Are you currently writing, or seriously planning to write, a book on John Williams?

Jurassic Shark

Are you currently writing, or are you planning to write, a book on John Williams?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently writing, or are you planning to write, a book on John Williams?

• Yes, a non-academic book
    • Yes, an academic book
    • No

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Just got my PhD yesterday, with grade "Excellent"! :)

The defense was done via the internet eventually..

I'll upload the full thesis in a few days.

WOW contratulations Konstantinos, that's awesome!!!

59 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Bravo!! Hope you find a good way to celebrate your well-deserved achievement!

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Finally! Congrats. Looking forward to perusing it!

Now that you're a ' doctor' can you write me prescription for Vicodin?😉

Congratulations!.😊

(My Sister has an M.A. in music)

On 3/31/2020 at 12:12 PM, filmmusic said:

well, apart from the melody and the thematic unity chapters, they are not one staff examples.

They are 2 or 3 staves detailed musical examples, thats it's obvious are not transcribed by ear. Here's an example:

Is that " TIE Fighter Attack".?

I believe excerpts for educational uses are allowed. If you are reproducing publisher's material you may need permission.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I wonder if it's possible to run the whole thing through Google Translate?

I think there are some software that do that for whole pdfs without messing with the format of the paper.

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked to write an English summary of my dissertation, to upload it in an official Greek library site with other dissertations.
If you read this, does it make sense, grammaticaly and syntactically (since English is not my native language)? Do I have any errors?

The present dissertation aims to outline John Williams’s style, as it is evident through his film music themes (1975-2018), from a sample of 71 films.

In the introductory chapter the definitions of style and theme are clarified while the historical significance of 1975 with Jaws – as the starting year of study of the composer’s style – is pointed out. The present bibliography around Williams that has to do mainly with the narrative nature of the themes is touched upon onward, the chapters of the research are summarized and the methodology that was used for the writing of the project is presented.

The first chapter examines the horizontal axis, namely melody. The composer’s difficulty in building melodies that sound inevitable is noted, while some common melodic features of his themes are mentioned like a distinctive rhythmic design that gives melody breath, distinctive note patterns with large leaps from the very first bars, unique to the composer’s style, as well as well-defined phrases with strict borders that remind of neoclassical themes. Fourths, fifths and seconds constitute dominant intervals in melodic building, while Aeolian mode is dominant among the composer’s modal melodies.

The second and largest chapter of the dissertation concerns harmony which is mainly chromatic but tonal, an amalgamation of older styles and composers. Harmonic occurrences that pertain to the quality of the chords like modal inflections, specific harmonic progressions like the “tarnhelm” progression and the progression that includes the raised subdominant, double dominants, parallel harmony etc. are presented in specific examples, while the nature of their structure like in quartal harmony, in seventh etc. chords, in added-note chords and in pedal, doesn’t remain unexplored.

In the third chapter of formal archetypes some of the most basic syntax types of the total volume of Williams’s themes are pointed out, with sentence and period – both originating from classical prototypes – dominating. In the meantime some “new” types are mentioned like the sentence with a dissolving third statement, the trifold sentence or the developing sentence, all more modern versions of the classical sentence. A summarized statistical table is presented in the end of the chapter, that examines each type’s frequency in the themes under analysis, as well as some conclusions that are hidden under the numbers.

Thematic unity constitutes the subject of the fourth and final chapter. After the need for connective elements between the themes of a film is examined, the chapter moves on to 11 examples from films where the phenomenon is more or less evident. These connections consist of motivic similarities in the foreground or background, while the analyses are influenced in a large degree from Reti’s, The thematic process in music.  

The epilogue, after formulating in its beginning the dissertation’s contribution to the academic world, namely the grouping and systematic presentation of the general stylistic traits of Williams as a film composer, summarizes and recaps its basic points.