What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

28 minutes ago, Loert said:

Schubert's "Great" Symphony really is great:

It is, and so is that Karajan version - the one I grew up with. I later got his 78 remake (as part of his full Schubert cycle), and while it cuts less (just repetitions I think - perhaps the 60s version was shorter to fit it on a single LP?), it doesn't have quite the grandeur or punch of the earlier one.

Recently, I won a 2004 recording by Bertrand de Billy with the RSO Vienna (by correctly identifying the symphony from the opening bars of the score - not that hard), based (as the booklet says) on the Bärenreiter Urtext edition and performed without any cuts. A full 14 minutes longer than the 68 Karajan and hugely different in style, it's very well performed and certainly very interesting - and probably much more authentic. I wouldn't give up the Karajan for it, but I fully recommend it as a contrasting version.

My 68 Karajan came coupled with his 71 recording of the orchestral version of Beethoven's Große Fuge - also a brilliant (and wildly avant-garde, for its time) work:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.n-tv.de/leute/Beethovens-10-Sinfonie-ist-vollendet-article22794252.html

Oh wow. I think this is so cool and impressive. And the scherzo, which they're already showing you, sounds really fitting. Let's see how it turns out overall. What do you think about it?

You are alluding to the recordings of the 1988 composition by B. Cooper I think. But they were not created by an AI.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._10_(Beethoven/Cooper)

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's already recordings of the completed tenth.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

That's what I thought, when I heard the new ABBA single. Sounds like an AI created it, based on their old stuff, but excluding the singles.

Björn, AI, call the genius man whatever you like. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pavane-Ravel-Satie-Faure-Orpheus-Chamber-Orchestra-NEW-CD-1997-DG-/293966645532

$100.00?!!

I just bought it for a fiver. :D

R-9484988-1481465050-2355.jpeg.jpg

I love The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra for their 20th Century music. These days it's like I prefer chamber orchestras over large orchestras. Am I the only one?

• 3 weeks later...

Peer Gynt (Grieg) - The complete score on Bis conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud. Excellent performance but, like soundtracks with dialogue on them, the dialogue sections make it a bit of a struggle at times (especially as I don't speak a word of Norwegian). Like a slightly over generous soundtrack, there's a superb hour in there somewhere, but at full length it's a bit of a slog. And yes, I know the Peer Gynt suites exist (I have several versions, including performances by the same forces - I have the complete Grieg orchestral music on BIS... and Naxos come to that) but, again, it would be nice to have the music in narrative order and a little more than just what's in the suites.

7 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

the dialogue sections make it a bit of a struggle at times (especially as I don't speak a word of Norwegian).

Well, you should. ;)

7 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

it would be nice to have the music in narrative order and a little more than just what's in the suites.

There's several good recordings of highlights from the whole work. Try Tate's on EMI/Warner.

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Peer Gynt (Grieg) - The complete score on Bis conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud. Excellent performance but, like soundtracks with dialogue on them, the dialogue sections make it a bit of a struggle at times (especially as I don't speak a word of Norwegian). Like a slightly over generous soundtrack, there's a superb hour in there somewhere, but at full length it's a bit of a slog. And yes, I know the Peer Gynt suites exist (I have several versions, including performances by the same forces - I have the complete Grieg orchestral music on BIS... and Naxos come to that) but, again, it would be nice to have the music in narrative order and a little more than just what's in the suites.

I only have the Järvi recording, but I never minded the dialogue. Anyone who only knows the suites is certainly missing out. (I first heard the original version of Mountain King - with choir - on Doyle's Needful Things album. Took me years to find out why it had a choir)

When compiling the suites, Grieg dropped the choir from Mountain King because it would be cost prohibitive to hire a choir for just about a minute of a concert. That would have led to fewer performances of his work.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I only have the Järvi recording, but I never minded the dialogue. Anyone who only knows the suites is certainly missing out. (I first heard the original version of Mountain King - with choir - on Doyle's Needful Things album. Took me years to find out why it had a choir)

Agree that there's a lot of great material that's not in the suites. I will probably do something by way of editing it down to omit the dialogue in a playlist which might increase the frequency with which I listen to it! Funnily enough I have three versions of the full thing, the aforementioned version on BIS, another on Naxos (I bought their complete Grieg orchestral music as well, although I think BIS and Naxos actually each omit one minor thing each or something, but close enough!) as well as another on Unicorn, with the LSO conducted by Per Dreier but I don't recall that version at all. The Naxos recording is pretty great, conducted by Engeset (as is the whole set) but the BIS just edges it for me.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

When compiling the suites, Grieg dropped the choir from Mountain King because it would be cost prohibitive to hire a choir for just about a minute of a concert. That would have led to fewer performances of his work.

Obviously. Rearrangements to omit voices and fit the standard setup of a typical symphony orchestra are common. But back then (before Google, probably), it wasn't so easy to find out where the version with choir came from.

After another 'I want to get to know more composers but am too lazy to find them' phase, I've started listening to the Complete Karajan recordings on DG. I'm in for a ride, I think, and am very glad I gave up on the complete works of Bach and Mozart.

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I've started listening to the Complete Karajan recordings on DG. I'm in for a ride, I think

Very much so! I started the same thing about 2 years ago and still haven't finished, while often skipping entire disc batches.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I love some stuff he did in the 70s. Will probably not skip one disc, but I do hope someone will make a comprehensive Neville Marriner set too in the future.

There's already a 30 CD Argo box of selected Marriner recordings. This seems to be out of print now. There's a larger, more recent ASMF box from Universal which mixes both Argo/Decca and Philips recordings, in addition to licensing from other labels, and there's some recordings conducted by Iona Brown and Joshua Bell thrown in.

Klemperer does a very unique Dvorak n9. Don't discount Reiner or Walter either. I honestly can't remember which is my favorite anymore. It may not even be any of the three I mentioned. I have so many recordings of that piece, but those three I listened to much more than once when I discovered them.

The old school really know how to pull out the intended sound of that symphony when it was composed. It needs to be a soup of the American and European and not just one or the other.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't you going to say JW ripped off Dvorak? ;)

Well, seeing as he himself ripped off Beethoven... I never understood why that was okay. But yeah, death to JW obviously.