Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

On 23/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, Jay said:

Nicolas Winding Refn has a new TV series coming out

Aha! It's a good thing that I renewed my subscription.

Strange, his previous TV series (Too Old To Die Young) was on Amazon Prime.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Sigh

Before you ask: it'll be based on the 2018 PS4 game, not the PS2 ones from the 2000s.

It’s a pity Prime are doing it. All their fantasy shows have been CW levels of bad but with big budgets. 

50 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Apple TV+ is developing a series based on William Gibson’s seminal cyberpunk novel Neuromancer.

Interesting. I recently watched The Peripheral, and quite enjoyed it, though it did get more confusing and to me more meandering as it went on. I don't know how it matches the book it adapts, or how much of it it covers - according to Gibson, it's best seen as an alternate take on the same ideas and concepts, but he apparently likes it.

Neuromancer however I *have* read (and I've got the sequels on my todo list), so I'm especially interested in this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I recently watched The Peripheral, and quite enjoyed it, though it did get more confusing and to me more meandering as it went on.

I am watching The Peripheral right now. Jeez it’s slow, and I find the script to be more dumb rather than smart. Occasionally interesting but not very entertaining to watch.

Taylor Sheridan’s next TV series Lioness stars Nicole Kidman, Zoe Saldaña, Laysla De Oliveira, Jill Wagner, Dave Annable, LaMonica Garrett, James Jordan, Austin Hébert, Hannah Love Lanier, Stephanie Nur, and Jonah Wharton

It's not another Yellowstone spinoff

Lioness presents the untold story of the first group of women soldiers in US history to be sent into direct ground combat, in violation of official policy. Told through intimate accounts, journal excerpts, archive footage, as well as interviews with military commanders, the film follows five women who served together for a year in Iraq. With captivating detail, this probing documentary reveals the unexpected course of events that began with using US women soldiers to defuse tensions with local civilians, but resulted in the women's fighting in some of the bloodiest counter-insurgency battles of the war. Together the women's candid narratives and scenes from their lives back home form a portrait of the emotional and psychological effects of war from a female point of view. Lioness is the first film to bridge the gap between perception and reality of the role women in the military are playing in Iraq, capturing an historical turning point for American society.

In the last month I binge-watched several very good TV shows one after the others:

• Heartstopper (that was cute)
  • American Crime Story S2: Versace (this is an old one, I know, but I finally understood it was part of a series and not a movie... the first and third season of that series are mainly ZZZzzz, especially the third one, but the Versace season is great, it's more about the serial killer who murdered Versace, than about Versace itself... In fact, I even didn't know he was murdered by a serial killer...)
  • American Horror Story : New York (that one was, as usual, weird, having in background story, the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 80s, seeing it as a killing "monster"... well after all, it really was...)
  • White Lotus 1 & 2 (great music, great humor, great acting, it was fun)
  • Wednesday (efficient dark humour, I recognized my Wednesday, Jenna Ortega is perfect in the main character, altough I really think Gomez and Morticia were very badly casted... but they are just background characters in that series after all...)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife (well played, interesting, inspired by the novel who inspired the old TV series Dr. Who, less simple than Back to The Future hehe)
  • The Sandman (I loved the tone of that one, it have many secondary characters, but eh, it's inspired from a comic book, I hope that they will make another season!)
  • Squid Game (that was good and gore, a few lenghts, but in the whole, entertaining).

Some series were "well, that's okay, but they definitely lack something", but I watched them all: AndorMinx.

Some, I stopped them after few minutes only: His Darker Material (too complicated, and well, without any interest), Willow (sorry, but the actors we see at the beginning of the first episode are rotten, I don't even speak about the character Willow, bacause I love Warwick Davis, but we don't even see him!), 1899 (the music is so horrible in the first episode, that it got me, I don't watch series to trigger panic attacks, and well the actors were very so-so... STOP!), Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Spock is now a muscled Hunk?  Mercy... STOOOOOOP!), What We Do in the Shadows (just NO), Barry (NOOO).

What to watch next? That's the big question.

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:
  • The Time Traveler's Wife (well played, interesting, inspired by the novel who inspired the old TV series Dr. Who)

Not quite, Bes. It inspired Steven Moffat in his writing of stories for Nu Who, but, since the novel was published in 2003, it's extremely doubtful that it inspired either Sidney Newman, or Donald Wilson.

Also, dude, "Dr. Who" is not the preferred nomenclature. It's "DOCTOR WHO".

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not quite, Bes. It inspired Steven Moffat in his writing of stories for Nu Who, but, since the novel was published in 2003, it's extremely doubtful that it inspired either Sidney Newman, or Donald Wilson.

Oh, I though it was inspired by an older novel from the 60s.

As far as I am aware, DW is an original idea, created, exclusively, by writers and a department head, in 1963. I cannot find any literary inspiration for it (except, of course, novels such as THE TIME MACHINE).

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Unless you're Peter Cushing!

Ha-ha!

(tentatively) yeeeesss, but... that's not canon :)

Wow Harrison Ford has another TV series abut to come out, and its created by Bill Lawrence (Scrubs), Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso) and Jason Segel (Dispatches from Elsewhere)

On 17/01/2023 at 5:16 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

The timelord is not the issue here.