Slatkin and The Detroit Symphony Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra dropping on Feb 8, JW's birthday (Dennis Nulty, Tuba)

lairdo

All this releases come from live performances. Besides the ones already out and the upcoming Tuba Concerto, both the Flute and the Trumpet concerts have been performed and recorded. Hopefully, more will follow.

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Patiently waiting for clarinet and viola concertos  

For the clarinet, what do you think of the recording currently out there from 1991 (with Michele Zukovsky).

Agreed on the viola for sure. There is the viola and piano version out there, but I am not sure of one with full orchestra.

4 minutes ago, lairdo said:

For the clarinet, what do you think of the recording currently out there from 1991 (with Michele Zukovsky).

Agreed on the viola for sure. There is the viola and piano version out there, but I am not sure of one with full orchestra.

I seem to recall someone saying the MZ recording is actually a bootleg?

46 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

I seem to recall someone saying the MZ recording is actually a bootleg?

I think it is legit for the digital release. It's in Amazon Music and Apple Music for sale (and other places). Not sure that confirms a legitimacy or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Clarinet-Concerto-Michele-Zukovsky/dp/B004HQTBIK

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/john-williams-clarinet-concerto/412737019

11 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Great, but again a concerto where there are already good recordings available. Patiently waiting for clarinet and viola concertos (and Scherzo for piano and orchestra). 

You said it. Among several other unreleased JW concert works.

The Zukowsky/clarinet concerto "release" on mp3.com (where it first originated) has dubious circumstances, to say the least. No proper recording of it exists. Somebody needs to get their act together and do it!

I guess it's less attractive to record a clarinet concerto (since there are so many of them) than a tuba concerto, which is more rare -- and very tempting for tubaists around the world. It's also arguably his most accesible, longer concert work.

• 3 weeks later...