Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Giftheck

Finally watched the trailer. Very meh. But they are clearly purposely holding back tons. I just hope the movie is a comedy, because this trailer is not funny in the slightest, which is a weird way to market a comedy. 

And yea of course they are in Egons house and the girl is his daughter, was that supposed to not be obvious, cause it was obvious to me. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Strange trailer. Looks ultra-serious, like a bad episode of Stranger Things. Where are the adults? The legacy characters?

Ah yes. Because if it's not in the trailer then it won't be in movie.

It's at least an improvement over the female Ghostbusters trailer, but then again, that was perhaps the worst of all time.

But the tone seems wrong. It's not just the kids, rural farm setting and lack of comedy and actual Ghostbusters. I can't quite put my finger on it. Are they sort of playing up the GBs as something more than what they were for us, which is ghost exterminators with wacky personalities and deadpan deliveries? It's more like geeky fans would regard them. Yes, to us they're legends and some of the greatest characters to ever grace our screens, but to the public they'd just be those wacky guys from the papers in NYC in the 80s.

4 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's at least an improvement over the female Ghostbusters trailer, but then again, that was perhaps the worst of all time.

But the tone seems wrong. It's not just the lack of comedy, the kids, rural farm setting and lack of the actual Ghostbusters. I can't quite put my finger on it. Are they kind of playing up the GBs as something more than what they were in the series, which is ghost exterminators with wacky personalities and deadpan deliveries? It's more like geeky fans would regard them. Yes, to us they're legends and some of the greatest characters to ever grace our screens, but to the public they'd just be those wacky guys from the papers.

It's probably a thinly veiled acknowledgment of geek culture's reverence for the original characters. Such a viewpoint might not be quite that "funny", rather sentimental.

I'm actually reminded of the first SPECTRE trailer ... it was pretty low-key and sombre. And then in terms of tone, the film turned out to be Craig's most 'traditional' Bond to date.   

I've never seen Stranger Things, but it definitely has that vibe. Doesn't feel like Ghostbusters at all.

Although my interest could be piqued if they've got a decent composer on board. I like parts of Shapiro's 2016 score.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've never seen Stranger Things, but it definitely has that vibe. Doesn't feel like Ghostbusters at all.

Although my interest could be piqued if they've got a decent composer on board. I like parts of Shapiro's 2016 score.

They'll attempt a Bernstein pastiche.

Seeing them take a simple idea that worked in the originals and just rip it apart and selling it for spare parts is sad. I heard a great idea for what these films should've been about: the future of the Ghostbusters as we knew them in the past - they started a franchise of ghost-busting businesses and seeing the world where the ghosts are contained.

I just can't see how this new film isn't anything other than a cheap hack wherein they've exploited the Stranger Things setup to 'present the Ghostbusters to a whole new generation'. Just drop it already and write something new!

About the score, Reitman's previous indie comedy-drama movies were scored all by Rolfe Kent (except for Juno), until Men, Women and Children, which was scored by Cliff Eidelman, and Tully, which Rob Simonsen scored. 

But considering the substantially "bigger" nature of Afterlife, I don't think he'll go with either Kent, Eidelman or Simonsen, and instead will prefer someone with more experience on adventure movies. If I had to bet in someone, it would be Henry Jackman, who has become RC's go-to composer for family movies (even more than Powell), like the Wreck-It Ralph and Jumanji franchises, Big Hero 6, Detective Pikachu, etc.

Yeah, could be him too, specially considering that he hasn't been announced for no blockbuster for next year, just a weird Seth Rogen comedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Pickle

But I wouldn't be surprised if he is been considered or in talks to a few directors to score some blockbusters... I can easily see him being announced as a composer for Black Widow, The Eternals, Godzilla v Kong, No Time to Die... lol

I'll preface this by saying that I liked the remake a lot, own it, liked it better than "canon" GB2, etc.  I also think a lot - certainly not all - of the criticism levied at the movie came from the type of people he described.  But if the trailer and press release are any indication of the movie as a whole, this isn't the movie those guys wanted (beyond being in the same universe, the leads are non-returning characters and the tone is a sincere nostalgia trip a'la Super 8 or Stranger Things). 

I also don't really get the reverence people give to Ghostbusters - maybe it's having grown up with both movies, with only passive feelings for the original sequel - but I never looked at a remake or sequel of Ghostbusters as some defining cultural moment.  To me, a Ghostbusters sequel is like a Caddyshack sequel or a Fletch sequel.  I have an expectation that it will be tied to a specific '80s movie, but no expectation that it will be great.

I love that trailer. Looks very promising! (I haven't bothered with the female reboot movie from a couple of years ago, and never will). Perfectly updated while keeping a relatively light tone. Looking forward to the original cast member appearances in the next trailer (presumably), like everyone else.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I'll preface this by saying that I liked the remake a lot, own it, liked it better than "canon" GB2, etc.

I like GB2 the most of the lot, but I also liked the female remake. It wasn't brilliant, but wasn't terrible - I've seen it twice, the second being the time that I noticed the score.

6 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Y'all like female Ghostbusters? You must be insane.

I liked whatever wild and weird movie Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth thought they were in. Leslie Jones was also pretty good. But sadly the two “main” characters played by Wiig and McCarthy were terrible, and the movie was mostly in “their” world.

Yavar

22 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Ah yes. Because if it's not in the trailer then it won't be in movie.

You can hold back stuff but it's just weird how ultra-serious and dark this trailer makes the film look. It doesn't seem fun or comedic at all, which can be conveyed while withholding things.

If that's the tone of the movie, well, fine, but it's akin to taking something fun and light-hearted like Superman and rebooting it as a violent, gritty origin story where everyone's miserable and depressed the whole time. 

...oh.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

I also don't really get the reverence people give to Ghostbusters - maybe it's having grown up with both movies, with only passive feelings for the original sequel - but I never looked at a remake or sequel of Ghostbusters as some defining cultural moment.  To me, a Ghostbusters sequel is like a Caddyshack sequel or a Fletch sequel.  I have an expectation that it will be tied to a specific '80s movie, but no expectation that it will be great.

This!

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Some people are furious with the trailer:

What's more regressive - remaking a popular film with a gimmicky gender-bender, or remaking the same popular film again, AGAIN?

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

You can hold back stuff but it's just weird how ultra-serious and dark this trailer makes the film look. It doesn't seem fun or comedic at all, which can be conveyed while withholding things.

If that's the tone of the movie, well, fine, but it's akin to taking something fun and light-hearted like Superman and rebooting it as a violent, gritty origin story where everyone's miserable and depressed the whole time. 

...oh.

I wouldn't say that it's as drastic of a tone shift as Man of Steel was for Superman, but it certainly does look to take itself a bit more seriously. Honestly, I'm okay with that. But I would not call this ultra-serious or dark based on this trailer. I'd imagine firstly that we're only seeing the first half hour or so of plot in this trailer. So i'm sure there's plenty more time to account for a more comedic or light-hearted tone. It may not have one, but it's really hard to tell at this point. I'd argue though that this trailer already have some moments of light-heartedness / goofiness. You've got Paul Rudd's character geeking out over the old ghost trap. I also thought the gunner seat bit was pretty goofy and fun. 

All this is coming from someone though who doesn't care if they change Ghostbusters. Personally, I'd rather them go another direction than trying and failing to recapture the original. That won't happen. So tell a new story in your own way, while keeping it in Universe. Nothing wrong with that. The original cast will make appearances and that'll be nice, but I think the time has far come and gone for a proper sequel with the original four in the way that everyone wants. The originals are still around for that kind of movie.

Hollywood really should focus more on coming up with the next big original idea than all these reboots and sequels though. They will always be split nowadays. If you try to be like the originals, then people will say it's a rehash or unoriginal or that it's just not the same anymore. If you try to change the IP too much...well you get the idea.

Personally, I think it looks fine.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

What's more regressive - remaking a popular film with a gimmicky gender-bender, or remaking the same popular film again, AGAIN?

Oh please. This is clearly not the movie the fanboys wanted. That movie will never truly be made. They won't be happy with this one either I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Yeah, who wants a sequel to beloved iconic movies with the beloved characters returning. Let's just recast them with unfunny women. That's what everyone wants.

Only sissy males and fat women on Twitter.

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Y'all like female Ghostbusters? You must be insane.

You know, I'm lukewarm with it personally. The whole time it was coming out, I never had a single problem with it. They were trying to reboot Ghostbusters but with today's comedians and a flipped gender. Sounds fine to me. Honestly it would've been fine had it not been poorly written. I didn't have an issue with the cast or the concept, but the story and half the jokes just did not land. 

Again, I'm not a mega Ghostbusters fan though. I enjoyed them, but that's about it. I had a decent time at the screening of the 2016 one as well. I'm sure I'll have a fine time at the new one too. Meh. 

5 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Oh please. This is clearly not the movie the fanboys wanted. That movie will never truly be made. They won't be happy with this one either I'm sure.

It might be enough of a compromise to wipe out that Paul Feig monstrosity.

Ghostbusters (2016), now referred to as Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, was indeed horribly written, but I think the writer is sexy.

What we need is the second trailer that will finally reveal the OG GBs in the suits and Venkman saying an instantly iconic line that will be memed. They're obviously holding on very tightly to that stuff. We haven't even seen any of the original cast aside from clips of the first movie despite confirmation of their involvement. That is, of course, the main selling point for me. I also only saw The Force Awakens to see the original characters as old farts, not those new kids.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

Exactly, I want these remakes and reboots to fuck off. The idea of them is regressive because instead of moving forward, we're always tethered to the past and driven by nostalgia. 

They're not going to stop capitalizing on existing properties. Sony really fucked the dog by not only never making a Ghostbusters III while Harold Ramis was alive and forcing Bill Murray's hand (according to the leaked emails, they were going to sue him if he didn't appear in the 2016 movie), but by delivering a reboot absolutely no one wanted.

This is damage control and it IS something that people want. Ghostbusters is too iconic and beloved to just sit on the property and do horrible, horrible reboots. It's odd that Sony DOES seem to sit on the GB franchise. It took fucking forever for them to do another one (constant rumors since the early 2000s on the internet--it's been maddening), which was always a no-brainer. I don't know who greenlit the 2016 movie or how they could possibly think it was a good idea, but they're obviously moving on and trying to do a Force Awakens-style continuation of the series.

I just want to see Bill Murray in the suit. It will be heartwarming and you know it.

You could argue Ghostbusters III did happen while Ramis was alive, and it got all the cast (bar Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis) back together. Just... not in film form.

Just now, Þekþiþm said:

The PS3 game was okay. Not great.

I have the remastered version on Switch. It's definitely dated now but it was fine back then. Tied 1 and 2 together nicely, I think, but it wasn't anything profound, no.

8 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Why did they have the Vigo painting in their office and why was it friendly?

Probably took it with them to keep an eye on it. It was hardly 'friendly', but with the power it got from the slime gone, it was reduced to just hurling insults.

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I thought the Vigo painting changed to a painting of the Ghostbusters.

It changed back.

Continuity!

13 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Probably took it with them to keep an eye on it. It was hardly 'friendly', but with the power it got from the slime gone, it was reduced to just hurling insults.

I can't even remember what it said.