What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

O you asinine Peierl*, O you Peierl-y ass! You are as lazy as a horse without a head or legs. You're utterly useless, I'll see you dangle from a gallows yet. You stupid horse, you are so lazy, you stupid Peierl are as lazy as a horse. O dear friend, I beg you, O lick my arse quickly! O lick! O lick! O quickly, quickly lick my arse. Oh dear friend, forgive me, I'll put a signet up your arse, your arse. Peierl! Nepomuk! Peierl! Forgive me!

*) Johann Nepomuk Peyerl, a baritone and friend of Mozart's.

Infantile, but still great music. There's more like this still, e.g. Leck mir den Arsch fein recht schön sauber ("lick my arse pretty nice and clean").

About 30. There's also Bona nox which includes stuff like "good night, shit in your bed and make it burst".

We did a concert with a few of these years ago.

Two Mozart violin concertos, with ASM. She's so fantastic in the cadenzas! I actually prefer her playing here than with JW, much less vibrato.

On 05/05/2022 at 2:43 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

1-3 are the prequels of Tchaikovsky symphonies.

That's a really interesting comparison to make, actually! Especially because I regard the fifth as the best.

Here are wome ASM essential albums, already at the time she was a teen, she craved for older men...

• Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major, Op.61 (Karajan)
  • Mendelssohn-Brahms Violin Co (Karajan)
  • Mozart Concertos 3, 5 (Karajan and played a bit slower, just for her, lovely!)
  • Mozart The Violin Concertos (2005)

Anne-Sophie Mutter, Ludwig van Beethoven, Herbert von Karajan, Berlin  Philharmonic Orchestra - Beethoven: Violin Concerto - Amazon.com Music

Product Family | MUTTER / MENDELSSOHN, BRAHMS Violin Concertos

Mozart: Violin Concertos 3 & 5 / Mutter, Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic  Orchestra: Karajan, Herbert Von, Karajan, Herbert Von, Herbert von Karajan:  Amazon.ca: Music

Product Family | MOZART The Violin Concertos / Mutter

His style performing Mozart and his style performing Williams are totally different.

I think women are often the best performers of W.A. Mozart's music for violin or piano.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:41 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Gershwin or Scriabin? :) If the former, I really like the Tritt/Kunzel recording, mainly for the good speed and how well the piano and orchestra follow each other.

I’ve flirted with a bunch of different recordings over the years.  Lately my preferred is Andre Previn but not the one he recorded with the LSO in the 70s.  Previn’s recording with Kostelanetz and a studio orchestra from 1960 hits just the right spot for me I think.

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve flirted with a bunch of different recordings over the years.  Lately my preferred is Andre Previn but not the one he recorded with the LSO in the 70s.  Previn’s recording with Kostelanetz and a studio orchestra from 1960 hits just the right spot for me I think.

I've got this release, and it lives up to the title of the series. Regarding Kostenaletz, his stereo arrangement of Strike up the Band, found on the Essential Gershwin twofer from Sony, is an absolute delight. I remember not being very fond of one of Previn's Rhapsody in Blues, but I can't remember how his Concerto in F is. Btw, I just got Previn's mammoth EMI box set. :lurk:

Here's the original album from 1960 without the Bernstein tracks.  I agree the Rhapsody is not a very strong performance, so the compilation of Bernstein's Rhapsody with Previn/Kostelanetz' Concerto is probably a good choice.  I'm pretty sure Kostelanetz' studio orchestra was basically just the NY Phil without the name so it's probably mostly the same players anyway.

Oh yeah @Jurassic Shark, I do also quite like this recent recording issued by Naxos that's the first recording of the new critical edition developed by The Gershwin Initiative.  The differences are way too subtle to be especially noticeable to me, but it is a pretty nice performance and recording.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Bruckner's symphonies. Here is a cycle that literally adds nothing interesting at all to the genre. Also, did this guy think he was the first to use trumpets?

Except pushing the boundaries of the symphony form and tonality as it was then accepted (his later works often were revised by others before performing them because they thought his harmonies were "wrong"), developments that his pupils Rott (briefly) and Mahler (famously) later built on. And casually premiering Philip Glass style minimalism on the way. Also, why trumpets? If anything, the defining instruments of the Bruckner sound are horns and celli.

What cycle was it?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the best example of this?

It's never as "pure" or (intentionally) limited as in "real" minimalism (not that Glass calls himself a minimalist, but that's another story), but I think it's there in all the string arpeggios (often in the adagios, which also rely on very long and gradual development) and how he likes to build entire movements out of very short motifs and building blocks (e.g. the opening movement of the 4th, much of which consists of variations and counterpoint combinations of the opening 4 note motif). Unlike other aspects of his style, like the elaborate fugues that were (briefly) continued by Rott, or the extravagant architecture and orchestration that influenced Mahler, I've never heard anyone rely on these extensively until Glass. Goldsmith sometimes seems to allude to it - The Monastery from The Final Conflict is very much in the style (if not scope) of a Bruckner adagio.

And a bore. I'm happy Marian likes Bruckner, but I didn't find anything in the Karajan cycle that I found interesting (and will not look for other recordings). I highlighted trumpets because there are many instances of LOUD!!!!! TRUMPETS!!!!! throughout the symphonies. It all feels overly long and just pointless.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

And a bore. I'm happy Marian likes Bruckner, but I didn't find anything in the Karajan cycle that I found interesting (and will not look for other recordings). I highlighted trumpets because there are many instances of LOUD!!!!! TRUMPETS!!!!! throughout the symphonies. It all feels overly long and just pointless.

No 4 is probably the most accessible, and one would think the heroic scherzo is your kind of tea.

Btw, it could be that part of your issue lies with Karajan's performances.