What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

ab67616d0000b2735a58f9c59f27ba426e612587

Max Richter's VOICES 2. Damn, he works quickly. I haven't even properly explored and familiarized myself with the first VOICES album from last year yet, and here's another already. More of the same, though. Haunting, static textures. For the first VOICES, I removed the vocal version and kept the instrumental version only. Famous Norwegian violinist Mari Samuelsen is featured as soloist.

I've been disappointed with most stuff I've heard after discovering him with Vivaldi Recomposed. 

I recently purchased his piano book, and I find the pieces surprisingly unoriginal and underdeveloped.

631742_detail-00.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There also a lot that I haven't checked out. I wouldn't mind listening to a best-of playlist from you, or better, a CelluloidTunes episode. :)

I've thought about it, but I have this "rule" that I don't do composer specials on living composers, just in case I get to interview them at some point (hence avoiding doing two episodes - as happened with Elfman and Silvestri). Unless interviews are extremely unlikely - such as Vangelis. I still hope to be able to interview Richter.

On to...

R-3186328-1319625155.jpeg.jpg

I live and breathe pastoral music of this kind. RVW remains among my top 3 of classical composers, and "Thomas Tallis" one of my alltime favourite pieces.

Jerome Moross' "Sonata for Piano Duet and String Quartet," written in 1975, is one of the most bright, buoyant, and refreshing works I've ever heard.  It's been among the pieces I frequently play for a couple of years now, and it feels especially appropriate with the coming of the warm weather, as it feels like the sun on my face.

43 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Over the w/e, I listened to SYMPHONY #2 TO OCTOBER, by Dimitri Shostakovich.

Fuck me!!! He wrote this when he was 21 years old.

21 years old!!!!!

Wasn’t the first symphony his graduation piece? Or am I thinking of Stravinsky?! Having said that, I never much cared for his second and third symphonies I must admit. But obviously still impressive achievements. 

So much music has degraded what real music is about, that ideal balance and vision both sought and not excused by the developing errors that are the Classical and Romantic eras. Although like any genre, the Classical era has brought us beautiful creations, but music has become reimagined and restored by the likes of John Williams and other collaborators who have reached perfection in their certain works or songs. I wouldn't trade the last 100 years of music for anything; the imagination is, for lack of other terms, near perfect. This is because its roots going back even further, aren't just Classical, but a whole mix of things to be found and reinterpreted.

Maybe one should stop being so influenced by primitive prolificness and its ego-based fraud, and start embracing the true knowledge of collaboration and unification.

So many great compositions of the 20th century. A real composer nowadays knows exactly what they're getting into, and they fervently serve the purpose of it despite the mob bosses cutting their checks and silencing their intelligence. Thumbs down to your predictable cat meme, although there is no thumbs down button.

Screenshot_2021-04-29-14-03-55~8.png

9 minutes ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Maybe one should stop being so influenced by primitive prolificness and its ego-based fraud, and start embracing the true knowledge of collaboration and unification.

Thumbs down to your predictable cat meme, although there is no thumbs down button.

I truly have no idea what your point is Moog.

My cat doesn't either😊

On 8/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, Disco Stu said:

Poulenc's piano music is perfect weekend morning music.

I love the second improvisation here, in A-flat:

I really can't get over how perfect the A-flat improvisation is.

• 1 month later...

Berlioz Symphony Fantastique.

Conducted By Leonard Bernstein on YOUNG PEOPLES CONCERTS.

Probably the key transitional composition between Beethoven and the Romantic Era.

Not a.big fan but it's one of the most important pieces in the repertoire

On 4/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, bollemanneke said:

A few Mozart Symphonies conducted by Jaap ter Linden. That's it. I'm never, EVER, listening to this kind of music on modern instruments! Next up, Beethoven's symphonies conducted by Gardiner.

I also can never go back to "big band" recordings of anything before c.1860. I have never heard a bad recording from Gardiner. His Mozart operas are all outstanding, his Bach (about whom he wrote a terrific book) is sublime, I've been making my way through his cantata cycle, and his Beethoven is fiery and precise, two things I look for in Beethoven. He also has a great cycle of Schumann and Brahms that's worth checking out. For the time periods he tends to stick to, he's by far my favorite conductor.

• 1 month later...

Beethoven's 7th Symphony.  It is my favorite of the symphonies (the only ones I do not care for are 1,2, and 8).  Every movement has something profound to offer, and the final movement is as fun as music gets.  

• 2 weeks later...