Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Giftheck

On 8/25/2021 at 2:52 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

I actually thought Feig's Ghostbusters was pretty funny, and I personally don't know anyone who didn't enjoy it. It can't hold a candle to the original of course, but it was much better than Ghostbusters II.  The hate it got was petty and stupid.

My wife and I both enjoyed Feig's Ghostbusters well enough, but it had some really weak elements that fell flat, like the two main characters (played by Wiig and McCarthy) and their relationship. I expected much better after the absolute hilarious (and unexpected) delight that was Feig's SPY.

I want to see the Ghostbusters movie that Kate McKinnon thought she was in, because that movie looks absolutely BONKERS and fun as hell. Her character stole every fucking scene, but alas was not the focus of the movie and instead it was Wiig/McCarthy who I couldn't care less about. Leslie Jones was pretty good but totally underused (just like Ernie Hudson in the original), and Chris Hemsworth obviously had a TON of fun playing a ditzy guy, and his enthusiasm and charisma in the role had me go along for the ride with him too.

But yeah, mainly Kate McKinnon was 75% of the entertainment value in Feig's Ghostbusters, IMO. A film that didn't deserve the level of hate and backlash it received, but also still a disappointment.

Yavar

I really thought that movies was horrendous Being unfunny is its biggest scene. And the type of humor they tried to do was completely wrong for the franchise

• 3 weeks later...

Still seems strange to me after 3 Ghostbusters films set very specifically in NEW YORK CITY they made this one set in the exact opposite

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final trailer

I quite like that they're only teasing the OG Ghostbusters instead of just full-out showing us. It's less than a couple of weeks away anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

7 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Final trailer

I quite like that they're only teasing the OG Ghostbusters instead of just full-out showing us. It's less than a couple of weeks away anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm genuinely looking forward to this.

I think in isolation it’s funny, but does also seem a bit dumb that the Stay Puft guys and the big effing dog beasts (who were both specific to the circumstances of the first movie and also not, like, sucked into a trap to be released 30 years later) would appear in this movie.  Another contributor to the “Remember the old movies!!!!?” vibes.

That first one ("Lab Partners") reminds me of something you'd hear in a comedy score of the 60s or 70s.  Kinda refreshingly old-fashioned.

I like the second one too!  I had zero expectations for this score (I've never heard anything from Simonsen) but I think I might be into it!

Isn’t the first one just Bernstein’s original Ghostbusters theme with a bit punchier piano and some noodling around?  The first half of the second also sounds somewhat referential to Bernstein’s score although I can’t place a specific cue.  The second half of the second track is really nice - doing it’s own thing and glancing at Bernstein’s original instrumentation 

19 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Isn’t the first one just Bernstein’s original Ghostbusters theme with a bit punchier piano and some noodling around?  The first half of the second also sounds somewhat referential to Bernstein’s score although I can’t place a specific cue.  The second half of the second track is really nice - doing it’s own thing and glancing at Bernstein’s original instrumentation 

Yeah for some reason I wasn’t expecting this score to be so reverential.  Obviously I should have given this seems like it’s TFA but for Ghostbusters.

Somehow his updates to the theme in the first track make it sound more 60s than 80s to me.  It’s a choice I like.

Okay, I saw the film today. No spoilers, but I really liked it. I feared it would just 'The Force Awakens' the story of the first, and while I can sort of see it, the way it's set up takes it out of that territory for me. There is one part I'm in two minds over. Without spoiling, I'll just say you'll know it when you see it.

The thing I like most is that this film doesn't sequel-bait. They resolve the main conflict, it's done, there's nothing to set up more. Even the mid-credits scene is just a funny little thing. It sets nothing up.

I will say that it definitely contradicts the video game. So you can either take the Ghostbusters game as the conclusion, or Afterlife as the conclusion. Personally, I'm good with both.

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

Okay, I saw the film today. No spoilers, but I really liked it. I feared it would just 'The Force Awakens' the story of the first, and while I can sort of see it, the way it's set up takes it out of that territory for me. There is one part I'm in two minds over. Without spoiling, I'll just say you'll know it when you see it.

The thing I like most is that this film doesn't sequel-bait. They resolve the main conflict, it's done, there's nothing to set up more. Even the mid-credits scene is just a funny little thing. It sets nothing up.

I will say that it definitely contradicts the video game. So you can either take the Ghostbusters game as the conclusion, or Afterlife as the conclusion. Personally, I'm good with both.

Not sure if you'd like this. But there is another end credits scene

I didn't know that. However, I did look a description up... I would say that it's 'extra'. It doesn't take away from the closure the film had, at least for me.

I though the film was terrific!

Very funny. Special effects were outstanding. And the cast were very good.

I also felt sometimes that it looked and felt like a early Spielberg film. In a very good way. 

Rob Simonsen's score was so much better than i thought it would be. I only heard one score of his and that was very different than this one.

It's probably one of my favorite scores of the year.

I worried that it was going to copy Bernstein's score too much. But it actually balances using that material with new material quite well, I think!

Thinking about the ending, truthfully, I'm leaning more towards being okay with it.

A thing I thought was actually quite funny in execution:

Spoiler

After the OG Ghostbusters turn up, Gozer says 'are you a God?' to Ray. There's a brief pause where you - and Peter and Winston - think he's going to make the same mistake as last time and say 'no' again, and then he says 'yes'. Winston chimes in 'yes, we're all Gods'.

Spoiler

Also, rip Ivo Shandor. No, I mean rip. Gozer ripped him in two.

I thought it was a little too reverential and played it a bit too safe to avoid angering the diehard Ghostbusters fans that had their knives out for the 2016 film. But enjoyable.

Jason Reitman put his heart into it and it feels like a natural progression from his father's two films. And it doesn't feel cynical or ham-fisted in its comedy (thank God Rick Moranis didn't show up). 

Rob Simonsen's score is also equally reverential. Not only does he use Elmer Bernstein's material but channels Williams, Silvestri and Horner in the grand 1980s tradition. Simonsen even managed to get Cynthia Millar back for the ondes martenot solos.

7 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I thought it was a little too reverential and played it a bit too safe to avoid angering the diehard Ghostbusters fans that had their knives out for the 2016 film. But enjoyable.

Jason Reitman put his heart into it and it feels like a natural progression from the his father's two films. And it doesn't feel cynical or ham-fisted in its comedy (thank God Rick Moranis didn't show up). 

Rob Simonsen's score is also equally reverential. Not only does he use Elmer Bernstein's material but channels Williams, Silvestri and Horner in the grand 1980s tradition. Simonsen even managed to get Cynthia Millar back for the ondes martenot solos.

Agreed, for me it definitely leaned to much on the original in what seemed to be playing it safe but not quite Force Awakens (something I was worried about). But what it did in expanding the lore was interesting and creative.

The humour was in keeping with the originals but perhaps had more laughs per minute (not necessarily a bad thing).

The score definitely shines when it's not lifting  wholesale from Bernsteins original, the tracks that play with his original theme's where more interesting to hear, although I felt it leaned to heavy on copy and pasting tracks from the original which always took me out of the film. And those that are original do capture that feeling of a score from that era brilliantly.

Honestly overall I liked it, there are small parts I didn't, but those are personal grips, this is probably the best Ghostbusters sequel film there's been so far and with an after credits sequel tease I'm very much looking forward to where this goes next.

Listening to it and enjoying. 

The main basis of the score are the Berstein themes, but in some of the action tracks it seems like a Predator ghost will enter in the movie. Probably lots of Silvestri temp tracking.

Just now, danbeck said:

in some of the action tracks it seems like a Predator ghost will enter in the movie

LOL ok I gotta check this out on Spotify now

Looking through some stuff for the Wikipedia article I put together for the soundtrack CD, and it's no wonder that Simonsen did good with this score. Simonsen got Peter Bernstein in as the score consultant. Also, Cynthia Millar, who played the ondes Martenot in the 1984 score, plays the ondes Martenot for Afterlife too!

This is probably my favourite track to incorporate Bernstein's material in the score, it just fits together surprisingly well.

The sort of balance Simonsen found with this score, I think, should make Michael Giacchino green with envy. And I say that as a fan of Michael Giacchino.

7 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Looking through some stuff for the Wikipedia article I put together for the soundtrack CD, and it's no wonder that Simonsen did good with this score. Simonsen got Peter Bernstein in as the score consultant. Also, Cynthia Millar, who played the ondes Martenot in the 1984 score, plays the ondes Martenot for Afterlife too!

This is probably my favourite track to incorporate Bernstein's material in the score, it just fits together surprisingly well.

The sort of balance Simonsen found with this score, I think, should make Michael Giacchino green with envy. And I say that as a fan of Michael Giacchino.

The Gozer theme is such a great theme. Left quite an impression on me when I was a kid

2 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Are there any Edelman quotes from GB2 in there?

I didn't hear any GBII quotes.  Although my mind was immediately taken to the exact scene where every GBI quote was used from the first film.  I remember hearing one cue that was referenced that was not on either of the score releases.  For the music alone it was an interesting experience.

Not sure if this interview with Rob Simonson and sound editor Will Files has been shared already. Really informative. A great technical analysis into what makes some of these classic scores of the 80s sound the way they do (other than the obvious reasons;)

Finally saw the film. Really enjoyed it. I could see why it would get passed off as just re-packaging your nostalgia for the original. But when something is made with this much care and craft, it’s hard for me not to be won over by it.

Heavy snowfall prevented me from getting to the GHOSTBUSTERS press screening this morning. Damn! Does anyone know if it's planned to premiere on any streaming service before the year is over (and sorry if it has been mentioned before)?

On 30/11/2021 at 9:43 AM, Thor said:

Heavy snowfall prevented me from getting to the GHOSTBUSTERS press screening this morning. Damn! Does anyone know if it's planned to premiere on any streaming service before the year is over (and sorry if it has been mentioned before)?

No announcement on a streaming release date yet. Probably won't be before the end of the year as Sony's one of the few studio's that are sticking to having a gap between theatrical release and streaming release.