What's your app of choice for listening to music on your ANDROID phone?

Jurassic Shark

I used Poweramp for a while, but eventually switched to VLC, although I don't like the look of the interface - the construction cone thing looks like poop.

8 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The cone icon is what it is. I think it's ugly, but VLC is all about functionality, not looks.

This. VLC may look a bit ugly but it will handle just about anything you throw at it.

PowerDVD is the opposite - it looks very funky but last time I tried it was unstable as hell. There's a middle ground where a program can be simple but well designed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I now use QMusic in order to stream music from my home NAS server to my phone. As long as I'm on Wi-Fi, goodbye streaming YouTube or trying to limit myself to 250 gigs on my Classic. And it doesn't matter that FLAC and mp3 are in the same folder if you sort by filename. 

14 hours ago, woj said:

I now use QMusic in order to stream music from my home NAS server to my phone. 

Oooh that sounds interesting, I'm gonna check that out.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oooh that sounds interesting, I'm gonna check that out.

I can share specs of what I bought. It's been expensive so far, but I am future proofing and building a cloud server for me and my family. 

Next step is upgrading from 802.11an to 802.11ax hardware with cat8 cables. 

I meant the app, I have a NAS (well, a full server) in the house, I just never stream anything on it to my phone, but have always wanted to look into it.  I use Plex for video, but its not the best for audio and wanted a different solution for my music library.

It's great! Once you understand the basics of all the settings you're sorted. Best of all it still works on my Blackberry 10 OS phones which I now use exclusively for media. My 1st gen Z10 with it's Wolfson DAC has incredible sound quality through decent headphones.

• 2 months later...

I am using One Plus 7 and my choice is spotify app and if i using an iPhone then my choice is Apple music iTunes and spotify.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Checking out Poweramp.

Pretty freaky how it was able to divine accurate cover art from year, artist and title abbreviations ("HP(III)atPoA")

1 hour ago, schultz.kevin1972 said:

Musicolet has been the one for me. 

I just tried it. Briefly. Pro: It did scan my library stupid fast. Con: It's not great at my two central needs. 1) I need to be able to go into Genre (Rock, Soundtrack, Star Wars) and then Album and 2) I need to be able to do it while driving.

OTOH, I'm always looking for a better player.

I'm really looking for a local player that can understand "Play album Star Trek The Motion Picture" and be able to figure out that I want to play "ST am1b Star Trek: The Motion Picture (LLL)". And not try to go to a cloud player when I do it.

Yes, the big thing I am disappointed in with Musicolet is no "while driving" setting or option. Granted, I usually just use Android Auto but it would be nice to have the option. 

As for (I'm assuming you mean) voice control, you got me there. No clue, sorry.

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Still happy with Foobar2000!

I don't think any other player can play so "natively" a FLAC.

Change my mind!

The person that pointed me to Poweramp used it because he played big lossless files.

How customizable is the Foobar app? I know the desktop app was so customizable it was almost paralyzing.

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

How customizable is the Foobar app? I know the desktop app was so customizable it was almost paralyzing.

I think it have all you need.

Screenshot_20221026-161925_foobar2000.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-161940_foobar2000.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-162153_foobar2000.jpg

Holy shoot, that can downshift stereo to mono?? 

Poweramp and PlexAmp can't do that. I listen at work with one ear piece in my ear, while the other ear listens for customers. 

I might need to use the Quebecois option. 

I remember that in my father's things I found a mono earphone many many years ago.

That's so 80's.

I rewatched Poltergeist yesterday, and the older daughter listen to radio with one of these things.

That's horrible!

The Original White Earbud, Over 40 Years Old | WIRED