What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

2 hours ago, karelm said:

I really liked this.

Silvestrov is an intriguing composer, I think.  I tend to connect with his style.

My introduction to him was his Symphony No. 5, which I might have shared on here already a couple of years back.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Bob Chilcott's "Wenceslas" oratario/cantata/whatever you wanna call it.  This is the 3rd December in a row that it's been part of my December listening rotation and I'd say it's permanently lodged there now.

I just made this new playlist, 5 albums of Yo-Yo Ma.

Sorry, I put aside all the Silk Road and bluegrass/americana albums... I just CAN'T.

Sorry Yo-Yo :-)

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

True. It's no doubt highly regarded because of the final movement.

I love the 1st and 2nd movements too!

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if he liked a bit of the old in-out, in-out?

I'm currently listening to some random bloke, on BBC Radio 3.

He played Uranus, which, for me, was a tad too fast, but at least the organ cut through, at the climax.

He then moved on to THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, and arrangement of Enjoy The Silence, which turned a great pop song into a kind of Gregorian chant. Mesmerising.

He's now playing something called THE UNANSWERED QUESTION, by Ives. Spooky.

• 4 weeks later...

So I just found out that Dan Brown, who authored the Robert Langdon book series, composes music too! And it's actually not that bad...(keep in mind this was written for children):

Martinu - Violin Concertos, Bamberger Symphony, with Frank Peter Zimmermann as soloist. Forgot how much I really love Martinu and these are really lovely concertos. Not super flashy (like most Martinu) but endlessly enjoyable.

Shchedrin - Carmen Suite and Concertos for Orchestra 1 & 2, Pletnev conducting the Russian National Orchestra. Recommendation from a friend. Not sure I get what Shchedrin was trying to do with the Carmen Suite, but it's an enjoyable orchestral distillation/interpretation of Bizet's opera. The two early concertos for orchestra are fun, although his later, longer ones are more satisfying.

1 hour ago, Loert said:

So I just found out that Dan Brown, who authored the Robert Langdon book series, composes music too! And it's actually not that bad...(keep in mind this was written for children):

Well, it can hardly be much worse than his "literary" writing.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos conducted by Richard Egarr. The only recording I will ever listen to from now on.

I absolutely love his Orchestral Suites, but I don't know his Brandenburg concerti. My actual reference version for them is played by Il Giardino Armonico. Marvelously baroque! Hehe

After my rush of Jerry listening this week, I went back to some of his inspiration and listened to Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin, from the 5 CD Living Presence set, which really does sound amazing for its age (if only so many soundtracks of that vintage had been preserved so magnificently - and that's not a slight on those doing the restorations, just a factor of the recording tech at the time and tape storage options). A friend used to tease me at school as to whether I'd "listened to any Bartok recently" at which time I really hadn't (it was full on JW, James Horner, Jerry, Alan Menken etc.) but since discovered Bartok and now love his work. The Concerto for Orchestra, of course, but also the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste, both of which are masterpieces.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, Disco Stu said:

Wow I can't believe this is a thing that actually happened

And just imagine, Howard Shore was the first music director.  I wonder if he was still music director when Glass was the musical guest.

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

And just imagine, Howard Shore was the first music director.  I wonder if he was still music director when Glass was the musical guest.

Nah he left in 1980 along with so many others.  Mass exodus of people from the show at that time (it's when pretty much all the original cast left except for Chevy Chase who of course quit after 1 season).

• 2 weeks later...