Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Giftheck

Just saw the film tonight and I love it!!! The score is fantastic and I wish more films sounded like this one. 

On 29/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, WampaRat said:

Not sure if this interview with Rob Simonson and sound editor Will Files has been shared already. Really informative. A great technical analysis into what makes some of these classic scores of the 80s sound the way they do (other than the obvious reasons;)

Finally saw the film. Really enjoyed it. I could see why it would get passed off as just re-packaging your nostalgia for the original. But when something is made with this much care and craft, it’s hard for me not to be won over by it.

Yes yes yes! Just listened to this right after I saw the film. A masterclass in the 80's sensibilities of soundscapes, but not only that - a masterclass for film sound in general. Just awesome. If I ever get the chance to direct a film, this is what I want one of them to sound like (if not all of them - I say that small caveat because I wanna do one like Mank or a TCM film someday).

https://letterboxd.com/frankie_w/film/ghostbusters-afterlife/ - here are my thoughts on the film

Who Brought the Dog and Go Go Go make for an interesting comparison between two very similar cues for the original Ghostbusters and Afterlife. I initially thought it was the original recording after seeing it in the theater, so maybe it doesn't matter all too much about how something is recorded when it's placed in the context of a film? Dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

Akroyd's alreading thinking about Ghostbusters 4 through 6. He wants Murray and Hudson back (Hudson I could see, Murray I think is unlikely since it seems he had fun playing Venkman one last time - but it seems clear Murray meant it as one last time)

Also interesting here is that he's suggesting Afterlife is, in his mind, Ghostbusters 3.

Source

• 4 months later...

Still haven’t seen this one.  We pick our next movie out of a big cup of movie names, so it will be sometime in the next 15 or so.  We recently watched the three previous Ghostbusters movies with our kid in the intended order (2016, 1984, 1989) and I don’t have a lot of hope for Afterlife after watching 2, but I’m sure it’ll be at the least fun.

• 1 month later...

Finally watched Kids Ghostbusters with my spouse and kid this weekend.  It was okay, although I’d say it’s my least favorite of the four.  I really liked the young actress, and overall I think all the kids were fairly strong.  Paul Rudd had a few characteristically charming and goofy moments.  Once it started reliving the hits of the first movie, it pretty much lost me and I think the “in the flesh” manifestation of Harold Ramis was pretty crass.  Felt like they were trying very hard to diddle my nostalgia button and failing, but if you’re the type of fan they were attempting to service I bet it was heavenly for you.  Certainly filmmakers have succeeded in getting me with similar tactics in the past 10 years, from IPs I have more affinity for.

I found the (rerecording?) (needledropping?) of large swaths of Bernstein’s score a bit jarring in context, but the reconceptualization of Bernstein’s themes, especially later on, seemed pretty neat on its face though.  I do look forward to listening to the album when it comes later this week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The film remains untitled, but is expected to begin filming in the spring, with Ernie Hudson on the list as returning for sure. The description thus far reads:

The last time we saw Ecto-1, it was driving back into Manhattan: the home of the Ghostbusters. That's where our story begins.

SOURCE

• 2 weeks later...

Simonsen's score was good - very Bernstein obviously but also Goldsmith-inspired in some of the action-y stuff. Definitely much better than Edelman's score for II which probably grew in fan estimation due to its inaccessible unreleased status. Compared to a lot of the synth nonsense Edelman wrote since 1989, Ghostbusters II is not too bad as it's actually good to hear an orchestra and not the 80s midi programming that comprises his 90s scoring. It is not great by any means as the mickey mousing and the general banality of his theme composition take over, but at least there is a solid fanfare and all. Bring on Simonsen for 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I mostly liked Afterlife.

Spoiler

Once the film got to the WalMart scene, it kind of broke the immersion for me and then the third act was a heavy retread of the original.  Once the actual OG cast showed up, it finally felt like the movie got back on track.

I can't help but think there's a lot of missed potential in the Ivo Shandor character.  Instead of bringing Gozer back, why not parallel Egon and Ivo Shandor -- both mad scientist types, two sides of the same coin kind of thing?  It would have made more sense to have him as the villain.

But unlike other legacy sequels, I legitimately like the new cast.