John Powell's CALL OF THE WILD (2020)

PrayodiBA

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

The Intrada 'press-release-style' album descriptions are always written in such strange English. I often struggle to read them without preiodically stopping and thinking "is that gramatically correct?". It usually always is, but it's as if they've elected to leave out any words that aren't 100% essential, resulting in a very strange flow.

That's Doug's style of writing, on the product pages -- it's kinda "headline style" I guess. Roger writes the press release posted on their forum, which are in much more normal prose.

Yavar

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The Intrada 'press-release-style' album descriptions are always written in such strange English. I often struggle to read them without preiodically stopping and thinking "is that gramatically correct?". It usually always is, but it's as if they've elected to leave out any words that aren't 100% essential, resulting in a very strange flow.

Yes.  I don't understand why Doug decided to adopt that writing style for his store page descriptions.  I much prefer Roger's write-ups in the forum.

It's weird. They come across as if they've been written by someone who speaks English as a second language. I know it's not indended, but I often don't read them because they aren't written in a 'natural' way of reading/speaking.

Did anybody on JWFan buy this new physical edition of the OST album, and if so, have you received it yet, and if so, do you have any commentary on the packaging?

Yes, not yet, and therefore, no. The Movie Music Store turned out to be the cheapest place for me to buy it, but they aren't beginning to ship until today I believe. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, that composer note is great

One of the instruments listed is "dog harmonica" - wtf is that?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

One of the instruments listed is "dog harmonica" - wtf is that?

A standard and completely serious name for an instrument - just like "brothel piano" right above it.

I believe Holko was being sarcastic with the "standard and completely serious name" comment, trying to indicate that that part of the liner notes is Powell & co. being silly.

This score has really grown on me. It definitely made the film better and it makes a very nice listening experience on its own as well. And even with this massive ensemble I appreciate the score being bit less overbearing than some of John's other recent works. I do love his stuff but it can be sometimes exhausting. 

Karol

I listen to this more than HTTYD 3, which I originally thought was better, but this is lighter and less demanding. HTTYD is the better score, but it's more overbearing in general, and needs more attention due to its thematic density.

I have no idea whether it makes the film better - I got stupendously bored after 15 mins and gave up.

I didn't care for the film at all but the have been listening to the score a lot throughout the pandemic. I really think it's great and it only gets better over time. There's a growing maturity in his emotional palette that can be heard in this one and other recent scores. 

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

pop music riffs

I'm intrigued by this.  Tell me more?

• 1 year later...

The film was "fine". The scire is really good though. It took me a while to get used to but it's definitely up there with his best work.

Karol