What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

Right. I even think, mostly his tango nuevo pieces of his band have been widely arranged and adapted by classical musicians. Therefore, it is mostly like you say.

But this concerto is to my knowledge an actual arrangement by Piazzolla.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Great choice, absolutely love Bartok. Is this a recommendable performance? I have a number of them, but happy to have more Bartok!

A World Requiem (John Foulds) - Probably a fairly obscure composer, but one whose stuff is well worth seeking out. Having said that, the World Requiem isn't perhaps his most idiomatic work, but a fine secular requiem that stands well as a companion to Britten's War Requiem, even if it's not quite up to the Britten. However, I would more highly recommend Fould's Dynamic Triptych and Three Mantras which are vibrant orchestral works.

Currently on Frank Bridge Orchestral Works (volume 3 from the Chandos series). Not a composer I know well but enjoying exploring. The mini piano concerto Phantasm is especially fine.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Great choice, absolutely love Bartok. Is this a recommendable performance? I have a number of them, but happy to have more Bartok!

I like this one better:

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Loert said:

Love the sequence from 59:42 to 1:05:36! I've listened to it at least 5 times today... :dance:

Interesting - that's not Carmen! At least the second part is L'Arlesienne, but not the familiar suite version, so I suppose it's the original incidental music, and the first part might also be from there?

Here's the suite version for comparison:

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You mean the Kunzel album?

It's very Streamline Moderne, Art Deco. Nothing to do with the 90s.

Huh? I was responding to the back cover art you posted directly before my post.  I wasn't talking about the front cover

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

The POPS AROUND THE WORLD album, is pretty Art Deco, too.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

OMG you actually loved a classical music piece??? 

Oh, yeah. I like a lot of classical music.

Vaughan Williams, Holst, Maw, Rautavara, Holst, Walton, Butterworth, Ives, Orff, Bartók, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Stravinsky; they're all great.

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Handel's concerti grossi conducted by Karajan. Did that guy ever record something that does not sound like the apocalypse is upon the listener? It's all SO LOUD AND BIG!!!!!!

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Handel's concerti grossi conducted by Karajan. Did that guy ever record something that does not sound like the apocalypse is upon the listener? It's all SO LOUD AND BIG!!!!!!

There's a reason why regular symphony orchestras don't often perform baroque repertoire anymore... they're too big for many of the works.

And Karajan wasn't really (at all) concerned with historically informed performances. Plus quite a bit of old music *was* loud and big (within the possibilities at the time), so the choice might just be between Romantically loud & big or historically accurately loud & big.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, yeah. I like a lot of classical music.

Vaughan Williams, Holst, Maw, Rautavara, Holst, Walton, Butterworth, Ives, Orff, ....

Wasn't ORFF a NAZI?😗

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's a reason why regular symphony orchestras don't often perform baroque repertoire anymore... they're too big for many of the works.

That's why we have " chamber orchestras".

😊

On 3/26/2021 at 5:43 AM, Bespin said:

You mean the Kunzel album?

R-4869780-1378019472-6448.jpeg?bucket=di

Bespin and his compilations and pops recordings..

How middle- brow can you get?

😝

TBH JW piece didn't impress me that much.

Should I give it another listen?

I put this on not knowing the program and would have sworn the Hovannes piece was by RVW.

Anyone else.hear similarity?

Screenshot_2021-03-30-21-33-59.png

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You and your HM box!

Expect many more from that. It constitutes about 40% of my entire collection of classical CDs, and probably 15% of my entire classical collection overall (also including files, vinyls etc.).

Today I heard part of Handel's Water Music. I knew this work inside out, I thought, until the Musiciens Du Louvre started performing it , conducted by Mark Minkowski. Never heard it performed so well. This man understands how you make baroque music interesting and actually makes all the repetitions worth your time. Ordering it in a few days.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Today I heard part of Handel's Water Music. I knew this work inside out, I thought, until the Musiciens Du Louvre started performing it , conducted by Mark Minkowski. Never heard it performed so well. This man understands how you make baroque music interesting and actually makes all the repetitions worth your time. Ordering it in a few days.

Minkowski's  recording is indeed good, but to my ears there's several better recordings out there. What do you think about McGegan's Philharmonia recording? Possibly my No. 1 choice. So in control, yet unforced and spontaneous.

I found it to be rather dry. What's mainly drawing me to Minkowski is that he genuinely does interesting stuff with the repetitions. Like, he replaces the completely useless da capo of track 3 with the variation that 90% of people refuse to include in their version for some idiotic reason.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Like, he replaces the completely useless da capo of track 3 with the variation that 90% of people refuse to include in their version for some idiotic reason.

I'll have to check that out. Many of the various sources for Water Music are notoriously unreliable (there's no original manuscript), so that's probably the reason this particular variation is seldom performed.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I found it to be rather dry.

Well, it was conceived to be performed outdoors. ;)

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I never knew that! And I don't understand either. Who wrote the published sets then, based on what?

I can't remember the details, but found this interesting article online.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/738700?seq=1