John Powell's CALL OF THE WILD (2020)

PrayodiBA

• 9 months later...

Pretty weird that we still know almost nothing about this, right?  To my knowledge there's been no early promotion of any kind.  No trailer, no poster, no screen shot, nothing.  Coming out in under 4 months.

Makes me wonder if it's either getting delayed or moved to Disney+.

I'm guessing with both Frozen 2 in November and Episode 9 in December, Disney feels there's no reason to begin the hype train until those are out

• 3 weeks later...

That dog had really uncanny valley sindrome...His movements are so "cliched" that it look fake. The technology is not still there for animals. Even the lion king looks off now seeing it on the small screen. In the cinema it looked great but second watching...i dont like it as much.

Interesting to note the Ford is likely older than virtually all of the 100,000 of historical Klondike prospectors were. Prolonged hard physical labour in a harsh subpolar environment, especially while malnourished, is not something people in their late 70s can be expected to do. Even the USSR didn't expect that.

I would say that it is a positive sign of a lack of ageism in role-playing, if we didn't all know the real reason for this casting choice - which is, ironically, a gold rush.

Saw this comment on the YouTube video and thought it captured my feelings pretty well:

This is a story about nature and The CGI makes it looks soulless and sterile. Nothing looks real in it.

I think we're dealing with the consequences of advancing CGI making leaps every few years and films like these are the stragglers that come in late with CGI that's already outdated. There's something about real animals you can't capture in this CG form which is so jarring that I couldn't follow the trailer because nothing, not even Harrison Ford, looked real.

It’s a classic YA novel, back from when YA novels were a lot more literate and, God forbid, they actually taught you about the real world. I hope this film does it justice, CGI or not. As long as it stays true to the allegorical themes of London’s book, I would frankly sooner enjoy seeing this movie succeed more than almost any of the overproduced Marvel pap coming our way. (Not that it will remotely ever achieve such a thing, but a man can dream.)

Not defending what looks like a relatively disturbing film, but the CGI's unlikely to be finished with a release four months from now, so little point arguing about that (though one could ask why would they release material with unfinished effects, hey-ho). Powell score is likely to be epic if he can stay away from some of those cutesy mickey-mousing flirtations he is too fond of.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Isn't getting a 'Produced by' and an 'Additional Music by' credit code for 'Co-composed by'? I've read that a few times.

As far as I know, Additional Music By means what it means, like, the main composer did the heavier job and the minions did smaller stuff.

Produced by I have no idea what it is, or what it means to "produce" a film score. Is this an actual thing? Who was the producer on Williams' scores, Bill Ross?