John Williams at Gustavo Dudamel's induction into the Hollywood Walk of Fame

DJan

1 hour ago, DJan said:

John Williams speaking at Dudamel's Walk of Fame ceremony right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DWED8QE0A

Wow, Williams sitting right next to Dudamel.

And Helen Hunt right next to Williams! What happened to her, anyway? Certainly wouldn't have guessed she was close mates with Gustavo.

John looking pretty good though. Noticed his voice is a little bit more coarse than when I last heard him.

50 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And Helen Hunt right next to Williams! What happened to her, anyway? Certainly wouldn't have guessed she was close mates with Gustavo.

And the two "Chris"'s behind Gustavo:  Martin and Waltz.

46 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Jurassic Shark I think a celebrity has to pay for their star and it isn't cheap!!

Or their lame ass cheap fan club has to pony the money up.

You have to pay a sponsorship fee of $30,000 for a star.  Half of the money is used to create the star, which is made out of brass and terrazzo - the black and red speckled material.  The other half is given to the Hollywood Historic Trust, who look after the Walk of Fame.

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Jurassic Shark I think a celebrity has to pay for their star and it isn't cheap!!

Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks can't help out!? What the hell.

Not sure how the procedure works exactly, but I bet all of these gentlemen have a star of their own!

If the "honouree" has to pay for their own star it devalues it somewhat, doesn't it?

Do Oscar / GG winners have to buy their statuettes??

Ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think JW is more interested in leaving a different kind of legacy than a bit of pavement, like the support of  educational and performance facilities in LA and that Hollywood respects the musicians as well as the actors, filmmakers etc.

But that's not mutually exclusive! JW could do all those things while having a star as well. 

But yeah, I rather suspect Spielberg and / or Lucas have offered to sponsor a star, but for whatever reason JW declined. Whatever.

15 hours ago, DJan said:

John Williams speaking at Dudamel's Walk of Fame ceremony right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DWED8QE0A

Dudamel conducted a couple of pieces of TFA for John Williams, but that's the extent of their business relationship, right? Or did they have another project where they collaborated?

I'm not sure why Dudamel is so highly regarded by John Williams and everybody else, like Helen Hunt (?). Why would she sponsor a star for him? He may be a good conductor,  but there are many good conductors, after all! 

John Williams looks like Santa Claus! But glad he looks to be doing fine and in good spirits! :)

images (31).jpeg

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's a wunderkind.

Next to JW, he's a little kid with a slight talent for music! 😂 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I couldn't be bothered to see the whole video; just the JW bit. So could anyone explain why Helent Hunt and Christoph Waltz are there?

I asked myself the same question. They don't have any connection with Dudamel or Williams, do they? Why would they attend this, and even more strangely (if it's actually true), why would they sponsor this Walk of Fame Star? 

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

Here's the same photo without the GettyImages watermark so @Jay can use it for his new avatar:

JW2019-15.jpg

Love this pic! 

Looks like John Williams is wielding an invisible lightsaber! The true Last Jedi! :D

:lsvader:

19 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I asked myself the same question. They don't have any connection with Dudamel or Williams, do they?

Waltz has been staging some opera productions lately. Perhaps they do have a professional connection.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Waltz has been staging some opera productions lately. Perhaps they do have a professional connection.

Really!? In Vienna or in London or in Los Angeles?

That man sure gets around!

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

williams looks very good both phisically and specially mentally, which is great at his age :)

Indeed.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Really!? In Vienna or in London or in Los Angeles?

Antwerp, Ghent, and Vienna, at least. No idea if he's any good at it.

12 minutes ago, Damien F said:

"'Ow, my ears!!'. Williams reenacts hearing Dudamel's Star Wars main title for the first time"

But really, it wasn't that bad, was it? 

If it didn't say Dudamel conducted these two pieces, I certainly wouldn't have known!

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Could be.

So what about Helen Hunt?

She starred in AS GOOD AS IT GETS, which also starred Jack Nicholson, who played in both THE MISSOURI BREAKS and THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK, both scored by Williams, who is a friend of Dudamel. Yes, that must be it.

If you listen to her speech, she says she did some narration for the orchestra during his first year and they became friends. It's likely she's also a funding patron for the LAPhil. There has always been a lot of interchange between the Hollywood industry and the LAPhil.

As for the kinship between JW and Dudamel, it doesn't limit to their collaboration on The Force Awakens. Dudamel has been an ardent champion of JW's music since he became the LAPhil principal conductor. He invited JW to guest conduct the Simòn Bolivar Youth Orchestra during their debut tour in LA in 2007 and they became close friends since then.

Not to mention that Dudamel's own (quite excellent) score for THE LIBERATOR has one or two Williams touches baked in.

Thanks for the info on Hunt! I had a kinda crush on her in the TWISTER days.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not to mention that Dudamel's own (quite excellent) score for THE LIBERATOR has one or two Williams touches baked in.

And JW has also praised this score.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in the Hollywood studios, we shall fight on the recording stages and mixing rooms, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the AFM, we shall defend our film scoring industry, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the California beaches, we shall fight on the studio grounds, we shall fight on the sound stages and in the streets, we shall fight in the Hollywood hills; we shall never surrender!

...and we shall fight the Zimmers of this world!

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the info on Hunt! I had a kinda crush on her in the TWISTER days.

So if you manage to get that elusive interview with JW, perhaps you can get him to convince Gustavo to tell Hunt you're interested!