What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

On 03/06/2022 at 5:05 AM, bollemanneke said:

Dragging myself through Haydn's Paris symphonies, digital Karajan. Sound is obviously bad, have no idea why he thought digital was superior back then. And the music itself is a bore too. I'm amazed that after 81 symphonies he didn't cover more exciting ground. The father of the symphony maybe, but I'll take late Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky any time.

You do realize that JW patterned his neo-classical compositions after Haydn?

Probably why they are my least favorite.

This is obviously popular music in 1934, but in 2022 it's closer to classical than what we would think of as pop.

Either way, it's a really lovely, florid arrangement of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," reminds me of the style of 30s Hollywood musicals.

78_when-your-hearts-on-fire-smoke-gets-i

https://archive.org/details/78_when-your-hearts-on-fire-smoke-gets-in-your-eyes_victor-salon-orchestra-jerome-ker_gbia0186491a/When+Your+Heart's+On+Fire+SMOKE+G+-+Victor+Salon+Orchestra.flac

Not sure exactly why, but, until recently, I hadn't given Milton Babbitt's work a great deal of attention. I'm glad to have had the chance to begin to rectify that. My favourite so far is the amazing Reflections, which I can't stop listening to these days.

9 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I assume you mean Babbitt.

If so, he succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.😉

A reference to this article that Babbitt wrote and the reason he will live on in infamy as the emblem of Cold War music academia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Cares_if_You_Listen

Some people say the headline (chosen by the magazine editor) is unfair, but IMO the actual article is way more damning than the headline.

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

...IMO the actual article is way more damning than the headline.

In what way? I haven't read the full article...

5 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Reminds me of Boulez comment that.his " scores were meant to be studied, not performed" ( or something like that).

Boulez performed his scores frequently.

If you think I am going to engage in yet ANOTHER *discussion of the merits of this type of music....

You sir, are insane!😅

* see page 30

26 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

In what way? I haven't read the full article...

Boulez performed his scores frequently.

Because nobody else would. 😎

Okay, now I've read the full article (didn't realise it was so easily available online) and still don't see what's damning about it. And the title obviously isn't an accurate representation of it.

17 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

If you think I am going to engage in yet ANOTHER *discussion of the merits of this type of music....

I know you're not going to engage! 

You know, you can add reverb to each and every music you listen to.

There are filters for that.

But, I agree nothing adds a more natural reverb than a nice tube amp.

One day, I'll buy one.

I was. In most cases, I much prefer his 70s and 60s stuff to the digital 80s recordings, at least where I've heard direct comparisons of the same work. For one thing, the *sound* of the analogue recordings is usually far superior. The readings are also less tight and a bit more lethargic in the 80s (not excessively so, but usually enough to make the new versions inferior and unnecessary), and the Berliner's playing is often a bit sloppy. Not so much that it's a problem, but still a difference to earlier recordings. I generally find his 70s Strauss outstanding and his 80s remakes unnecessary. But he only recorded the Alpensinfonie in the 80s, and it's also one of my favourites, yet I can't help but wonder how good it would have been 10 years earlier. Then again, it was made during his rehearsals for the Salzburg festival, and the later live performance from there (almost unreleased, except for a radio broadcast, some obscure Japanese CD, and this YouTube video presumably sourced from one or the other) is out of this world.

The problem with his Wiener Planets is that the playing by the Wiener Philharmoniker isn't just sloppy and dirty, but at times downright ugly. They probably just didn't like the music - Karajan was one of the earliest conductors to bring The Planets to mainland Europe, back when nobody took British composers seriously. Still, I applaud his commitment, and even if it's not a good recording (though some disagree and even rank it much higher than his Berlin remake, though I can't understand it), it may well have played an important role in ensuring the work a place in the European repertoire.

I couldn't agree more about his 70s recordings sounding far superior, but this one was a really pleasant surprise. Bracing myself for his 80s Beethoven cycle though. 

As for the VP underperforming: it might do this orchestra some good not to choose what they like and just get the job done and realise this is 2022. They can find themselves as cultured as they like, every time I compare them to Berlin, Berlin wins. Every time. They just have an energy Vienna hasn't got. Oh dear me, I'm using the word energy...

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

As for the VP underperforming: it might do this orchestra some good not to choose what they like and just get the job done and realise this is 2022. They can find themselves as cultured as they like, every time I compare them to Berlin, Berlin wins. Every time. They just have an energy Vienna hasn't got. Oh dear me, I'm using the word energy...

No, this isn't 2022, this was 1961.

As for the Wiener and energy (around the same time, just 3 years later):

But the fact that you're saying that they might not have liked it that much is enough for me. It's not up to them to like something. It's up to audiences. If they think they're above society, they should play privately in their own houses.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

But the fact that you're saying that they might not have liked it that much is enough for me. It's not up to them to like something. It's up to audiences. If they think they're above society, they should play privately in their own houses.

I disagree. Any artist or group of artists has to be invested, at least to a certain degree, to at least some aspect of what they're doing to produce something that goes beyond being merely competent. In any larger ensemble, you'll always find some people who are less happy with certain parts of a given programme than others, but if something goes against the group's will as a whole, there's not much point in pitting them against their audience. You won't usually get something transcendent out of a body of group of musicians performing something entirely against their will.

That's different from just being lazy and doing routine repertoire poorly just because they can't be arsed (as the Philharmoniker at least as the Staatsopernorchester have certainly been guilty of at times - at least in the form the orchestra takes when it's made up of too many unexperience substitute players and bored veterans).

And it also doesn't change the fact that I disagree with their preconceptions against contemporary Britsh music in the 60s. But in my view, they shouldn't play it well against their will because of the audience. They should play it well because they should discover it's good music.

58 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As for the Wiener and energy (around the same time, just 3 years later):

Lohengrin and "energy" don't work in the same sentence...

MOZART REQUIEM.

John Eliot Gardiner.

Montiverdi Choir/English Baroque Soloists.

Remember when I posted...

On 05/06/2022 at 12:29 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Perfection.

... about...

On 05/06/2022 at 12:29 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Fauré Requiem.

Charles Dutoit/Montreal.

...?

Well, it goes double, for this.

It's pleasant to see some love for Karajan, he was a real architect of music conducting.

I always loved that nice DG 2-CD set, including Beethoven's Symphonies 5, 6 & 9 (from the seventies cycle if I remember well).

Complementary to the 60s boxset cycle, of course.

Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker : Beethoven* – Symphonies Nos. 5, 6 & 9

Primary

24 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's pleasant to see some love for Karajan, he was a real architect of music conducting.

I always loved that nice DG 2-CD set, including Beethoven's Symphonies 5, 6 & 9 (from the seventies cycle if I remember well).

Complementary to the 60s boxset cycle, of course.

Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker : Beethoven* – Symphonies Nos. 5, 6 & 9

Primary

The 70s set is the best for me so far, though that 9th is surprisingly bad. LOVE his fifth and seventh, though, and the Eroica and 1 is also fantastic.

Ok I encoded some of my fav Karajan CDs, I'm ready for an explosion of sounds!

• 1963-Karajan Beethoven Symphonies (63)
  • 1969-Rostropovich Dvorak Tchaikovsky
  • 1971-Mendelssohn Symphonien
  • 1972-Verdi Requiem
  • 1982-Mozart_ Great Mass C minor
  • 2003-Beethoven Symphonies 5.6.9

image.png

I don't know what it takes to excite you, but I personally like Mozart’s symphonies from the twenties onwards. And, and, and, an exception... his Salzburg Symphonies (classified as divertimenti), which are probably the best earlier works of Mozart.