Robert Townson leaving Varese Sarabande (final Club Batch coming March 2019)

crocodile

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

"encore" release?

Yes.  Like:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/a-show-of-force-varese-encore

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/heathers-varese-encore

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/stand-and-deliver-varese-encore

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/the-black-cauldron-encore-edition

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/zelly-and-me-varese-encore

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/the-whales-of-august

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/spies-like-us-varese-encore

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/where-the-river-runs-black

For example.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Does an "expanded" release exclude a score that would typically be an "encore" release?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't understand your question.  Can you reword it?

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They say this batch will include the last Encore title. But I guess that doesn't exclude any old scores from getting the expanded treatment. 

I'm sorry, I still don't understand what you're saying/asking.  He (whoever is controller their Facebook account now) is saying they are dropping the Encore line and then specifically says they are focusing on expansions moving forward.  The Encore line only existed for cases where no additional material to expand could be found or licensed, so any old title that has more material in the vaults that can be licensed can certainly still be expanded.  Not sure if that answers your concerns or not.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Encore line only existed for cases where no additional material to expand could be found or licensed, so any old title that has more material in the vaults that can be licensed can certainly still be expanded.

:up:

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They say this batch will include the last Encore title. But I guess that doesn't exclude any old scores from getting the expanded treatment in the future of the new and updated Varese Sarabande.

Well, Varese released an Encore version of Chinatown and not long after Intrada released the expanded programme.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, Varese released an Encore version of Chinatown and not long after Intrada released the expanded programme.

Karol

It was at least 2-3 years after, and curiously Varese did not label their Chinatown Club reissue an "Encore Edition" (maybe this was before that line began?)

Yavar

Chinatown actually came out in the same batch as their first ENCORE titles:

2012-05-14 David Navarro (Conducter) - Alien: A Biomechanical Symphony (1135 - 3,000)
2012-05-14 Alan Silvestri - Clan Of The Cave Bear (1134 - 1,000) (ENCORE Series) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Elmer Bernstein - Amazing Grace and Chuck (1133 - 1,000) (ENCORE Series) [Fewer than 50 copies as of Dec 2012]
2012-05-14 Miklos Rozsa - Eye Of The Needle (1132 - 1,000) (ENCORE Series) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Bill Conti - The Karate Kid Part III (1131 - 1,000) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Lyn Murray, Leonard Rosenman, Lalo Schifrin, and Benny Carter - The Alfred Hitchcock Hour Volume 3 (1130 - 1,000) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown (1129 - 3,000)

Intrada's edition was almost exactly 4 years later

2016-05-17 Bruce Broughton - Homeward Bound II: Lost In San Francisco (ISC354 - limited)

2016-05-17 Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown (ISC350 - limited)

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Encore is just a reissue of a previous title from the Club release, It could easily be a reissue of Deluxe Edition.

That's true but I think it only happened once where a Deluxe Edition was encored (and given the "Encore Edition" branding): Goldsmith's Runaway. Usually it's been a reissue of the original album, sometimes to people's dismay (folks were recently frustrated that Varese Encored Delerue's A Show of Force rather than expanding it with the missing 14 minutes).

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Chinatown actually came out in the same batch as their first ENCORE titles:

2012-05-14 David Navarro (Conducter) - Alien: A Biomechanical Symphony (1135 - 3,000)
2012-05-14 Alan Silvestri - Clan Of The Cave Bear (1134 - 1,000) (ENCORE Series) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Elmer Bernstein - Amazing Grace and Chuck (1133 - 1,000) (ENCORE Series) [Fewer than 50 copies as of Dec 2012]
2012-05-14 Miklos Rozsa - Eye Of The Needle (1132 - 1,000) (ENCORE Series) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Bill Conti - The Karate Kid Part III (1131 - 1,000) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Lyn Murray, Leonard Rosenman, Lalo Schifrin, and Benny Carter - The Alfred Hitchcock Hour Volume 3 (1130 - 1,000) [SOLD OUT]
2012-05-14 Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown (1129 - 3,000)

Thanks; I do remember now thinking at the time, "Why isn't Chinatown also an 'Encore Edition'?" Perhaps because it was a licensed title rather than a Varese-controlled (originally issued on Varese) one?

It was also inexplicable to me why Varese didn't produce a Deluxe Edition of Eye of the Needle with both their German album recording and the (far superior) Royal Philharmonic film recording.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea I believe Runaway is the only exception

I hope for everyone without a copy that Jerry's amazing score for The 'Burbs is the second exception. ;)

Yavar

27 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That's true but I think it only happened once where a Deluxe Edition was encored (and given the "Encore Edition" branding): Goldsmith's Runaway. Usually it's been a reissue of the original album, sometimes to people's dismay (folks were recently frustrated that Varese Encored Delerue's A Show of Force rather than expanding it with the missing 14 minutes).

That means they will focus on expansions instead of reissues, which is truly awesome news! Hopefully the last Varese Encore is The Burbs for all those poor bastards who don't own a copy, unless they don't label reissues of expansions as Varese Encore.

25 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I hope for everyone without a copy that Jerry's amazing score for The 'Burbs is the second exception. ;)

Agreed, just think of the fact that there are only 5500 people in the world that own a (official) copy of that outstanding comedy score!

:crymore: No doubt, this score has no chance to get more popular, with no digital release and just a handful of CDs. Even if it was just the OST, it just needs a release of any kind. It was the same with Dracula and it is the same with Lionheart.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I sold mine years ago for $30 when MV hinted that they were releasing both scores. It could have been yours!

I sold mine for $85! 

I wanted to move it quick before a potential reissue announcement devalued it completely. Typically I like to recoup my costs plus a small bit of profit. I was able to sell my deluxe edition of The Fury for about $90 before LLL made Varese's edition obsolete.

23 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So what happens to Eiger Sanction and Earthquake if they don't release them in this last batch?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Varese never owned Eiger Sanction and Earthquake in perpetuity so nothing changes whatsoever.  Any label could license them.

Also, it's not really the last batch, is it? The latest announcement clearly says: "We're thrilled to announce our 1st of 3 CD Club batches for 2019!". It's just the last batch Robert Townson has been involved in, I guess.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

10 am PST?! Fuck, I have to wait till the European evening!:angry:

Pour yourself a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, sit out on the veranda and watch the sunset while you wait.

Nice that Townson got to work on Robocop 2 before leaving, but it's a bummer he never got around to Air Force One.  Hopefully the people in charge now will finally prioritize it.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nice that Townson got to work on Robocop 2 before leaving, but it's a bummer he never got around to Air Force One.  Hopefully the people in charge now will finally prioritize it.

Co-produced by Neil too! Pity i hate the score of I would have gotten it