What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Terrible bad, and it's weird because the soloists do a great job.

I love Karajan, but I would never listen to him conducting a Bach work.

It maybe a "too english" approach (and their latin is bad... but who speak latin these days???), but I tend to go with Gardiner when we talk about Bach's sacred works.

There is also Herreweghe, he's belgian.

Two great conductors for Bach's cantatas and sacred works.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Bach, St Matthew's passion, Karajan. That choir is just... terrible.

I haven't heard it. The soloist cast looks good (and Janowitz is always a big plus), but I'd expect Karajan's very Romantic, hardly historically informed style to be quite at odds with anything pre-(at least)-Classical. And choirs from before the 80s (?) are generally considered to be deficient, at least for this kind of repertoire (where intonation, precision, and overall aesthetics of sound matter more than sheer mass and power).

This was from a great concert at the LA Phil.  

IMG_7791s.jpg

Strauss, Smith, and Salonen
Los Angeles Philharmonic
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
James McVinnie, organ
Gabriela Peña-Kim, violin (for JS Bach)

JS Bach Prelude from Partita No. 3 in E major, BWV 1006 <- Masterpiece and the very first piece ever performed in the still under construction Disney Hall by orchestra's concert master.  The audience members were only Disney Hall's architect, Frank Gehry, and LA Phil conductor, Salonen.  
Esa-Pekka Salonen Fog (U.S. premiere of orchestral version) <- a reimagining of the JS Bach piece and dedicated to architect Frank Owen Gehry (FOG).  
Gabriella Smith  Breathing Forests (world premiere, LA Phil commission) <- Fantastic and intense organ concerto!!
Richard Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra <- Fantastic!!

Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio (Elliot Goldenthal) - Definitely one of those early purchases during my film music (and associated crossover works) that was perhaps a bit too challenging for my tastes at the time. It's still not an easy work, but with the benefit of a greater exploration of 20th century classical, this time I found it compelling and thrilling. Glad to have finally revisited it.

I also did well at the Oxfam music store in Southampton... plenty to enjoy this week (just as well as I also brought back a dose of covid with me...).IMG_9654 copy.jpg

On 06/02/2022 at 12:31 AM, bruce marshall said:

According to this course, Stravinsky was worried that the NAZIS- thinking he was Jewish- would ban his music.

Frightened of losing lucrative performance royalties he cravenly assured the leadership he wasn't Jewish.

Nice guy that Igor.😒

Contrast Igor to Hungarian Bela Bartok.

BB refused to perform in Germany after NAZIs came to power.

He left his home country when their Fascist govt.aligned with Germany .

A class act

I tend to gravitate to English operettas (Victor Herbert, Sigmund Romberg, Gilbert & Sullivan), they're just more in the lineage of the 20s-40s Broadway musicals that I like, but I can dig a Viennese operetta if I'm in the right mood.

On 11/03/2022 at 6:00 AM, bruce marshall said:

You know your in for torture when a composer titles a piece " Structures".

Well, at least it isn't lowercase and doesn't begin/end with ellipses.

It's getting down to the ground: Beethoven No.9
I know Teodor Currentzis is sometimes criticized for his extreme emphasis, but when I heard this, I quickly realized that it's my new favorite recording of Beethoven's 9th so far. It's just so dynamic and really fun to listen to: this is what Beethoven's music deserves.

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/107891-000-A/geburtstagskonzert-von-teodor-currentzis/

If the link from Arte does not work: 

Berg, three orchestral pieces. I have an idea. I'm going to be a composer too. I'll hire an orchestra and tell them: okay, just go nuts for 20 minutes, I don't really care what you're doing as long as you all agree to give each other some solo time and also, be really loud. Second Viennese school indeed...

Speaking of the Second Viennese School: I heard something by Schönberg earlier. But from when he was still a late Romantic.  "Verklärte Nacht" I kind of love it. Especially in the first part, where he twice resolves the dominant cadenza so uncharacteristically. Everything that comes after that on the album, yeah, is just hard to access. I still haven't found a personal approach to twelve-tone music, etc. Does anyone know of a good piece to get excited about it with? 

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah the whole Schoenbergian "school" is maybe second to Nazism as Europe's greatest mistake of the 20th century.

WOW. This is inappropriate.

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Berg, three orchestral pieces.

Awesome!

On 11/03/2022 at 6:00 AM, bruce marshall said:

"Structures".

Even awesomer.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah the whole Schoenbergian "school" is maybe second to Nazism as Europe's greatest mistake of the 20th century.

That's pretty funny, though.

Better go with the early Viennese school.

On 07/03/2022 at 1:38 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio (Elliot Goldenthal) - Definitely one of those early purchases during my film music (and associated crossover works) that was perhaps a bit too challenging for my tastes at the time. It's still not an easy work, but with the benefit of a greater exploration of 20th century classical, this time I found it compelling and thrilling. Glad to have finally revisited it.

I also did well at the Oxfam music store in Southampton... plenty to enjoy this week (just as well as I also brought back a dose of covid with me...).IMG_9654 copy.jpg

Gergiev? Prepare to get banned!

Nice Mahler box, btw. :)

10 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

I still haven't found a personal approach to twelve-tone music, etc. Does anyone know of a good piece to get excited about it with

Probably the most successfully emotionally expressive twelve-tone piece I know.  It's a masterpiece, but of course Copland didn't strictly adhere to the serial "rules."  As he says, he mostly used the system as a method of discovering harmonies he wouldn't naturally have used.

Says you!

Anyway, while there are exceptions such as these, they prove the rule that serialism was a dead-end both artistically and intellectually and it's only terribly sad how so many potentially great artists frittered away their lives on it.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The most interesting pieces, as these two show, are the ones that use serialism more as an inspiration rather than as struct rules.

Yes, "systems" should always be subordinate to expression.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better go with the early Viennese school.

Gergiev? Prepare to get banned!

Nice Mahler box, btw. :)

Haha, yeah I actually thought twice about buying it, but it was from a charity shop so felt like an acceptable trade off... I don't actually like opera much but I do like Prokofiev so thought I'd give it a punt. As for the Mahler... I swore I wouldn't buy any more sets of his symphonies, but it was a bargain and I really like Haitink's Shostakovich so thought it was worth a punt. Only listened to the first symphony, but so far so good (not that I'm really that much of a connoisseur of Mahler performances...).

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, "systems" should always be subordinate to expression.

There's no such thing as "expression" in the absense of any sort of system.

Sometimes the system will be more flexible; sometimes less so. Setting limits on how far it is appropriate to go (in either direction) is wrong-headed.

There's lots of amazing dodecaphonic (and, more generally, serial) music.

Well, 12-tone is just like Esperanto, doomed to failure.  A person can't consciously create something like that and expect widespread adoption over time, systems of expression and communication must develop naturally over time.  Schoenberg's hubris!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

...doomed to failure...

What is the standard for "success" here? Due to the works it has produced, apart from anything else, dodecaphony isn't a failure.

...systems of expression and communication must develop naturally over time.

No doubt this is generally how it happens. Saying they "must" is a step too far. Things can happen abruptly.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Schoenberg's hubris!

Well, Schoenberg did say that there was still lots of good music to be written in C major! It just wasn't working for him...

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Speaking of the Second Viennese School: I heard something by Schönberg earlier. But from when he was still a late Romantic.  "Verklärte Nacht" I kind of love it. Especially in the first part, where he twice resolves the dominant cadenza so uncharacteristically.

Verklärte Nacht is gorgeous. I've had the Karajan recording of the string orchestra version for a few years, but I'm still missing a recording of the original version (at least I heard that live for the first time last autumn). Recommendations anyone?

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

I still haven't found a personal approach to twelve-tone music, etc. Does anyone know of a good piece to get excited about it with?

It's also mostly unknown and scary territory for me, and nothing I know much about. Nor have I ever been clear on the distinction between "serial" music and strict twelve-tone music. But for some brilliant serial stuff, Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is always welcome.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

If we're including serialism more generally than 12-tone serialism, this is one of my favourite pieces ever (serial or otherwise):

Anybody who likes Boulez is either tone deaf or a fan of heavy metal😒

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, 12-tone is just like Esperanto, doomed to failure.  A person can't consciously create something like that and expect widespread adoption over time, systems of expression and communication must develop naturally over time.  Schoenberg's hubris!

Well, it has ONE fan. And he's on this board!

Serialism is a music that , in the words of it's practitioner, must avoid personal expression.

Only abstraction is permissible. Emotional content is forbidden.

Scores are meant to be analyzed, not enjoyed as as art.

No consideration is to be made for the LISTENING AUDIENCE.

Twelve tone music all sounds as if it is in a minor key and can only express negative emotions,  in purest form.

If it wasn't for Film music it would have died long ago

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Verklärte Nacht is gorgeous. I've had the Karajan recording of the string orchestra version for a few years, but I'm still missing a recording of the original version (at least I heard that live for the first time last autumn). Recommendations anyone?

It's also mostly unknown and scary territory for me, and nothing I know much about. Nor have I ever been clear on the distinction between "serial" music and strict twelve-tone music. But for some brilliant serial stuff, Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is always welcome.

Verklakte Hecht is accessible. Later works , not so much.

Serialize and twelve tone are the same thing.

It's based on a simple principle : ALL notes must be played before any note can be repeated.

So, you don't have melodies in the traditional sense. Thus Every piece sounds  pretty much the same when it comes to themes. 

There is nothing for the audience to grab on to.

Serialism is even more abstract as there is no continuity whatsoever - even the twelve tone sequence constantly changes.

Yuk.

It is NOT the same as atonality

29 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Emotional content is forbidden.

There would be nothing wrong with that, if true. Emotion doesn't have to come in to everything.

Scores are meant to be analyzed, not enjoyed as as art.

Not sure who said that, but they were obviously wrong. Serial music is enjoyed by many.

Twelve tone music all sounds as if it is in a minor key

I don't see how it's possible to think that while understanding what constitutes the sound of a minor key. Nevertheless, there's nothing wrong with minor keys. To be honest, I'd say I prefer minor to major if pressed to make a choice.

Twelve tone music...can only express negative emotions

Didn't you just say it was forbidden from expressing any emotions?