, Cop Car, Spider-man Homecoming) and Christopher Ford (Robot & Frank, Clown, Cop Car, Spider-man Homecoming, Clovehitch Killer, Chaos Walking) and is also set in the Mando/Boba/Ashoka timeline.  All we know is it stars Jude Law and just started filming in September so is also likely a late 2023 drop.

As for why none of these shows have their own thread yet.... there's barely anything to discuss (no trailers or nothing), but what blips of news we've gotten are in this thread:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33326-lucasfilm-announces-a-bunch-of-new-star-wars-projects/

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Woweeee, that's exciting! So happy to see John Noble joining the best show on telly, he's a great asset to anything he's in.

On 27/10/2022 at 8:36 PM, Disco Stu said:

Everyone who approved Tim Allen’s Santa makeup in the D+ series should be fired, it’s shockingly bad.  It seems he spends a lot of time not in the makeup at least.

What knowledge was lost over the past 20 years?

image.pngimage.png

Guy Ritchie’s series followup to “The Gentlemen” at Netflix has set its main cast.

Theo James (“The Time Traveler's Wife,” “The White Lotus”)

Kaya Scodelario (“Crawl,” “The Pale Horse”)

Daniel Ings (“I Hate Suzie”)

Joely Richardson (“Lady Chatterley’s Lover”)

Giancarlo Esposito (“Better Call Saul,” “The Mandalorian”)

Peter Serafinowicz (“The Tick”)

Vinnie Jones (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,” “Snatch”)

I liked this film a lot, but nothing about it told me it needed a sequel movie, let alone an ongoing TV series

On 26/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, Jay said:

First trailer for Poker Face, Rian Johnson's new show

Nice to spot JGL in there. 

On 2/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, Jay said:

Another show I've never seen up to its third season now

I like this one a lot. Glad it’s the final season though! I always prefer a series end on a high note rather than dragging things out. 

On 27/10/2022 at 10:03 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I saw the first episode and really liked it but I haven’t gotten around to seeing more yet. I did however catch the first two episodes of The Peripheral (based on a book by William Gibson) on Amazon Prime. Really good stuff so far, if you like hard sci-fi!

The trailers don’t especially capture its quality but here they are anyway:

Yavar

I wonder why nobody else is discussing this show. I think, it is really great. So far almost every episode opened up another layer in this story. The visuals and the action are top. Good acting. And even though everything happening seems familiar the show is still somehow doing its own thing.

I've been watching The Peripheral, and so far I enjoy it a lot. It combines a somewhat novel idea with a good cast and a captivating design. I just still don't know what else to say about it; it hasn't yet moved beyond the category of good, but not particularly remarkable show for me. William Gibson seems to be happy with how it turned out in any case, judging from his Twitter feed.

Wrong thread though.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's @Yavar Moradi's fault! 

checking blood and oil GIF

Seriously though, it's why I never replied to the original post. I figured I'd post in the general TV series thread once I had something more to say about it (probably when the season is over). Switching the discussion to the other thread might bring it more attention, but since I was too lazy to cross-reply myself, I just pointed it out in the end, in the hopes that someone else might move it or restart it over there.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

It's @Yavar Moradi's fault! 

So this thread is only for shows which have had *no* episodes released yet? That hasn’t seemed to be the case, and The Peripheral only just started so majority of even its first season is still upcoming.

Yavar

If you watch a show and want to talk about it, you click on "what was the last show you watched?". 

Makes sense to me. 

I mainly posted in this thread to share the trailers (as other shows have gotten here, but no one had shared trailers for this one). I guess at the end I posted a very short sentence about liking the first two episodes, but I hardly got into “discussion”.

Yavar

9 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mainly posted in this thread to share the trailers (as other shows have gotten here, but no one had shared trailers for this one). I guess at the end I posted a very short sentence about liking the first two episodes, but I hardly got into “discussion”.

Yavar

You posted in the wrong thread, and you must be punished.

image.png

Yeah, sorry. It is rather my fault. I searched for existing posts about the show and replied to Yavar's post here instead of posting in the other thread and just referencing the post.

I will try to avoid such a mess in the future.

On 16/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Jay said:

Crazy to think that Curb special/pilot aired over 23 years ago

I've seen all the seasons multiple times but have never seen that special/pilot. Is it on HBO Max?

I have no idea, I saw it via the season 1 DVD many years ago now.

It's only OK, not as good as the show proper 

• 3 weeks later...