John Powell's CALL OF THE WILD (2020)

PrayodiBA

I can't remember when I heard it, must have been a few years ago now, but there was this interview where I'm pretty John Powell said something like "I don't like to conduct."

Kind of sounds like typical Powell action really. I'm not getting that feeling I did when I heard Hidden World for the first time. It does feel like the right sort of project for him, but depends whether it's inspired him to come up with something truly new.

But you know, never judge a score by 60 seconds buried under sfx.

Also, those are some distractingly dodgy CG dogs.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Kind of sounds like typical Powell action really. I'm not getting that feeling I did when I heard Hidden World for the first time. It does feel like the right sort of project for him, but depends whether it's inspired him to come up with something truly new.

But you know, never judge a score by 60 seconds buried under sfx.

Also, those are some distractingly dodgy CG dogs.

They are. I feel like it was a bit too early to attempt a movie like this. We haven't quite gotten to the point that we can make full CGI dogs look real. TBH, if the whole movie was CG it would probably feel less distracting. I mean, the whole movie basically is CG anyway, but...you know.

The movie seems dreadful, although I hate this subgenre of "dog and his owner" movies. The CGI doggos are very off putting, but I applaud the movie on the decision of using only digital animals and therefore not endangering any real dog.

As for the score, it doesn't appear to have the brilliance of the Dragon scores, but seems like a fun score anyway. Bring it on!

If this wasn't another anthropomorphic children's film, I'd be completely disgusted that Disney, with their monied army of CG artists and effects companies, would put this out there as anything other than a borderline experimental film.

Here's the rub, filmmakers: If the CGI can't convincingly portray whatever it is you're trying to show, DON'T do it. 

If they'd made this a fully animated feature, the dog's uncharacteristic motions might've come across as somewhat charming.

They should have asked Dreamworks (there's the Powell connection) for some help; a "How to Train Your CG Artist" course.

" Actor and stunt coordinator Terry Notary stood-in for the CGI creation of Buck " oh god because that makes it so much simpler right?

" The movie was not shot on location, extensive use was made of CGI. Some of it was also shot on sets in Los Angeles and some exteriors in Santa Clarita, California " because how else would you do a story about nature. :banghead:

Well, at least we get a Powell score out of it. Otherwise it should have been made in the 90s after Homeward Bound. Broughton would've done well too!

So we can't even call this a Fox movie anymore. Despite the "20th Century Studios" rebranding, everyone still calls it a Disney movie. They may as well have abandonded the "20th Century -----" branding altogether if that's where we are.

The film looks dreadful from the trailer (I'll easily skip this), but the score is promising. However, I do wish Powell did more 'serious' adult film fare.

45 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Well I do! When I was a kid, Fox was the big boss studio everyone else wanted to be but couldn't because they sucked.

At this point, my philosophy is to trust in artists and not studios and corporations. 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

They should have asked Dreamworks (there's the Powell connection) for some help; a "How to Train Your CG Artist" course.

" Actor and stunt coordinator Terry Notary stood-in for the CGI creation of Buck " oh god because that makes it so much simpler right?

" The movie was not shot on location, extensive use was made of CGI. Some of it was also shot on sets in Los Angeles and some exteriors in Santa Clarita, California " because how else would you do a story about nature. :banghead:

Well, at least we get a Powell score out of it. Otherwise it should have been made in the 90s after Homeward Bound. Broughton would've done well too!

Yep, either this should have been made in the 90s when they'd have actually travelled to somewhere snowy, and some dog handler would receive top billing for making the dogs 'act'.

... or just do the whole movie in CGI. I'd prefer this option,

There was some serious Shrek 4 “Rumpelstiltskin” vibes in that track. 

Someone solve a mystery for me: who contributed more to Chicken Run & Shrek? HGW or JP?

Apparently there was some backlash to the music (I have no clue why, it sounds like Powell's style) to which he responded with a lengthy post. I just don't understand how the music of all things is what people are calling out!

53 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Apparently there was some backlash to the music (I have no clue why, it sounds like Powell's style) to which he responded with a lengthy post. I just don't understand how the music of all things is what people are calling out!

Not really backlash. I read the comments in his last Instagram post, it’s just some weird guy complaining that the movie itself is unoriginal (nothing to do with the score). And then l read Powell’s “statement”, it’s a silly story where he talks about music becoming sentient. Strange, but not what it seems.

I think it's more about the derivative nature of this movie, by virtue of being the 80th variation on Jack London's story. He doesn't really talk about music but probably would be the first to admit that machine-tooled Hollywood movies are not the first place to look for innovations.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, publicist said:

It can mean anything on any given project, really. In this case it's a nice way to get the name of the guy on a few covers and into a few databases.

More or less, this. Balfe’s producer credit on Sherlock Holmes was a big boost for his career at the time. 

According to the bootleg, Lorne did a few cues on the first Sherlock: 3m19-20-21S Blackwood Resurrection - Street Source, 6m42A Holmes Smokes Coward and 7m46B End Titles Pt. 1.

But I'm pretty sure he did more than just write these three cues.

The music in that clip reminds me of Bolt a little.

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

Very much Powell in his HTTYD mode (one theme in a couple of cues almost seem like straight lifts).

That's not good... sounds like they likely temped the film with HTTYD cues.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

The music in that clip reminds me of Bolt a little.

That's not good... sounds like they likely temped the film with HTTYD cues.

Both are a very good thing in my book, cant wait!

I second to someone who once said here that he missed the "old" sound of Powell, fun and not too serious ( Bolt, Ice Age, Robots, HAncock, anything pre 2010 scores).

Hearing his score again, i did appreciate ( expecially in this age) that in Solo or HTTYD 3 ( or any recent work), he really tried his best to be inspired by classical music.

As if he created the score for the sake of the music itself. 

But to honest, if i throwback and hear it again, i get the feeling that the music seems "heavy" (?) ,and at some point, it becomes tiresome somehow

So if he indeed does emulate his Bolt into this, then i will be more than happy

As long as it isn’t as blatant as David Arnold reusing one of his Godzilla themes for his Narnia movie (Reepicheep’s theme was a cut & paste). 

To be fair though, I wasn’t too upset or annoyed about it because it is a fantastic theme. 

And yeah, that’s right - I remembered the fucking mouse’s name from that movie.