What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

• 2 weeks later...

Rattle Mahler 8 with the BPO. MUCH better than the old one he did with the CBSO. This piece requires a level of control on the podium I'm just not sure he had back then, although I enjoy the Wunderhorn symphonies from that cycle. I've only heard a couple of 8ths that I actually like. It's a weird piece.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2023 at 4:30 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Speaking of rarely played stuff:

image.jpeg  image.jpegimage.jpeg 

Great concert of Langgaard and Nielsen tonight at the Brucknerhaus in Linz, conducted by Thomas Dausgaard (who also conducted all but one of the CD recordings I have of Langgaard's stuff). Stunning music (some of it reminded me a bit of Rosenman at times) excellently played, and antiphonal timpani are always worth a trip to a concert hall.

That must have been a thrilling program! Beautiful hall too!  Neilson 4 is a work you need a very good seat for and I can see from the pics you have a great seat!  I last heard it at Disney Hall - such a great work.  How was the Langgaard 6 ending?  

2 hours ago, karelm said:

That must have been a thrilling program! Beautiful hall too!  Neilson 4 is a work you need a very good seat for and I can see from the pics you have a great seat!  I last heard it at Disney Hall - such a great work.  How was the Langgaard 6 ending?  

The ending was stunning, but the whole work is filled with all kinds of effects that make it quite an experience when heard live. Like in the Nielsen, there's two sets of timpani, but for the Langgaard they weren't set up at opposite sides of the orchestra, so I'd never even noticed them on CD. The same goes for the offstage brass, which at the Brucknerhaus was playing from somewhere behind the auditorium.

It's a fine hall, and orchestra, too. My first visit to the Brucknerhaus, but it's only a 1.5 hour train ride from Vienna, so hopefully not my last.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There is a 96 (I know!) CD set of music, conducted by Andrew Preview.

I am seriously thinking of getting this. Does anyone have this? Cosmic thoughts?

That's the almost complete Warner (EMI & Teldec) box. It's very good, and some of it is newly remastered by Art & Son. Note that not everyone's happy with Art & Son's remasterings in various boxes. There's also a big Sony from Previn's earlier years that's now OOP. 

On 15/02/2023 at 3:05 PM, bollemanneke said:

Currently Beethoven 9, Karajan, VPO, 1946. Sounds horrible. Flubs and timing issues too.

The VPO you said?

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Roussel, symphony 4. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP.

I got the boxed set of his symphonies on Naxos and think I enjoyed them?! But guess the fact that I can't remember isn't a ringing endorsement. Currently on this random purchase. Actually pretty good stuff. Tonal and dramatic, particularly the symphony which is terrific. Live recording but a fine performance and mostly quiet audience. Nice abstract cover art to continue from the other thread!

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KK said:

Listening to this masterpiece and realizing now where one of my favourite Goldsmith cues of all time came from:

Can’t believe I never made that connection before as a fan of both Jerry and Bartok. That really is a case of both stealing from the best but also taking something and turning it into its own thing in spectacular fashion. 

Started listening to Vivaldi's L'Estro Armonico, played by Brecon Baroque. Amazing performances. Thank you Dave Hurwitz from Classics Today for the recommendation. Bad album choice when your trip to Italy is most likely not going to go ahead.

Anyone check out the new Apple Classical app?

Supposedly it has a significantly better metadata, and thus search & recommendation functions (orchestra, conductor, genres, soloists, ensembles, periods, etc.) than any other streamer (it's built on the old Primephonic). It's gotten decent reviews so far, and, despite being a YouTube Music subscriber, I'm tempted to check it out. 

App is free to download (iPhone only) and check out the functions, recommendations, etc., but obviously you can't actually play anything without being an Apple Music subscriber.

10 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Supposedly it has a significantly better metadata, and thus search & recommendation functions (orchestra, conductor, genres, soloists, ensembles, periods, etc.) than any other streamer (it's built on the old Primephonic).

IDAGIO called.

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

ey-Jid-WNr-ZXQi-Oi-Jwcm-Vzd-G8t-Y292-ZXI

Completely forgot I had this. Bought it decades ago and only listened to it once, I think. Was surprised that it's even a double CD. 

So... any good?

15 hours ago, AC1 said:

ey-Jid-WNr-ZXQi-Oi-Jwcm-Vzd-G8t-Y292-ZXI

Completely forgot I had this. Bought it decades ago and only listened to it once, I think. Was surprised that it's even a double CD. 

Absolutely brilliant, Alex!

His "Angels" series is nothing short of astonishing.

ab67616d0000b2737c02e63ba75304966929d20c

Really loving this. I had maybe expected some Jonny Greenwood-type weirdness, but this is far more traditional and accessible. There are even some slight religioso chord progressions in that "Pas de Deux" cue. Very impressive from the former Daft Punk member.

I don't know if this counts as "classical" exactly...  but this is one of my favorite non-film-score pieces of music!  This isn't just Pi converted into some random meandering "song"; this is the first 226 digits of the base-12 value of Pi brilliantly composed into a beautiful waltz.  (He also made a 330 digit version, but I and many of his other listeners prefer the way the 226th digit segues so cleanly into the coda)

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I so love these sorts of pieces which sound like they're teetering on the edge of total chaos.

He's an interesting composer who himself teeters on the edge of romanticism and modernity.  I know some composer friends who loathe him for being too traditional!!

That's certainly a take you can have.

As Gardiner himself has said, there are really three types of Bach, the one who speaks, the one who sings, and the one who dances. All nicely illustrated in the Easter Oratorio.

"But it is a very different thing when two melodies are so interwoven that they converse together like two persons upon a footing of pleasant equality." -Johann Nikolaus Forkel

"The most complicated forms of counterpoint were a natural means of expressing his emotions," a quote about Brahms, but as he was a student of the works of Bach and other contemporaries, I believe it applies equally to Bach.

20 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Tchaikovskky symphony 1, Jansons with Oslo Phil. What an orchestra! I have a feeling they're going to blow me away with their 5 annd 6.

His recording of the 6th with the Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks is extremely good, possibly the best I’ve ever heard. And if you think Oslo’s a great orchestra (which they are) the BRS is top 5 in the world.

38 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Dvorak, like Rachmaninov, is one of those composers that I always forget how much I like their music...

My listening has comprised of this...

Dame Ethel Smyth: Mass in D & Overture to 'The Wreckers' - Chandos:  CHSA5240 - SACD or download | Presto Music

...which I enjoyed in a "doesn't really stand out" kinda way. I don't know if it's just me but a lot of early 20th century English choral music sounds a bit samey to me and this doesn't do much to change my mind, fine though it is. The Wreckers overture is a lot of fun though.

Much more enjoyable was...

Philip Sawyers: Cello Concerto & Symphony No. 2 - Nimbus: NI6281 - CD or  download | Presto Music

...which hits my modern, but tonal, sweet spot for modern classical music. One of those random composers nobody has ever heard of but whose music is worth a listen.