Patrick Doyle's DEATH ON THE NILE (2022)

toothless

If you're talking about MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, I didn't like it enough to keep it in my collection, but it had some great individual cues. If memory serves, the 9-minute "Justice" was one such example.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Really? What are the highlights?

Journey Theme

Train theme

Suite of the two themes above

Poirot jazzy material

Armstrong Theme - Doyle's masterpiece is this long track - a tour de force exploration of the Armstrong theme which is the main thrust of the story. It is superb and very impactful in the film. It is insanely melancholic, elegiac and devastating.

Song version of the Armstrong Theme

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Armstrong Theme - Doyle's masterpiece is this long track - a tour de force exploration of the Armstrong theme which is the main thrust of the story. It is superb and very impactful in the film. It is insanely melancholic, elegiac and devastating.

The other tracks aren't doing a lot for me, but that one is beautiful.

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's that?

An " Amurican" is a person who lives in a declining, soon to be Third World country- and still thinks he lives in " the greatest country on Earth".

😉

• 1 month later...

New audio interview with Patrick Doyle available at this link:

https://radio1.be/podcast-soundtrack-maestro

He talks about Death on the Nile starting at 35:49; At one point he mentions that he was able to write a 10 minute concert suite, but doesn't specify if it will be on the OST album or not

• 1 month later...

The actor playing Poirot in Orient Express is just about the worst Poirot ever. He doesn't fit Poirot's description one bit. 

Can you imagine that guy retiring to a small house in the countryside to grow pumpkins? 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Same level. 

None of these people seem to have read a Poirot novel in their lives. 

The score was magnificent and the movie was well produced but the first movie was a very poor adaptation. There was no sense of mystery to the movie and honestly most audiences wouldn't even be able to follow the plot. Audiences just liked it for the eye candy and all star-cast.

As coincidence would have it, the film was running on TV today. Again, what an overdramatized piece of crap. Everyone's so out of character it's laughable.

As subtle as a bullet to the head. 

The final scene makes it even worse, when Poirot is told there already was a death on the Nile. So not only is the Orient Express movie a letdown, the movie finishes by telling you the next one will be way off the novel. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, Jay said:

“Death on the Nile” — a follow-up to 2017’s box office hit “Murder on the Orient Express” — will bow on Dec. 18, 2020, vacating its original Oct. 23 premiere.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:48 AM, Jay said:

On 12/18/2020 at 5:08 PM, Jay said:

New release date for the film: September 17, 2021

Moved again, to Feb 11, 2022

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The only thing I care about this movie is Patrick Doyle's score. The rest can go to hell.

Me too. Even if they just release the album and shelf the movie for ever I would be okay.

The story is a weak sister to the great ORIENT mystery.

But, a good rewrite could make it better.

Sorry, Agatha😒

9 hours ago, Jay said:

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

I had no idea about this scandal.

Has it been widely publicized?

Disney is out of luck if they are contemplating replacing Hammer.

Christopher Plummer just passed away!

Screenshot_2021-03-28-19-50-13.png

Is this how it works now? You don't like someone, accuse him of one of the Three Big Rs (Rape, Racism, Rightwing), and he'll be dropped by everyone? 

In that case, what's Zimmer's ex's phone number? 

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I had no idea about this scandal.

Has it been widely publicized?

It has received global worldwide headlines in bold print front page etc. - BBC, NYT, WSJ you name. This has surprisingly been a pretty big main stream news story given its tabloidy nature.

But again journalism today is garbage gutter trash and lurid sex sells for all providers. 

But yeah pretty big story and one of the most spectacular downfalls in recent Hollywood history.

If anyone doesn't know the story, here's an article about it

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/18/entertainment/armie-hammer-sexual-assault-investigation-trnd/index.html

and a huge reddit thread if you really want to go down a rabbit hole

https://www.reddit.com/r/armiehammerreceipts/comments/lgxhvw/masterpost_of_ah_receipts/

• 8 months later...

Colour me surprised... probably figured they could weather the controversy around Elgort for WSS (due to the film's prestige and Spielberg's reputation) but not the Hammer allegations as well.

It's coming Feb 11. New poster and trailer.

Disney again pulling that "how to cut a trailer around your leading man by showing as few shots of him as possible" trick. Check out the teaser, this new trailer has way less Hammer.

I think the way the names of the characters and the way the actors are placed on the posters is weird.

Gal Gadot is all the way in front but gets 7th billing.

And I would think Kenneth Branagh would be first. And both Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders as a With/And line in front of their names.

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It's coming Feb 11. New poster and trailer.

Disney again pulling that "how to cut a trailer around your leading man by showing as few shots of him as possible" trick. Check out the teaser, this new trailer has way less Hammer.

So, in a way, it's not hammer time. You really can't touch this.

I'm not sure I'm hugely excited by any of these films, there are so many Poirot adaptations and Murder on the Orient Express didn't do much for me. Then again, I associate it with the end of the day on my 40th birthday after a nice family lunch and we didn't really have anything planned. It wasn't really what I had in mind...

18 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think the way the names of the characters and the way the actors are placed on the posters is weird.

And I would think Kenneth Branagh would be first. And both Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders as a With/And line in front of their names.

It's just alphabetical order not to show who's more important I guess. It would make sense on the older poster but not on this one

39 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Billing is decided by contracts. It doesn't dictate who they used to promote the film.

It's clearly the have decided to promote it around Gadot now since they can't promote it around Hammer. You could say in the current cast, Gadot is the biggest draw, so she gets prominent placement on the posters and in the trailers regardless of billing. 

I hadn't watched the new trailer yet but I finally watched it now.  I dunno, looks about on par with the first film I guess

On a slightly related note - how toxic is Hammer? They are reshooting his scenes in another film out next year by Taika Waititi. Will Arnett stepping in his shoes. The Deadline article linked says reshoots for Death on the Nile were not possible given the ensemble nature of the production.