The official HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON thread

Naïve Old Fart

Well the project was conceived as a basic cable miniseries and only had a small theatrical run because Ted Turner liked the dailies

The last track is genuinely good though and has real instruments

@Jay you should give Gods and Generals a listen. Fully orchestral that one. Must have had a bigger budget. Edelman came back to work on it but it’s mostly a John Frizzel work. Massive massive score to an incredibly long and boring film. 

Gettysburg is a fantastic score. The only Edelman score that I truly, truly love.

The expanded album is a difficult sell because the extra tracks are not a good listening experience by themselves, but they work better when interlaced with the first disc. That is one of the formative movies, soundtracks, and subject matters of my youth. 

It helps to have visited the battlefield. Such damn, lovely ground. When it's over, I shall miss it very much. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

They might’ve waited for the live-action film to be released with a brand new JP HTTYD score. 

Of course we do. You don't remake your animated film in live action just to use wildly different music. Nostalgia is the whole point.

• 4 months later...

Here's a great article on the somewhat mixed legacy 10 years later of HTTYD 2, an outstanding epic fantasy movie whose high quality and bold storytelling choices may also have worked against it.

Ten Years Later, How to Train Your Dragon 2 Was a Turning Point for DreamWorks Animation

In the first I especially liked the humor. I laughed my ass off.

That is why I was disappointed by the second.

There even the animated series was funnier.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Hiccup's speech at the end of this film really feels like it's planting a flag in the sand that the next film doesn't want to pick up. Between the big tone shift from 2 to 3 as well as the fact that it took five years instead of three (or was it two that they promised?) it just felt like a troubled production. I would love to hear all the dirty laundry from that film. Not since Superman 2 have I wanted to see the film that never was so much.

For me, I'd like to see the *actual* sequel to Captain America: The Winter Soldier which was promised at the end of that movie. I really disliked much of Civil War, and felt cheated that the MCU felt the need to make Captain American 3 more of an Avengers movie.

And heck, even though the original Doctor Strange wasn't *great*, I really wanted the Mordo tease at the end of that to get paid off in a sequel with him as the main antagonist. Multiverse of Madness I also found to be a great disappointment despite some cool Raimi bits here and there. But it was like the people who made it got a one-sentence summary of WandaVision and worked from that rather than really knowing what was going on with her character.

Yavar

What was promised at the end of the first movie?

53 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But it was like the people who made it got a one-sentence summary of WandaVision and worked from that rather than really knowing what was going on with her character.

I remember reading that that was precisely what happened. The teams on WV and MoM worked separatedly without much knowledge on what the other team was doing.

Anyway, about HTTYD, I consider the first two some of the best animated movies from the last decade. The one is so charming and heartwarming while the second is more epic and dramatic, but both are outstanding. They really feel like Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back in that regard.

The third one is okay and it has a magnificent John Powell score... But overall it is a bit lacking in comparison with the other two. So... like Return of the Jedi!

I also love the 3rd, and I agree on your thoughts!!!

I think tge trilogy as a whole is brilliant and each of the film has it's own unique thing that makes it stand out, while also feeling like it's part of the same story.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I misread your post and thought you meant something was promised at the end of Cap 1 that wasn't delivered on in Cap 2; Now I understand what you want.  Well sort of; Watching that clip, I don't actually know what you wanted from Cap 3 that wasn't there.  Doesn't Bucky show up in that one?

Sure he shows up, but he's very much an afterthought in that one, and getting him back isn't really a major struggle or point of it. I wanted a lean, gritty Winter Soldier follow-up, not a messy and convoluted "Vs." team-up face-off movie that just existed to set up future movies rather than paying off Captain America-specific storylines set up by the previous two (far superior IMO) movies.

Yavar

I don't care for Civil War either. The plot is extremely convoluted, Zemo's plan is ridiculous (especially when you consider he's "just a guy" and not a full powered supervillain, even if I liked his motivation) and the whole thing only exists to break the Avengers in two halves right before Thanos arrives.

The airport scene is fun... But that only makes it hide the numerous other deficiencies of the movie.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

and the whole thing only exists to break the Avengers in two halves right before Thanos arrives.

I'm not sure they were THAT buttoned down. Maybe. I mean, I don't think Age of Ultron really accounted for SHIELD being busted up in Winter Soldier either.

It REALLY exists to get RDJ in one more movie. Or two. Or... Four? AND they got to add Spider-Man. And and and and...

I love Civil War but it isn't Cap 3 it's Avengers 2.5. How do you know if it's a Cap movie or an Iron Man movie? If it's Cap then Howard Stark is Dominic Cooper. (Yes, I'm including Agent Carter.) If it's Iron Man then he's John Slattery.

If it's How to Train Your Dragon then he isn't in it.

I had heard suggestions that these films being released around other sequels of successful films might've dented their potential to make even more, yet I get the feeling it wouldn't have changed much if they weren't there (especially when those films in question are for an entirely different demographic)