Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Giftheck

This is a fun article.

If you're looking for "news," not much there - but it does say that all of the returning cast members shot their roles scattered over the course of one week, so don't expect any of them to play a major role.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/01/hanging-with-bill-murray-on-the-set-of-ghostbusters-afterlife

• 2 months later...

Sigh

MORBIUS, GHOSTBUSTER: AFTERLIFE And UNCHARTED Have All Been Pushed Back By Sony Pictures

We knew this was inevitable in the wake of the current coronavirus pandemic, and Sony Pictures has now announced that three of its upcoming tentpole releases have been pushed back. Unlike Marvel's Black Widow, however, we do know when these movies will hit theaters.

Originally scheduled for July 30, Spider-Man spinoff Morbius, the Living Vampire will now bow on March 19, 2021, while Ghostbusters: Afterlife is moving from its July 10 release to March 5, 2021. That date had been reserved for video game adaptation Uncharted, which has been shifted to October 8, 2021 - moving the untitled Sony Marvel movie that was previously in that spot into undated status.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/morbius/morbius-ghostbuster-afterlife-and-uncharted-have-all-been-pushed-back-by-sony-pictures-a174213

That's plenty of time to abandon this kids on a farm storyline and reshoot it with the original cast. Too bad Hollywood is also shut down and the original cast are elderly.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

5th March? That's strange, to say the least.

Sony's being super careful. I do think if theaters open up by July or August, some of these early 2021 titles will get bumped up.

The studios already have stuff slotted into late 2020 and I'm sure they're hopeful to keep those slots.  They're starting to backload, filling slots previously reserved for movies that haven't been/won't be completed on time with movies that will.  I think the only reason those won't stay put is if they'd need to be pushed back again.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That date had been reserved for video game adaptation Uncharted, which has been shifted to October 8, 2021

Uncharted for my birthday?

That sounds about right.

Bring it on!

(Now let new get back to playing Uncharted. :D )

Thing is, when we go back to normal, enough for cinemas to open (I would hope late sptring sort of time), they're going to need films to show, and fast.

So while now things are being shelved (or post production periods extended), we could see a reversal in 3 months, when suddenly studios are racing to get new films out the door, and commissioning emergency scores.

Perhaps in the first few weeks/months, cinemas show older films or prequels (to expected sequels).

I have my doubts this movie was generating any serious buzz anyway. The whole production came out of nowhere and the movie seemed fast-tracked. They slapped in trendy Gen Z star (Ghostbusters doesn't appeal to kids these days), Gen X doll from Clueless (appeals to Gen X and millennials and perhaps has Gen Z crossover appeal due to his appearances in popular comedies, Marvel and also his physical appearance, botoxed and de-aged to still appear theoretically in his 30s) and the original cast in minimal roles (appeals to the old timers), while completely ignoring the garbage fem remake. It's all very calculated, but weirdly calculated. I'm not sure who the hell this is for. Ghostbuster kids on a farm?

When I was a kid, I typically didn't like kids in movies and TV. I looked up to the adults. A perfect example of this is Jurassic Park, where I didn't want to see the kids, but rather the grown-ups (and dinosaurs). Ghostbusters? In their 30s and 40s. Batman? 30s, possibly pushing 40. Enterprise crews? 30s, 40s, 50s and God knows what for Picard. Made sense to have seasoned officers in charge of the flagship. In the JJ Abrams Star Trek, the ship was ludicrously inherited by a bunch of kids. Point is, I liked adults in movies. Nowadays, these roles have all been de-aged and kids are being unbelievably and annoyingly cast in the roles. Is everything for kids these days and do kids actually want to see kids in the roles? Again, we now have Ghostbuster kids on a farm.

Bob? Gun.

I guess to move up was the right call. The buzz for the movie wasn't exactly outstanding, and it would have to face the first semester blockbusters (Mulan, Black Widow, etc). that got delayed due to the virus. Now they'll have more time to build their marketing strategy.

I think what is going to happen is:

Movies that would be coming out in March to May 2020 -> Actually premieres on June, July, August

Movies from mid 2020 -> Actually premieres on August to November 2020

Movies from late 2020 -> Actually premieres on early 2021

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I have my doubts this movie was generating any serious buzz anyway. The whole production came out of nowhere and the movie seemed fast-tracked. They slapped in trendy Gen Z star (Ghostbusters doesn't appeal to kids these days), Gen X doll from Clueless (appeals to Gen X and millennials and perhaps has Gen Z crossover appeal due to his appearances in popular comedies, Marvel and also his physical appearance, botoxed and de-aged to still appear theoretically in his 30s) and the original cast in minimal roles (appeals to the old timers), while completely ignoring the garbage fem remake. It's all very calculated, but weirdly calculated. I'm not sure who the hell this is for. Ghostbuster kids on a farm?

Paul Rudd doesn't do botox or any of that. 

He's aging damn well.

• 6 months later...

Sony Pictures said Wednesday that it has moved the release date of Ghostbusters: Afterlife from March to June 11, 2021, which will be the same weekend as the first Ghostbusters film was released in 1984. It becomes the latest tentpole shift in the theatrical calendar given the ongoing restrictions of movie theaters amid the pandemic.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/ghostbusters-afterlife-release-date-june-2021-1234601370/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bill Murray on this film:

Murray shared how the conversation between him and director Jason Reitman began, “I remember him calling me and saying, ‘I’ve got an idea for another ‘Ghostbusters.’ I’ve had this idea for years.I thought, ‘What the heck could that possibly be?’ I remember him when he was a kid. I remember his Bar Mitzvah. I was like, ‘What the heck? What does this kid know?’ But he had a really, really wonderful idea that he wrote with another wonderful guy that I got to work with, Gil Kenan, who made ‘City of Ember.’ The two of them wrote a ‘Ghostbusters’ movie that really brings it back to life. It really has the feel of the first one, more than the second one or the girls’ one. It has a different feel than two out of four.”

The film was originally slated to be released last year and has since reshuffled its opening to November 11. Murray talked about Reitman’s task to carry his father Ivan Reitman’s mantle while creating a story with new leads that brings the legacy characters back in some way.

“I think he’s really got something,” Murray continued, “It was hard. It was really hard. That’s why I think it’s gonna be good. We were just in it for a little while, but it was physically painful. Wearing those packs is extremely uncomfortable. We had batteries the size of batteries. They now have batteries the size of earrings. It’s still a really heavy thing to wear, all the time. The special effects in this one are a lot of wind and dirt in your face, and there was a lot of going down and getting back up. I was like, ‘What is this? What am I doing? These are like Bulgarian deadlifts, or a Russian kettlebell, getting up and down with this thing on my back.’ It was very uncomfortable. Usually, when something has a very high misery quotient, something comes of that and some quality is produced that, if you can capture it and project it, comes on the screen and affects you. I think it comes out sometime in the fall. They’ve delayed it for a year or a year and a half, but I’m glad they did. It will be worth seeing.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1168381-bill-murray-on-pain-glory-of-returning-for-ghostbusters-afterlife

Seems very Gremlins-esque.  Why would marshmallows become ghosts here?  The only reason Gozer incarnated as Stay Puft was because Ray thought of it, but what’s the tie to the little marshmallas?  And where’s Holtzmann?!

14 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Seems very Gremlins-esque.  Why would marshmallows become ghosts here?  The only reason Gozer incarnated as Stay Puft was because Ray thought of it, but what’s the tie to the little marshmallas?  And where’s Holtzmann?!

I suppose Gozer liked Ray's vision that much?

• 3 months later...

I quite like the look of this film. It certainly feels more heartfelt than the previous attempt.

BTW, IGN has a feature where Reitman breaks the trailer down.

There's a lot of elements they've scanned and repurposed from the original film and it sounds like they decided to keep the practical, worn feel from the original film. Also, yes: those are Terror Dogs. Maybe not Zuul exactly.

Wonder if the ghouls who didn’t like Ghirlsbusters will be appeased by Kidsbusters.

Im sure it will be fine, but im not very intently committed to a franchise that had a very good first movie and two okay/funny sequels.  I worry for those who want this to be the second coming of their childhood.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

Wonder if the ghouls who didn’t like Ghirlsbusters will be appeased by Kidsbusters.

Im sure it will be fine, but im not very intently committed to a franchise that had a very good first movie and two okay/funny sequels.  I worry for those who want this to be the second coming of their childhood.

I've never even been able to make all the way through GB2. It's awful.

I keep saying that I should watch the new one. Haven't bothered.

This one feels like it has a reason to exist. I can't explain why I feel that way. It feels like it's own movie but with a connection to Ghostbusters. The only thing that had me rolling my eyes a bit was the demon dog. But by that point they had so much good will from me I gave it a pass.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, according to the reactions there, it's actually good. Though we shall have to wait and see. It can hardly be possible to do worse than the last film.

I actually thought Feig's Ghostbusters was pretty funny, and I personally don't know anyone who didn't enjoy it. It can't hold a candle to the original of course, but it was much better than Ghostbusters II.  The hate it got was petty and stupid.

For me, 'hate' is a pretty strong word. I just felt that it was too much a rehash of the first film and despite the four main cast normally working really well with each other, they just came off as unfunny to me in this film. The camoes by old cast members also felt a little insulting, as if specifically designed to rub salt in the wounds of people who had been hoping for a proper send-off for the original cast. It's far from the worst thin in the world of film though. It just could have been much more than it was.

Despite the several steps back Ghostbusters II had with some of its characters, it at least had enjoyable moments for me.

People need to do that sort of thing more often.

It's like when gamers hate buy something so they can whine about it, then they whine about how bad it is...but they supported the thing. 

Sometimes bad press ultimately sells something more than people not getting caught up in the hate. That's what happened with Ghostbusters 2016.