What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

It does, yes. Really weird. I know the 7th from this cycle is fantastic, don't know what happened here. Am I correct in saying he recorded this four times? 59, 63, 77 and 80s? I seem to remember reading about a live 75 recording too.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

It does, yes. Really weird. I know the 7th from this cycle is fantastic, don't know what happened here. Am I correct in saying he recorded this four times? 59, 63, 77 and 80s? I seem to remember reading about a live 75 recording too.

There's (at least) three complete cycles on DG - 60s (the one I have and love, but his 9th isn't my favourite, despite a standout cast), 70s, and 80s. There are also video recordings which may or may not be the same as these (Karajan is (in)famous for his highly stylised playback videos). But with everything that has been made available over the past two decades or so by EMI and Decca and smaller labels, I wouldn't be surprised if there are several more cycles, e.g. an earlier one with the Philharmonia Orchestra, and almost certainly some more versions of the individual symphonies, including live recordings (there must be quite a few of those, but I don't know if any have been released).

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It is a good idea that affects the structure of the work, but the conductor has to be able to infuse some kind of variation in the repetition to make it interesting and to keep a feeling of momentum.

I think we talk about plain repetitions... the kind made to save paper!

1920px-Da_Capo_al_fine_example_short.png

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Repetitions... it was a nice idea... before the invention of the phonograph!

Wasn't it much more a classical/sonata form type of things...? Those very formulaic repetitions were much less common in later work I think.

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It is a good idea that affects the structure of the work, but the conductor has to be able to infuse some kind of variation in the repetition to make it interesting and to keep a feeling of momentum.

Exactly, but since nobody does that from Mozart onwards, it's pretty pointless.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I have, but apparently he recorded them more than once. We really need a comprehensive Marriner box set.

There's one early, incomplete set on Decca, one complete set on Philips, and one set of the mature symphonies on EMI.

Marriner is one of the most recorded conductors in the world, spread across several labels. His main discography is on Decca, Philips, and EMI. 

33 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Right, but isn't it weird that none of those labels have done what they did with Karajan? I'd love to listen to a huge Marriner set, digitally of course.

I'd love to do that too, on CD, of course.

There's an Argo (Decca) box of 28 CDs, a Decca box of 20th century music with 10 CDs, and a Universal box of 60 CDs (Decca, Argo and Philips catalogues, plus Sony Classical, Pentatone and Onyx). Then there's two Capriccio boxes of about 30CDs in total, and a Hänssler box of 10 CDs. The Universal and the Capriccio boxes are still in print.

I'll pass, thanks, and wait for a downloadable edition. Just found the Stuttgart Recordings and London Recordings on Presto, and another 14CD set that I have to buy physically, not happening. Oh, and 20th century classics can also be downloaded.

I'm wanting to purchase the Mozart Requiem. I've narrowed it down to two: John Eliot Gardiner, from 1986, or Charles Dutoit, from 1988. I am a big fan of both conductors.

Can any one of you lovelies at JWfan advise?

Yes indeed. You'd also want Hogwood's recording for the singing of Emma Kirkby. There's lots of other good recordings of this great work, and many different versions of the completion, so it doesn't hurt to have several recordings. :)

61alNixw-3L._SY780_.jpg

The only Philip Glass that I like, is on PLATINUM ;)

Thanks for that, @Jurassic Shark. Gardiner, and Dutoit are two of my very favourite conductors. Gardiner does wonders with Mozart's operas, while Dutoit's recording of THE PLANETS in the mid-'80s is, simply, stunning. I'll check out both Marriner, and Hogwood.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Fauré's REQUIEM, and Bartok's CONCERTO FOR ORCHESTRA?

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for that, @Jurassic Shark. Gardiner, and Dutoit are two of my very favourite conductors. Gardiner does wonders with Mozart's operas, while Dutoit's recording of THE PLANETS in the mid-'80s is, simply, stunning. I'll check out both Marriner, and Hogwood.

I'll take out Dutoit's recording and re-evaluate Gardiner's. :)

Regarding Faure: Lisa Beckley, the soloist on Naxos' recording conducted by Jeremy Summerly, is simply stunning.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The only Philip Glass that I like is on PLATINUM ;)

Mike Oldfield covered Philip glass? :blink:

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Mike Oldfield covered Philip Glass? :blink:

Yeah, he covered North Star, on PLATINUM.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'll out Dutoit's recording...

Does that mean that you like it?

(edit) Hold on! Are you talking about the Requiem, or the The Planets?

Does that mean that you like it?

(edit) Hold on! Are you talking about the Requiem, or the The Planets?

For a moment there I thought he had recorded the requiem, but it seems he hasn't. I find his Planets very good, but it's not very neighbour-friendly. :)

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

For a moment there I thought he had recorded the requiem, but it seems he hasn't. I find his Planets very good, but it's not very neighbour-friendly. :)

like "not very neighbour-friendly" :).

The double basses at the end of Saturn, are bone-crunching!

Yes, Dutoit has recorded the Requiem.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm wanting to purchase the Mozart Requiem. I've narrowed it down to two: John Eliot Gardiner, from 1986, or Charles Dutoit, from 1988. I am a big fan of both conductors.

Can any one of you lovelies at JWfan advise?

I've long been recommending Gardiner's 1987 recording. Ever since we last sang it (some 10 years ago) and I compared various versions, it has been my clear favourite:

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

While we're at it, Gardiner's Planets are outstanding, too!

like "not very neighbour-friendly" :)

I meant that as a positive thing - one of my neighbours has it coming.

Yes, Dutoit has recorded the Requiem.

Under the artistic name of Fauré?