Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Giftheck

Peter Bernstein should SO score this. If Jason Reitman is directing because his dad did the original, Peter should get the nod for the score when his dad did the original... he is a great and under-used composer who could really use a break here. And he also had the benefit of having worked closely with his father on multiple scores, including sharing composing duties on Wild Wild West, Canadian Bacon, Bolero, and his own (AWESOME) score to Rough Riders, to which Elmer contributed a theme and a couple cues.

He's also conducting Ghostbusters live to picture, this year, and so would be even refreshing his memory/familiarity with that original work.

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's one of the last things they have left to get us to drag our sad aging asses to the theater, seeing the remaining living Ghostbusters suit up and bust some heads in a spiritual sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, apparently the movie's title is indeed Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and the first trailer will come out any day now:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror/ghostbusters/ghostbusters-2020-title-confirmed-first-trailer-expected-to-be-released-any-day-now-a171984

I think the series isn't necessarily crying for sequels in a general sense, and I'm sure I've made it known that I was lukewarm on GB2 as it was, so I grew up not seeing Ghostbusters as some sacred object.  But the general concept of quippy scientists catching ghosts is enough to fuel any number of movies.  This is a series that doesn't require an overarching mythology or arc. I see no problem with them putting out a bunch of ghost fighting adventures.

A few years back I remember reading that turd Max Landis' pitch for a new Ghostbusters movie that accounted for all circumstances (bringing in a new generation, Ramis' death, Murray's disinterest in playing ball) which actually did spring its plot from the existing mythology (Zuul-based?) and thinking it was really well done.  I'm sure that still exists online somewhere.

If you google Murray and Ramis, you'd see that they didn't speak for nearly two decades - basically from Groundhog Day until Ramis was on his deathbed.  Given that, I think it's very reasonable to infer that Ramis' involvement may have been one of Murray's sticking points during that time period.

He seemed to resent Ghostbusters after 1989 and complained that there was too much of a focus on slime in the second one even though he was in most of the movie and they're supernatural comedies about zany scientists catching ghosts.

from what I heard, he didn't want to do the 2016 film either but Sony stuck him with the threat of being sued if he didn't as apparently it was in his Ghostbusters 2 contract.

No such restrictions here, he'd be free to walk away entirely. I bet it's nothing as sinister as 'Harold Ramis is dead', but I'd definitely think 'Bill Murray wants the money'.

Vanity Fair has a big article with information and bunch of pics

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/12/ghostbusters-afterlife-first-look

The basic plot seems to be

The single mom and her two kids at the center of Ghostbusters: Afterlife have all these conflicts, complications, and issues—but on top of that, this family is also dealing with actual free-floating, full-torso vaporous apparitions, focused nonterminal repeating phantasms, and Class 5 full-roaming vapors.

Real nasty ones too.

A trailer for the July 10 film will debut on Monday, and Vanity Fair got an exclusive glimpse of the new characters at the heart of the story, with The Leftovers’ Carrie Coon starring as mom Callie, I, Tonya’s Mckenna Grace as her science-obsessed daughter Phoebe, and Stranger Things’ Finn Wolfhard as gearhead son Trevor. They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know.

and

“As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman said. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”

Reitman doesn’t want to confirm much else about the family’s history, but people may already notice some familiarity in their appearance.

In the collapsing barn of their farmhouse, they find an old car, bloomed with rust, hidden beneath a tarp—the retro-ambulance turned ghost-hunting mobile. 

lol @ Rudd's character being named Mr. Grooberson.

I really like the fact that the plot, at least in synopsis form, appears to be very different from the movies that came before it.  I think attempting to recreate the feel of the '80s movies is a mistake.

Manhattan was such a vital component to GB1 and GB2, and the reboot as well, it seems weird to set the actual third chapter elsewhere entirely.  Like this looks so un-Ghostbusters-like:

ELHlPDAWoAA1bmx.jpg

But maybe that's what the franchise needs to keep it interesting.  Who knows.

Yeah, after the 2016 movie it became clear that they want to avoid another big battle with ghosts on the streets of Manhattan. Instead, I guess they're going to a more Stranger Things-like route for the 2020 movie, and not only because of Finn Wolfhard, but with this whole theme of kids on a small town fighting supernatural threats.

Now that I think about it, both 2016 GB and Stranger Things came out on the month - actually, on the exact same day, July 15 2016 - and both inspired this 2020 movie, in one way or another.

There's one question I want this movie to answer and that's if the Ectos 1 and 1A were separate cars. It's an old schoolyard debate and I've always been of the opinion that the original car breaks down in II and the 1A is an entirely different car. The fact that the car is in the original state and also that they use the original car in the apparently canon video game raises the question, if they're the same car, why would they downgrade it after upgrading it in the second one?

Ecto 1 breaks down, Ray finds another car, enter the 1A. Maybe the 1A suffered the same fate and they went back to the other car or used both. Maybe the 1 is stored at a farm while the 1A is parked in the firehouse 

The Ghost of Christmas Past is here to take us on a journey back to December 2007

http://www.mtv.com/news/2429515/jason-reitman-doesnt-want-to-cross-streams-with-his-ghostbusters-dad/

When a film made your dad's directorial career, but now you've triumphantly stepped out of his shadow to launch your own, who are you not gonna call?

"It's funny, I get asked that question actually quite often," explained "Juno" director Jason Reitman, admitting that he's still haunted by the "Ghostbusters" legacy of his father, Ivan. After years of speculation surrounding a potential third film, however, Jason continues to insist he won't be taking the reins.

"It would be the most boring 'Ghostbusters' movie of all time. There would be no ghost busting," laughed the red-hot 30-year-old, who broke out in 2005 with "Thank You for Smoking." "I like making really small, personal movies. When I read 'Juno,' I just thought it was iconic. And 'Ghostbusters' is iconic, but it's my dad's, and I don't think I can touch that."

my guess is that all you see here is in the first hour or so.  Its quite clear that the farm is where Egon went, and died.  Those costumes in the closet are his (there are at least 2 hints in the trailer that it's his old place).